Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times

Advertisements

Great points pr57001. Walkable communities connected to each other by the river is so SA. Would love to get some of that feeling away from the river too but at least it is a start.

BN thank you for your insight and as always for a well written post. It was the antidote to the pessimism of the article in the OP.

Although it is frustrating to realize that the dream of returning vibrancy to Downtown itself is going to be relegated to the fringes. I keep hoping something will change. That H&M is not coming is really making me down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Great points pr57001. Walkable communities connected to each other by the river is so SA. Would love to get some of that feeling away from the river too but at least it is a start.

BN thank you for your insight and as always for a well written post. It was the antidote to the pessimism of the article in the OP.

Although it is frustrating to realize that the dream of returning vibrancy to Downtown itself is going to be relegated to the fringes. I keep hoping something will change. That H&M is not coming is really making me down.
*tips hat*

Many of these articles are being written by folks who don't live anywhere near the 'urban core' and are just looking at old statistics on paper to gain insight. It's almost funny how wrong the EN can be and on such a consistent basis. Who edits this poor paper?

I do hate seeing D&B fill that beautiful space. Just another circus attraction for the tourists I suppose.

BN

Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Possible housing by the St. Anthony.

Quote:
Here’s one by Lucio on the Lynd Company. It’s the first public indication that building residential is an option for a parking lot it owns near the St. Anthony Hotel, which it also owns:
Lot near St. Anthony a candidate for housing | The Downtown Blog | a mySA.com blog

Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM

501 posts, read 949,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
A high-rise is not the harbinger of success. Never was. Never will be. It's a lovely thought for this city to get a few, even residential ones, but it's likely not happening as long as we have the current city council sitting where they are. They shoot down A LOT of progressive design for this city already.

The article was hanging on by a proverbial thread in truth when it came to making the designation as to where most of this development was happening. It's not in Downtown proper. It's Southtown, SoFlo, Pearl. Those are not core Downtown areas... All on the fringe hoods. Businesses that open on Commerce shouldn't expect 'locals' to keep them afloat. It's folks who have the money and foresight to open along the Broadway corridor, on South Alamo/South Flores and around the new Tobin Center that will reap the rewards now and in the future.

Walkability is key right now and Mayor Castro is helping that out a lot. Biking is a hot commodity in my area of town and it's wonderful to see folks get out from behind the wheel and use pedal power. While we've got a long way to go, I honestly see progress. Things like the new Hemisphere park will change the face of the area for good... And there's more, much more, on the horizon.

BN
The council has no voting power to deny or approve designs or downtown developments. What are you talking about? Give two, hell, one example of what you're talking about.

Did you mean the HDRC?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
The council has no voting power to deny or approve designs or downtown developments. What are you talking about? Give two, hell, one example of what you're talking about.

Did you mean the HDRC?
Nowhere did I say VOTE. Read between the lines junior.

City Council has their hands in many pies and can influence all the right (or wrong) folks to get what they want done. It was bell-clear that as a whole, they did not like the initial design plan for the Grand Hyatt... And what we ended up with was a very large, very pedestrian looking building.

If you want to argue semantics, go right ahead. It will be a very lonely fight, as this is the first and last reply to you I'll be giving this thread.

BN

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM

501 posts, read 949,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Nowhere did I say VOTE. Read between the lines junior.

City Council has their hands in many pies and can influence all the right (or wrong) folks to get what they want done. It was bell-clear that as a whole, they did not like the initial design plan for the Grand Hyatt... And what we ended up with was a very large, very pedestrian looking building.

If you want to argue semantics, go right ahead. It will be a very lonely fight, as this is the first and last reply to you I'll be giving this thread.

BN
See, i always thoyght you knew what you were talking. But now i see you say things in a condescending way and with your nose raised and have gotten away with it so far. Your one example is the grand Hyatt. A building that was voted on 8 years ago when not a single one of the current council members was in office. Only the mayor, a council member at the time, was serving. but besides that. you're grossly incirrect in tour statement.

The council merely voted on construction and design team. That's all they did.

The cd stack looking building was never a serious candidate for a design and any design changes after submission was done at request by the HDRC. Those are the facts.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Cherry Street Modern San Antonio Homes

Looks like they should be built within the year.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:45 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
111 Jones Ave

best looking development yet...

Renderings show new apartments along Museum Reach - The Downtown Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio