Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,249 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be relocating from Chicago (downtown) to San Antonio, and I have been told that even the downtown area of San Antonio has fire ants, scorpions...Could someone please inform me as to what I should expect? I am looking to rent one of the new condos or lofts in king william or s flores. I have never visited SA or Texas, and am freaked-out by any type of insect, rodent. Say it isn't so!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 04:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
You're more likely to find scorpions in new construction than downtown, but fire ants are everywhere. They probably won't be crawling in your apartment...we get spiders, cockroaches and red ants indoors just like you would anywhere, especially if you live somewhere that doesn't spray often, but the fire ants will mostly be outdoors.

It's not as big a deal as you might think...my daughter has serious allergic reactions to fire ants, and she usually only gets stung about once a year. I think I've had one ant bite in the last five years, and it didn't even make a bump.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 PM

282 posts, read 472,003 times
I moved here from Chicago this summer so I can help you with some incite from a fellow Chicagoan. There's not much urban sprawl compared to Chicago but there is some. There's plenty of suburban areas though. I would definitely recommend looking into the Cevallos Lofts in Southtown (next to King William). They're beautiful, new, and rentals. As for the fire ant and scorpion issue, don't believe everything you hear. There are scorpions (it's South Texas!) but I have yet to see one. Fire ants shouldn't be a problem if you get your apartment sprayed regularly. Other then that, welcome to San Antonio! People here are extremely friendly, welcoming and have no problem helping out newcomers. Moving here was a great choice and I've enjoyed every moment here so far. And I'd MUCH rather be somewhere that's not buried in snow right now!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:55 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times
Part of the reason we have fireants even in downtown is that we have green spaces. Fireants don't live indoors, they're everywhere in yards, fields, anything with dirt though. You get used to them.

Definitely check out the new lofts in Southtown. Lots of options, great community. Stop by Friendly Spot for a drink

Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
Scorpions like rocky areas. In the area you are looking I doubt you'd find any but the ones around here are not deadly. If you get hit by one it'll hurt for a few days- more like a sore muscle, and then be gone. Fire ants do indeed live indoors with people. Normally you'll find them nesting under tubs and egg nests will be in your dresser drawers in between clothes. I've seen fire ant nests under tubs large enough to take several pickup truck loads of dirt away. They can also pack a wall pretty tight. Key is to keep any plumbing leaks fixed. They must have water which is why they use the underside of a tub- condensation from a cold steel tub and a hot shower will usually be enough to keep them alive a long time. You can use the household bombs or any general insecticide will keep them out. You might also want to know it's a good idea in a condo setting to put cheap ammonia down the drains periodically. It keeps the water roachs from coming up the drains into your living area. Once a week a cup in each drain that you close afterwards at night before going to bed will do it. Otherwise, an occasional field spider that will make you hurt yerself is more likely than anything. Not all spiders are bad in the area. Field spiders prey on other insects and are good to have around. Grand Daddy Long Legs are the most toxic and venomous spider known to man and are found around here. Bit they pose no threat to you. They can't bite you because their mouth is far too small. They are a good thing to have around as they eat mosquitoes and small flying insects. Tarantulas are ugly but they are generally not aggressive if you leave them alone. They prey on insects and small rodents. The ones around here will be found mostly towards to westside of town and are not deadly to humans.

Last edited by TrapperL; 01-21-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 PM

225 posts, read 597,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Scorpions like rocky areas. In the area you are looking I doubt you'd find any but the ones around here are not deadly. If you get hit by one it'll hurt for a few days- more like a sore muscle, and then be gone.
I'm sure everyone's different, but I was stung by scorpions about once a year when I lived in Kingsland (about 90 minutes north of SA), and it only hurt for a couple hours each time.

Of course, I was psychologically FREAKED OUT, but physically it wasn't a big deal at all. Kind of like a bee sting. (With your face going a bit numb.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Grand Daddy Long Legs are the most toxic and venomous spider known to man and are found around here. Bit they pose no threat to you. They can't bite you because their mouth is far too small.
This is actually a myth: snopes.com: Daddy Longlegs

Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
^^^^Interesting. I took a walk thru the web since I learned this in my 1965 Biology class. As it turns out, there are over 6000+ species of arachnids wearing this moniker. It would seem the one that I lived with northwest of San Antonio is a Harvester spider and is also called Grand Daddy Long Legs. We played with them by grabbing a handful of them and running after the girls with them. There might have been several hundred in a corner of the eaves of the house. I never gave them any thought as to being dangerous or aggressive. Anyway, it would seem that they are not poisonous at all. Yet another 8 legged critter that can make ya hurt yerself.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,249 times
Many thanks to all of you! I appreciate hearing as much as possible about San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio