Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 PM

271 posts, read 988,418 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm missing something, but with a 2.7 GPA, aren't the OP's choices limited? I'm not trying to be facetious, but I'm very curious as to which Tier I school he/she would be admitted to. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
A word about specific programs. I did Masters in Music at UNT ( then North TX State Univ.) and its music program was much bigger and more varied than UT or any other school in TX. There were 6 full-time professors just in Musicology and 3 full-time profs in organ-harpsichord. I had thought about Tech but glad I went to UNT because I great teachers and wonderful musical experiences. Not to mention, the availability of instruments in the DFW area.
I also agree with a poster that it is important for kids to go away to college. Our daughter wanted to go to a small liberal arts college in PA. She was far away but she truly had a great undergrad experience. She made many longtime friends up there and got a fellowship to Villanova in Philadelphia and finished a MA program there. Now, to find a "good paying" job. LOL

Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 PM

340 posts, read 586,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
Our daughter went to UTSA for her first year despite my wife's and my objections for the fact that in our opinion it's still not much more than a commuter/feeder school. While I'm sure some progress has been made in recent years in terms of it's individual colleges and programs, we stick to this opinion. Reading this thread reinforces my opinion.

She realized she was missing out on things her former classmates were experiencing at tier 1 schools in terms of "college life", quality of education, and fellow student commitment. She experienced many of the pitfalls expressed by some in this thread.

We're very proud to say she graduated from Auburn University in 2005. We're sad to say she liked the area so much, she decided to stay after she married a fellow student. We enjoy the area as well, but sure miss her being close!
So your overt bias is enforced by impressions of the school in the early, early 2000s?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If you accept over 50%, then you do accept most people.
Hmm, then Rutgers accepts most people. University of Wisconsin accepts most people. Virginia Tech accepts most people.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
Hmm, then Rutgers accepts most people. University of Wisconsin accepts most people. Virginia Tech accepts most people.
Yes, they all accept most of the people who apply.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, they all accept most of the people who apply.
But you wouldn't look down on them for that or use it against them? Right?

So why then is it ok to do that with UTSA?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
My younger sister attends UTSA, and she once told me that her classmates are dumb. She had to do a group project and was frustrated about the poorly written contributions from her team members.
I've heard similar comments from someone who finished a Master's program there a couple of years ago. The mandatory group work was the hardest part, because of having to pick up the slack from the unmotivated/weak-contributing members of the group. Sounded to me like the group work was the only thing that was enabling some people to pass their graduate classes.

Last edited by Bo; 08-01-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
But you wouldn't look down on them for that or use it against them? Right?

So why then is it ok to do that with UTSA?
To be honest, 75% is significantly higher than the average acceptance rate of nationally ranked schools. You also have to take into account that some schools have a large number of high achieving students applying while others don't. U.S. News doesn't only look at acceptance rates, but it also looks at the average test scores and GPAs of accepted students. However, I'm not one to look down upon a school for its lack of selectivity. That's an issue you'd have to take up with someone else.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:55 PM

500 posts, read 969,642 times
Quote:
So your overt bias is enforced by impressions of the school in the early, early 2000s?
No, my OPINION is derived from what I am reading on this very thread. We're hearing from students and professors with first hand or professional experience. Not that you're bothering to acknowledge them.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
No, my OPINION is derived from what I am reading on this very thread. We're hearing from students and professors with first hand or professional experience. Not that you're bothering to acknowledge them.
You're not hearing from any utsa professors nor are you hearing current utsa students. 2010 isn't 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio