Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 02:23 PM

147 posts, read 310,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty13 View Post
Nada. I was Grinched

Why does it say my server is out of "Temple TX" I have TW here in SA, to narrow it down further, I live in the GNW area??? Do I need to complain to TW as to why my speeds are so low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty13 View Post
Why does it say my server is out of "Temple TX" I have TW here in SA, to narrow it down further, I live in the GNW area??? Do I need to complain to TW as to why my speeds are so low?
That is just the server you chose when you did your speed test.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM

948 posts, read 1,842,509 times
I was getting about 6-7 Mbps and now getting 14-15mbps

Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
For those who it helped, you're welcome

BN

Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
Looking at everyone's download speeds makes me think I have a serious problem. I'm getting just over 2.5 Mbps now, and before I rebooted I was getting just under 7. I was starting to wonder if this applied to basic internet, and I went back and looked at the page and it says basic internet? Hmm, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that my services is with Earthlink, although Time Warner provides everything; I even pay my bill to Time Warner.
Time Warner has different speeds. You'd have to ask everyone what speed they're paying for to determine if yours was slow. Mine is the Turbo speed, there are two (I think) faster than that.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:05 PM

554 posts, read 1,068,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Time Warner has different speeds. You'd have to ask everyone what speed they're paying for to determine if yours was slow. Mine is the Turbo speed, there are two (I think) faster than that.
Yeah, I did some research and found out that TW has a low end package that is only up to 3 Mbps (I think it was 3 anyway). So it got me thinking that is what I have. I pay about $46 per month. I tried logging in to my accoint on the TW web page to see if it told me my level of service, but it seems I know longer have an account directly with TW even though TW takes the money out of my bank account every month, and still spams me with e-mails. So anyway, I login to my earthlink account, but it doesn`t tell me what level of service I have. So I initiate a chat with thier tech support who tells me I should be able to get up to 10 Mbps downloads. I tell themI get less than 3 at best (I get just over 1 right now). He gives me a list of things to try (restart the modem, connect the computer straight to the modem), and says if that doesn't work to call TW.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:04 PM

232 posts, read 380,041 times
Quote:
Yeah, I did some research and found out that TW has a low end package that is only up to 3 Mbps (I think it was 3 anyway). So it got me thinking that is what I have. I pay about $46 per month. I tried logging in to my accoint on the TW web page to see if it told me my level of service, but it seems I know longer have an account directly with TW even though TW takes the money out of my bank account every month, and still spams me with e-mails. So anyway, I login to my earthlink account, but it doesn`t tell me what level of service I have. So I initiate a chat with thier tech support who tells me I should be able to get up to 10 Mbps downloads. I tell themI get less than 3 at best (I get just over 1 right now). He gives me a list of things to try (restart the modem, connect the computer straight to the modem), and says if that doesn't work to call TW.

A lot of people dont realize that their internet speed is only as good as their tcp/ip recieve window. If it is set at, say, 1 meg and your are recieving a 100 meg speed, your comp will only process at the 1 meg speed.
These can be adjusted in your registry but if you are uncomfortable doing that, you can download a program to assist in the operation. If the MOD's dont object, they can delete the link if not aproved, you can go to CNET.com and search for "TCP Optimizer" or go direct to speedguide.net and download "SC TCP Optimizer" for your operating system.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 PM

554 posts, read 1,068,114 times
Hmm, so I figured it was time to call TW. To prepare, and so they couldn't claim that something else was causing the slow speeds, I first connected the modem to a dedicated power outlet; nothing else plugged in there. I connected the ethernet cable from the modem directly to my laptop. I ran a speedtest (speedtest.net) and was now getting less than 1 Mbps. I tried it a few times, each time getting less than 1. I finally get a tech from TW on the phone, and she had me re-boot the computer, which I had done before connecting it to the modem, but did it again anyway. She said she was testing the modem. She then has me run a test again. Now I am just under 4. She tells me to unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the modem, and she was going to do some more tests. She then tells me to disable my Windows firewall, plug the ethernet cable back in, and run a test again. I am now just below 7, which is where I started a few days ago before I tried to get the free speed upgrade. She tells me I should by at 10 - 15. She then tells me to go to the TW speedtest site. I get 10.5 there. She says OK, the security is set too high on your computer. You probably have an antivirus with a firewall too and having two firewalls running is slowing down your connection. I didn't believe her as I only have 1 firewall, plus I don't think 2 firewalls would slow it down like that. Plus I think the TW speedtest site is probably artificially high to make the connection look faster than it is. But at least I was back at 7 which was good enough until I find an alternative provider. She says problem solved, is there anything else I can help you with. I say no. Hang up the phone, do another speedtest, and am below 3 again (with the firewall off). I think she just did something to temporarily increase my speed to get me off the phone. I am now at 1.76 on speedtest.net and 4.08 on the TW speedtest site. I guess it's time to see what AT&T offers.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,710 times
Hmm, I didn't see a change, but then again I haven't received an email notifying me of a speed boost either. I have Time Warner Cable Turbo which according to their web site is supposed to be a 20Mbps/2Mbps upload/download respectively. I've been getting anywhere from 19-26Mbps for over a year. I of course did the modem reset procedure and also went through RedNeckRick's suggested TCP optimize procedure.

For all of those who saw a speed boost, did you get an email?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Hmm, so I figured it was time to call TW. To prepare, and so they couldn't claim that something else was causing the slow speeds, I first connected the modem to a dedicated power outlet; nothing else plugged in there. I connected the ethernet cable from the modem directly to my laptop. I ran a speedtest (speedtest.net) and was now getting less than 1 Mbps. I tried it a few times, each time getting less than 1. I finally get a tech from TW on the phone, and she had me re-boot the computer, which I had done before connecting it to the modem, but did it again anyway. She said she was testing the modem. She then has me run a test again. Now I am just under 4. She tells me to unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the modem, and she was going to do some more tests. She then tells me to disable my Windows firewall, plug the ethernet cable back in, and run a test again. I am now just below 7, which is where I started a few days ago before I tried to get the free speed upgrade. She tells me I should by at 10 - 15. She then tells me to go to the TW speedtest site. I get 10.5 there. She says OK, the security is set too high on your computer. You probably have an antivirus with a firewall too and having two firewalls running is slowing down your connection. I didn't believe her as I only have 1 firewall, plus I don't think 2 firewalls would slow it down like that. Plus I think the TW speedtest site is probably artificially high to make the connection look faster than it is. But at least I was back at 7 which was good enough until I find an alternative provider. She says problem solved, is there anything else I can help you with. I say no. Hang up the phone, do another speedtest, and am below 3 again (with the firewall off). I think she just did something to temporarily increase my speed to get me off the phone. I am now at 1.76 on speedtest.net and 4.08 on the TW speedtest site. I guess it's time to see what AT&T offers.
Is it your modem or theirs? If it's theirs, tell them you think the modem has a problem because you're consistently getting slow speeds and you want them to replace the modem. They've done it for me a couple of times.

I tried the TW speed test, it gave me slower speeds than I get on other tests so I don't think they've got it set artificially high to trick us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio