Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times

Advertisements

So, yesterday morning while running errands I'm sitting at the red light at Potranco and 1604. I'm heading east, away from Westcreek for reference.
My light turns green, I do my normal of checking to make sure cross traffic is/has stopped and I see a car coming from the North on 1604 that doesn't appear to be slowing at all so I don't budge.
Easily 5 seconds after my light turned green this guy blows through the light. I'm agitated because if someone wasn't paying attention it's a major accident in the making, but that's not the worst of it.
Right behind him is a Bexar County Sheriff, but he actually stopped for the red light.

I expected him to throw on his lights and sirens and go get this guy but he just sits there at the light!

So, they'll write speeding tickets (my wife has gotten two in 8 months but I'm not complaining) but to me a greater hazard in this city is the red light running.

Why aren't they enforcing this?

I hate to say it but this city needs a bunch of red light cameras. Maybe that will lessen the problem some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 AM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Several studies have shown that red light cameras actually increase accident rates (rear ender instead of a t-bone). Instead of lobbying for red light cameras, lobby for the police to do their job. When you encounter a scenario as you described, call into the sheriff's office and state the situation with the officer's car number.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
You mean there actually is traffic control in Bexar County? WOW, now that could get infectious and San Antonio might just start doing the same thing. What a concept, traffic laws that are enforced!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
So, yesterday morning while running errands I'm sitting at the red light at Potranco and 1604. I'm heading east, away from Westcreek for reference.
My light turns green, I do my normal of checking to make sure cross traffic is/has stopped and I see a car coming from the North on 1604 that doesn't appear to be slowing at all so I don't budge.
Easily 5 seconds after my light turned green this guy blows through the light. I'm agitated because if someone wasn't paying attention it's a major accident in the making, but that's not the worst of it.
Right behind him is a Bexar County Sheriff, but he actually stopped for the red light.

I expected him to throw on his lights and sirens and go get this guy but he just sits there at the light!

So, they'll write speeding tickets (my wife has gotten two in 8 months but I'm not complaining) but to me a greater hazard in this city is the red light running.

Why aren't they enforcing this?

I hate to say it but this city needs a bunch of red light cameras. Maybe that will lessen the problem some.
This city does not need red light cameras. Maybe the deputy was too busy texting or eating a donut to care or notice.

Red lights is becomming a more popular place for people to put their heads down and start texting away...not paying attention to when the light turns green. It is annoying.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,946 times
Not to get too far off topic, but this morning there was a bottle neck of traffic on san pedro and hildebrand due to either an accident or a broken down car. In the time it took me to get around all the mess I counted 3 police cars that drove by the mess, and one parked at the Jim's (in the car)....no one did a thing about it.

I was coming home down 281 the other day and the undercover camaro cop car stopped traffic, got out, and helped push a broken down car off the road "in rush hour traffic".

So I wonder what the 4 cop cars excuses were this morning for not lending a hand to a citizen in need as well as helping to make the intersection clear up for safety of all commuters?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
My sister was pulled over by SAPD for running a yellow light. He claimed that she ran a red light, but didn't actually see it. He was coming from a different direction and said his light was green while she was turning. My sister said the timing of the lights were off (which is quite common here); and, since the cop didn't actually see her run a red light, he let her go with a warning.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 AM

905 posts, read 1,631,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
My sister was pulled over by SAPD for running a yellow light. He claimed that she ran a red light, but didn't actually see it. He was coming from a different direction and said his light was green while she was turning. My sister said the timing of the lights were off (which is quite common here); and, since the cop didn't actually see her run a red light, he let her go with a warning.
Lisence, insurance and outstanding warrant check!!!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Lisence, insurance and outstanding warrant check!!!
Hot sister check! Oh, and check the address on the license for future stalking check!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Several studies have shown that red light cameras actually increase accident rates (rear ender instead of a t-bone). Instead of lobbying for red light cameras, lobby for the police to do their job. When you encounter a scenario as you described, call into the sheriff's office and state the situation with the officer's car number.
That's pretty interesting.
I wonder what the difference in injuries and damage is between a rear ender and a tbone. Which is worse if either?

I would have loved to been able to call in and put a word in about that particular officer but I didn't see a car number and as you can imagine all the impatient people behind me had been on their horns.
God forbid I keep them from their facebook at work just to save me and my family an accident.

Edit:
I did some of my own research and it appears that you're right (not that I didn't believe you) but most interesting to me is that while rear end collisions did in fact go up, injuries to the vehicle occupants went down in intersections with red light cameras.

To conclude, I would however say that it would probably be best if we could get our officers to actually enforce the law themselves instead of having a computer and contractors do it.

Last edited by prim8; 01-31-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 AM

210 posts, read 502,650 times
I'm sick and tired of seeing people treat stop signs as if they're optional. When you enter Braun Station West there is a road with about 4 stops signs on. Yesterday the guy in the lane next to me drove straight through all of them without stopping. Ridiculous! It's not as if there was no way he could miss them - The road has markings on it saying "Stop Ahead" and there are signs also warning of upcoming stop signs. It makes me so mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio