Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,103 times

Advertisements

OK - I called the design center and they wouldn't tell me. She said that the size of the A/C unit (at least in Saddle Mountain) is determined by Carier - the manufacturer of the 14 SEER units they put in their Saddle Mountain homes. She said that after the plan is chosen for the lot Carier comes in and does an analysis of the way the house faces, whether of not the home has radiant barrier and the total square footage.

If this is true - then it must be sized correctly. I know that if you live in an older home (like I do) you can't really compare A/C tonnage to a newer home since there are so many factors that come into play - like windows, insulation and the duct placement and distance from the air handler. Next time I go out to The Trails at Herff Ranch I am going to check to see what tonnage the A/C unit is in the model for the house we want to build in Saddle Mountain. The model house is nice and cool and has good air movement - but that doesn't really tell real life as I am sure they have it set ridiculously low in terms of thermostate temperature.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
It is all about cubic feet - not square feet. With a max 9' ceilings downstairs and 8' upstairs on most plans they can do it. KB does offer 2 units in many of their plans - especially ones with vaulted ceilings. Another thing to consider is how far the ducts have to travel - if it is a box (which most KB and other trac builders are) then if the unit is centrally located the duct runs are short so the unit isn't having to push the air so far. It can work if done right.
I don't know about you, but my unit is upstairs and the only duct for downstairs has to travel about 20 feet and then another 10 feet down. It feeds ALL the ducts downstairs...not very efficient and the difference in temperatures from upstairs and downstairs (not to mention the air flow) proves that. Two units are definitely better than one for two stories. KB homes will cut corners to save costs and this is one of the areas they cut back on (unless you want to pay the extra money for a second unit).

Old 10-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I don't know about you, but my unit is upstairs and the only duct for downstairs has to travel about 20 feet and then another 10 feet down. It feeds ALL the ducts downstairs...not very efficient and the difference in temperatures from upstairs and downstairs (not to mention the air flow) proves that. Two units are definitely better than one for two stories. KB homes will cut corners to save costs and this is one of the areas they cut back on (unless you want to pay the extra money for a second unit).
I hear you. I am going this weekend to look at a floorplan that doesn't have sheetrock yet to see the ducting layout. I do know that in my particular floorplan they have return air on both floors and in the model - the air flow is pretty even on both floors. What model house are you in? Do you have return air on both floors or just upstairs?

Like I said - they do offer dual units in some floorplans - especially in their more expensive line of homes. Just not in the one I am looking at. Supposedly they have Carrier do an analysis of the system for each home.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:09 PM

226 posts, read 926,061 times
Quote:
I hear you. I am going this weekend to look at a floorplan that doesn't have sheetrock yet to see the ducting layout. I do know that in my particular floorplan they have return air on both floors and in the model - the air flow is pretty even on both floors. What model house are you in? Do you have return air on both floors or just upstairs?

Like I said - they do offer dual units in some floorplans - especially in their more expensive line of homes. Just not in the one I am looking at. Supposedly they have Carrier do an analysis of the system for each home.

Analysis is done by one of their local HVAC contractors. Yes, dual units are available but like you said it is an option in their most expensive floor plans. Wish I could install two HVACs but they wouldn't entertain the option. They would have to do additional work and redraw the home plan with a second air handler - means for me no linen closet. When you pump out 2500 homes a year, they don't have the time or flexibility to make structural changes and anything else that isn't already on a price sheet.

Last edited by joe123456; 10-04-2007 at 04:01 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I hear you. I am going this weekend to look at a floor plan that doesn't have Sheetrock yet to see the ducting layout. I do know that in my particular floor plan they have return air on both floors and in the model - the air flow is pretty even on both floors. What model house are you in? Do you have return air on both floors or just upstairs?

Like I said - they do offer dual units in some floor plans - especially in their more expensive line of homes. Just not in the one I am looking at. Supposedly they have Carrier do an analysis of the system for each home.
I have the 2095 SF floor plan. There is only 1 air return. It's upstairs under the unit. I must say that they did use a good A/C unit. My Trane is still kicking after 9 years. I bought this house 5 years ago (got a good deal from a guy who wanted his VA eligibility back). I've been slowly "upgrading" (replaced all lights, faucets, etc.). I even built a storage room under the stairs.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
Analysis is done by one of their local HVAC contractors. Yes, dual units are available but like you said it is an option in their most expensive floor plans. Wish I could install two HVACs but they wouldn't entertain the option. They would have to do additional work and redraw the home plan with a second air handler - means for me no linen closet. When you pump out 2500 homes a year, they don't have the time or flexibility to make structural changes and anything else that isn't already on a price sheet.
I remember the different home levels Ellison (now KB) had back many years ago. They went from Homestead to Classic and then Hallmark. You had a "little" leeway with changing the Hallmark plan (you would call it an "option" today).

Old 10-05-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I have the 2095 SF floor plan. There is only 1 air return. It's upstairs under the unit. I must say that they did use a good A/C unit. My Trane is still kicking after 9 years. I bought this house 5 years ago (got a good deal from a guy who wanted his VA eligibility back). I've been slowly "upgrading" (replaced all lights, faucets, etc.). I even built a storage room under the stairs.
The Alamo floor plan we are looking at has multiple return air which helps tremendously. I really like the idea of having the system upgraded with two thermostats and zones for upstairs and downstairs. I might investigate with the A/C contractor assigned to my house to see if he would do this at construction on the side so I don't have to do it later.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I remember the different home levels Ellison (now KB) had back many years ago. They went from Homestead to Classic and then Hallmark. You had a "little" leeway with changing the Hallmark plan (you would call it an "option" today).
They have come a long way since then. While Hallmark used to be their top line homes - you should take a look at The Trails at Herff Ranch, Saddle Mountain (where I hope to call home by next summer), The Quarry at Stone Mountain (a coworker just bought an inventory home there - unbelievably nice), Coblestone and coming in 2008 The Woods of Alon. These communities are nothing like what they offered in years past.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 36,092 times
This rate was locked-in, in June, 2007. At that time, the interest rates were very good or so I was told. I'm new to this whole mortage thing. When you talk about "points" what does that mean? I'll look on my mortage estimate but my lender said that this rate was locked in for me. My home isn't finished yet. It was a blessing that the city inspector was there when I did my pre-drywall walk-through, however. He actually told me that the homes in my development were well-built. We have very strict building codes since Katrina/Rita, though.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:22 PM

91 posts, read 475,894 times
Buy a KB foreclosure, there's tons of them ... just like new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio