Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times

Advertisements

Police: Man Caused Crash, Fled Scene - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/28471229/detail.html - broken link)

amazed at what people think they can get away with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 AM

993 posts, read 2,491,376 times
What a disgrace.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Never seen so many cowards as I have in this city. Must be something in the water, or the genetics..

Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Never seen so many cowards as I have in this city. Must be something in the water, or the genetics..
Bull, this stuff happens in every major city in the country; a quick Google search showed similar incidents recently happening in Boston, Los Angeles (http://laist.com/2011/07/04/cyclist_killed_in_hit-and-run.php - broken link), Little Rock, Columbia, S.C (http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/24/1872230/troopers-seek-driver-in-hit-and.html - broken link) and even in your beloved Michigan!

It's a disgusting act but nothing unique to San Antonio. It's like the urban myth that Texas has the worst uninsured motorists rates in the country. A 2009 Insurance Research Council study showed the five states with the highest uninsured driver estimates were Mississippi (28 %), New Mexico (26 %), Tennessee (24 %), Oklahoma (24 %), and Florida (24 %). Texas was ranked 19th in the nation at 15%, and was lower than all the states that surround it sans Louisiana. It was also very close to the national average of 13.8%.

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/fc_images/news/UninsuredMotoristsChart-1.jpg (broken link)

Yes, it could be much better; but falsely claiming that things are worse here than anywhere else is only going to lead some of us to actually research the issue and provide evidence to what the real truth is!

Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
By starting out my sentence with 'Never', there was an inference that it was a statement from me (especially considering that the word I quickly followed) as in I'VE never seen it. There was absolutely nothing stating it was a fact nor was there anything asking for statistics, but thanks for trying to call me out yet again....

Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
I think part of it is the news sensationalizing the "crime of the week". Remember a couple of months ago it was all about wrong way crashes? You dont hear about them much lately. I doubt they stopped. Now we have fleeing the scene. One news story picks up on it and then another agency has to get THEIR story in.

In short you'll see whatever the news wants you to see even though we are no better or worse than many places.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
disagree with the blame it on the media. the media only reports what happens. fact is, this stuff is still happening here.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
By starting out my sentence with 'Never', there was an inference that it was a statement from me (especially considering that the word I quickly followed) as in I'VE never seen it. There was absolutely nothing stating it was a fact nor was there anything asking for statistics, but thanks for trying to call me out yet again....
First, I wasn't calling you out, I was calling out your "observations."

Secondly, I was just clearly pointing out that that the facts don't support said "observations." I have just as much right to post those facts as you do your unsubstantiated "observations."

But thanks for the clarification, now I know there doesn't have to be any basis of truth in what you post!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
disagree with the blame it on the media. the media only reports what happens. fact is, this stuff is still happening here.
I wasnt blaming the media. I was simply saying that the way they report it makes it seems like an epidemic that is somehow different than other places, when in fact it is less than some places.

Crime happens everywhere but reporting on it in bunches makes it seems worse than it is.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I wasnt blaming the media. I was simply saying that the way they report it makes it seems like an epidemic that is somehow different than other places, when in fact it is less than some places.

Crime happens everywhere but reporting on it in bunches makes it seems worse than it is.
Agreed, but the bigger problem is that some people swallow what the media spews out without ever making any effort to validate what is being reported; hence the reason I posted examples and facts that this very same thing happens everywhere else in this country! How that is such a hard concept for some to believe is beyond me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio