Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,996,643 times

Advertisements

We had a discussion on the Ruempel and the Grenwelge/Braun Farm Complex--about a half mile inside of 1604 on Braun and almost across from Nichols Elementary--here. The Grenwelge story is an interesting one, I included it in that thread, and Theodore and Katherine Grenwelge are buried in the Mt Zion Lutheran cemetery on Leslie Road right across 1604 from the Ruempel Homestead.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 07:02 AM

OH, and if you are interested in German settlers in this area, check out the Sauer-Beckmann Farmstead (scroll down) adjacent the LBJ Ranch outside of Johnson City. Very cool!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,014,271 times
A good german restaurant is located in Kirby on FM 78. Best food that I have tasted that is German in Town. You outta go try it out!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
A good german restaurant is located in Kirby on FM 78. Best food that I have tasted that is German in Town. You outta go try it out!
That would be the Bavarian Haus, mentioned earlier...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-19-2007, 08:26 AM

Yeap that is the name of it and their website can be found at www.thebavarianhaus.com

Old 12-19-2007, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 14,674 times
hooray for Schilos!

and if you happen to journey out to Fredricksburg there is an excellent german restaurant on the main street that brews their own beer

Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 AM

I have been to Schilos and to be honest.. it wasnt all that good.. but everyone has a different taste. I havent been to the German restaurant in Fredericksburg either. Guess I may need to venture out there and check it out!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 8,423 times
SA has big MEXICAN influence...German, not so much. New Braunfels, Fredericksburg etc are authentic as are many others in the Hill Country.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeInSA View Post
SA has big MEXICAN influence...German, not so much. New Braunfels, Fredericksburg etc are authentic as are many others in the Hill Country.
Have you never been in the NW side of town, the Helotes area? Who do you think settled that section? Go to Zion Lutheran Church in Helotes (Braun and 1604) and look at the names on the headstones in the cemetery. You'll see many familiar names (Braun, Wurzbach, etc) of the settlers of this part of San Antonio. Very heavy German influence up here, which extends all the way to downtown.

Cheers! M2

Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 PM

Well, we decided to try Freisenhaus in New Braunfels another try. My mother, who is originally from Germany, is in town for the holidays and I figured I wanted to try the sauerbraten. Honestly, I had hoped to make it over the Bavarian Haus; but they close at 5:00pm on Sundays and since we were going up to Santa’s Ranch north of New Braunfels to see the Christmas lights, we decided to give the Friesenhaus another try.

So, after two dining experiences there I think I have a pretty good feel for the place; but unfortunately my earlier review hasn’t changed much. I found the sauerbraten to be much like the schnitzel, good but not great. It was pretty much on par with the weiner schnitzel I had last time. I thought it was better when I tasted my wife’s dinner last time, but when I had an entire entrée by myself I realized it wasn’t as excellent as I had thought. Again, I felt it was good, but not great. The boiled potatoes were better than the cold potato salad I got with my previous schnitzel, but again I think hot German potato salad or roasted/fried potatoes would have been more authentic. The pickled red cabbage was pretty good, and a much better choice than the mixed vegetables I got last time. And our waitress tonight was nice enough, but as timid as a scared rabbit. She almost seemed scared to come up to our table, which didn’t make sense as we were three adults and two kids.

To sum up, I don’t think we’ll be dropping in on the Friesenhaus again anytime soon. It is a good German restaurant, but for the money I don’t think it is worth it. Our evening meal cost $78 plus tax for three adult entrees, two children meals (my son loved the chicken strips) and one desert, plus sodas. No wine or beer involved, which makes the total a bit high. I hope to get over the Bavarian Haus and hope they have a better selection. I don’t mind the price if the food is really good, I’d pay double if I could get a weiner schnitzel on par with the one I got in Garmisch this past summer; but the Friesenhaus doesn’t quite hit the mark, and there are other Germany restaurants that are about the same or even better.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio