Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times

Advertisements

It has been many years since i was in retail, so my experience may be woefully out of date, but I worked at JCPenneys on the south side of town back in the 80's (told you it was many years ago). The Easter trade was what I remembered most and yes the shoppers were pretty self-absorbed in their own little world and expected everyone to jump at their whisper......but it was not as loud and obnoxious as the recent descriptions indicate it is today.

The hispanic clerks had the worst of it as the nationals expected them to converse in spanish as if it were their native tongue even if most of them grew up in Texas and did not speak spanish growing up. I was the white kid who had learned Castillian spanish in school rather than tex-mex, so I was called upon to intreprete often and that just make the hispanic clerks look worse in the National's eyes.

We loved their money, didn't mind their attitude in those days....laughed behind their back sometimes at how self important they thought they were, but the only downside was the long hours behind the cash register and the short breaks because of how busy we were. The commissions were very nice and appreciated. We would gladly do it all again the next year.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:11 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Where do they teach Castilian Spanish? I didn't learn Tex-Mex in school, but I was taught Latin American Spanish at NEISD.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Where do they teach Castilian Spanish? I didn't learn Tex-Mex in school, but I was taught Latin American Spanish at NEISD.
South San High School Spanish class was Castillian so that we could correctly converse in Spain or Mexico City.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 PM

275 posts, read 978,571 times
I really like people from San Antonio. Everywere you go, people smile you,

Also when you are in de cashier the one that is receiving your money, they smile and thank you for your purchase.

It's impressing how many people from different places of the USA describe you as rude people when driving or hanging out, but i consider you the opposite.

In my many visits to San Antonio i only perceiveb two rude attitudes by two black men. The first one was a guy from the hotel, that i didnt understand them, and i asked to repeat what he said and he taked it in a bad form. Non native-english speakers have problems understanding black people, and is not a racial issue, just they speak in a different from.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 10,564 times
It's tough to like them. To start, they are rude, loud and inconsiderate. They cut to the front of the line, leave dressing rooms in shambles, snap at waitstaff, and can't wait their turn when they have a question and then demand that you speak their language. Why must they assume that all Hispanics speak Spanish and then get all bent out of shape when you don't? I don't have to speak Spanish...I'm not the one who needs assistance. I don't speak Spanish well, but the few times I have been to Mexico, I do my best and make an effort to get my point across. And I feel strongly that they should do the same.

We have created this behavior by catering to them. During a recent shoppping trip to Macy's, I was enlightened to the fact that they receive an additional discount just because. And what's with the refund on their sales tax? No wonder why they think they are royalty...its because we continue to roll out the red carpet.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 PM

153 posts, read 283,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post

In my many visits to San Antonio i only perceiveb two rude attitudes by two black men.
Shocker that you would point this out!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
This thread has seemed to outlived its purpose now.

With some of the responses I see here, I wouldn't be surprised if they consider Americans rude as well. I am certainly not defending their behavior but it doesn't look like some of us are setting any standards either.

Like I said I just stay out of their way and let it go whenever I run into the rude ones now. It used to really bother me. Eventually they will have to adapt from being rich in Mexico to middle class in America.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus812 View Post
It's tough to like them. To start, they are rude, loud and inconsiderate. They cut to the front of the line, leave dressing rooms in shambles, snap at waitstaff, and can't wait their turn when they have a question and then demand that you speak their language. Why must they assume that all Hispanics speak Spanish and then get all bent out of shape when you don't? I don't have to speak Spanish...I'm not the one who needs assistance. I don't speak Spanish well, but the few times I have been to Mexico, I do my best and make an effort to get my point across. And I feel strongly that they should do the same.

We have created this behavior by catering to them. During a recent shoppping trip to Macy's, I was enlightened to the fact that they receive an additional discount just because. And what's with the refund on their sales tax? No wonder why they think they are royalty...its because we continue to roll out the red carpet.
The carpet is rolled out for any demographic with purchasing power. This is the corporate line that goes down the chain, enforced by management, and mandated toward employees.

The willingness to bend the rules for one group (visitors to conventions for example) but not another (locals) is standard fare.

I don't see how a chief feature of our society is being hoisted onto nationals as if it is somehow their fault that the greed of some Americans compels them to kowtow to anyone with a fistful of dollars.

On another note the nationals I remember from the '90s looked like Americans, and as if they were Alamo Heights-rich, not just middle class. Their cars were testament to this, Beamers and Mercedes.

You would not even know they were Mexican until they opened up and spoke. Of course they were from the interior and would be considered ricos both here and there.

With cars like theirs they did drive well. This new batch are simply acting ghetto with things like talking extra-loud, cutting in line, demanding hook-ups!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 AM

62 posts, read 110,753 times
Matttx, "adapt" from being wealthy Mexicans to middle-class Americans? Why are you assuming we are all middle-class? I hate that word "class" anyway. How about middle-income? Although, don't assume we are all that. Many people live below their means by choice...just like some do the opposite.
I don't see why your income or where you come from dictates good, old-fashioned social manners, which is my main beef with the Mexicans. Maybe I am just naive, being from the mid-west.
Here are my three biggest beefs and things I was taught are rude:
1. Stay out of the personal space of the shopper in front of you at the check-out.
2. Do not congregate in a circle in the middle of a busy isle (they seem to travel in big clans, which is fine).
3. When I have to cross in front of you in an isle while you are looking at something, I will say, "Excuse me". It would be nice just ONCE to hear, "Of course, sure, or no problem".
If we could just all use common courtesy, it would be wonderful.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM

604 posts, read 1,872,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
What kind of comment is that?

You can't lump all Shoppers "from San Antonio" as Mexicans.
yes this I know is politically incorrect, but I was trying to make a point in regards to the original post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio