Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 AM

413 posts, read 742,217 times
Nobody is moving any professional sports team to San Antonio until they see fan support for the Spurs when they're not in the playoffs for 15 years straight. This is not a big city (despite claims that we're the 7th largest which is, shall we say, creative accounting). This is also not a baseball town. I think there is a chance for pro football, but definitely not in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 classical l3 View Post
No.

Don't you get it? San Antonio wants nothing to do with Austin and the feeling is mutual.

San Antonio and Austin may only be a matter of miles apart but the mentality, bank accounts and lifestyles could not be further apart.

San Antonio and Austin will never work together to build what some of you want as your dream San Antonio-Austin metro.

Will never happen.
You can say no all you want, but its the truth. The Spurs are the only team this city supports and will ever support. We have all sports here(Minor league hockey, Minor league baseball, Soccer and Arena football), and none of them draw(more then 7-10k per game). In order to draw the most number of fans, it needs to be easily accessible to the most number of people. The city's may not want anything to do with each other, but when you are trying to bring a 100 million project/business to your area; you have to do what you have to do. It's never going to happen(at least in my life time) The same way the the NFL. Its all pipe dreams

Old 05-21-2012, 11:52 AM

923 posts, read 1,503,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
I can only say that MLB in San Antonio would be a dream-come-true for me!
Me too, having an MLB team in San Antonio would be a dream-come-true!

I agree that the city has done a bad job with stadiums in the past, but I'd attend MLB games no matter where they located them.
Hopefully when they design it, they will look at Minute Maid Park in Houston. I really like to go to games there, the layout is very friendly.

Last edited by chud; 05-21-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
In order for this to work, the stadium would need to be half way between here and austin, and have public(rail) service to the stadium. The Wolfe is an embarrassment even by minor league standards, it looks like a place a small college should be playing at.
While I'd be the first in line for season tickets, it'll never happen. Not here and CERTAINLY not in between here and Austin. Keep in mind that MLB is a 162 game season, meaning 81 home games. Luxury suites would have to be sold out for 81 games to make it viable. You're not going to get corporations to buy boxes where they have to travel an hour to the ballpark every day for 81 days. Regular fans won't either.

And as said before SA and Austin couldn't be more different. There will never be a SA/Austin area like DFW. Too many towns in between. SA will expand out 10 and 281. Austin will go North on 35 towards Waco and branch out East eventually.

While I'd love it, it'll never happen. They need to relocate the missions to a more central area and work on getting their attendance up.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 PM

501 posts, read 949,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Nobody is moving any professional sports team to San Antonio until they see fan support for the Spurs when they're not in the playoffs for 15 years straight. This is not a big city (despite claims that we're the 7th largest which is, shall we say, creative accounting). This is also not a baseball town. I think there is a chance for pro football, but definitely not in the next few years.
I'm sorry but you're just wrong.

I won't even address the "they need to see fan support" because that's just a failed attempt at "creative thinking" on your part.

As for market size, yes, it's misleading to say 7th largest city, but let's not act like SA is the 59th largest metro or something. San Antonio is the 25th largest metro up from 32nd or so 10 years ago. It'll be in the low 20s sooner than later.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,426,019 times
Let’s make it simple. No $ = No MLB.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Mayor Cisneros was not in the least bit "dumb" for having the Alamodome built for football only usage. At the time he was trying to lure an NFL team to San Antonio and building a football only facility was the best way to go about doing that. The place failed to attract an NFL team since then but has been a smash success in every other way. From college football to housing the Spurs to trade shows to Final Fours etc.

Hindsight's 20/20 and yes, if it could be done over again a dome that could house a MLB team would have been great. But I fail to see where building the Alamodome was a dumb idea.
Well it was not a smart move, back in the late 80's many people said it would be easier getting an MLB team then an NFL team. So why did we not configure the dome for baseball? Again its the city leaders not looking to the future.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,938,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
So why did we not configure the dome for baseball?
Just my opinion, but it might have tied Tropicana Field (in St. Petersburg, FL) for last in atmosphere rankings (at least in today's MLB), IF any team had a real desire to move to SA. Non-retractable indoor stadiums are frowned upon, especially in baseball.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Just my opinion, but it might have tied Tropicana Field (in St. Petersburg, FL) for last in atmosphere rankings (at least in today's MLB), IF any team had a real desire to move to SA. Non-retractable indoor stadiums are frowned upon, especially in baseball.
Very true, but hey we would have had a team. But oh well.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:16 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
average IQ of a baseball fan is higher than football and basketball combined.

That's why we never get a MLB team here in SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio