Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 14,833 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking for new homes and it is driving us crazy!! We have narrowed it down to three home builders/parts of town:

Jeffrey Harrison: out by Government Canyon park. BEAUTIFUL two story with a huge master downstairs and a fireplace in it. The rest of the house is incredibly spacious. Absolutely love it! We know very little about Jeffrey Harrison homes though.

David Weekley home off of Potranco: gorgeous highly energy efficient home, but it is a little pricey for what you get and the master bedroom is much smaller. We'd definitely be getting fewer upgrades.

Endeavor Wall Homes Potranco Ranch: gorgeous homes! A little pricey but it is on a 1/2 acre lot. I know nothing about this home builder.

So Jeffrey Harrison= a huge house for a reasonable price

David Weekley= super energy efficient and from what I've seen VERY high quality, but less house and upgrades for the money

Wall Homes: pricey, would have to get a smaller house, but lots of nice things come standard and it is a big lot size

Anyone who could share their experiences with local home builders?? It would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowzee View Post
My husband and I have been looking for new homes and it is driving us crazy!! We have narrowed it down to three home builders/parts of town:

Jeffrey Harrison: out by Government Canyon park. BEAUTIFUL two story with a huge master downstairs and a fireplace in it. The rest of the house is incredibly spacious. Absolutely love it! We know very little about Jeffrey Harrison homes though.

David Weekley home off of Potranco: gorgeous highly energy efficient home, but it is a little pricey for what you get and the master bedroom is much smaller. We'd definitely be getting fewer upgrades.

Endeavor Wall Homes Potranco Ranch: gorgeous homes! A little pricey but it is on a 1/2 acre lot. I know nothing about this home builder.

So Jeffrey Harrison= a huge house for a reasonable price

David Weekley= super energy efficient and from what I've seen VERY high quality, but less house and upgrades for the money

Wall Homes: pricey, would have to get a smaller house, but lots of nice things come standard and it is a big lot size

Anyone who could share their experiences with local home builders?? It would be greatly appreciated!

Knowing none, personally, I do not think you can get quality, upgrades, energy efficiency and extra square footage for the same price per square foot. Excluding the lot, you get what you pay for.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:34 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,617 times
I don't advise going after a lot of square footage for an exceptional price. This usually means that the finishes will be of a lesser quality, and you will have large expansive spaces that can be difficult to fit furniture in. KB homes was really bad about this in the late 90's and early 2000's.

David Weekly has a pretty good reputation, and I would feel confident sending my clients to their developments. BEWARE of Potranco traffic though. Your life would soon become miserable during rush hour.

I have not had any experience with Endeavor Wall Homes, so I cannot comment.

I am working a deal over in Wolf Creek, which is an Armadillo development. They price matched home upgrades, and have been pretty good about working with my clients specific needs. I would definitely recommend checking them out.

The best advice I can give you is to take a real estate agent with you to the different developments. That way you have partial representation, and are not stuck taking the word of a new home salesmen who is desperate to make a sale on his own inventory. I know this sounds like a business solicitation, which is forbidden by the forum rules, but you really need to find a Realtor to help you, plus, its free to you.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
The only one I'm closely familiar with will be Endeavor Wall Homes. The company was started by Steve Wall and declared bankruptcy back in 2009 like so many other builders. They got very land heavy and the land positions killed the cash flow, hence the bankruptcy. He came out of it with investor help from some of the folks at D R Horton and bought a lot of his former assets back at the auction. It left a nasty taste in a lot of vendors wallets though but he did nothing against the law. They formerly were building old school which makes me smile as I'm old school. They have always had very interesting designs and had mostly old timers on the payroll in the field. So field expertise was high. I haven't been around them since the new company was formed so this is mostly history but they do have an A rating with the BBB with zero complaints. David Weekly is not a favorite of mine as you never know what you're going to get. At one time he was a premier builder. Then the bean counters decided they didn't need any local field expertise so they let the subs be in charge of building the houses- what a wreck that was. They now have supers again. Weekly is still on my "iffy" list. I'm not familiar with Harrison. You might want to look at Whitestone Homes although they may be a tad more than your budget.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM

Speaking of which, what type of budget do you want to stay around?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,833 times
Thanks for the responses!
We probably don't want to go over 340,000-350,000 MAX absolute final price.
What we are leaning towards was the Jeffrey Harrison home out off of Culebra in the Remuda Ranch subdivision. Beutiful home, huge master bedroom. We love everything about it! Lot sizes are super small and we don't know much about the builder though. We really LOVE that house though, so I think we are ok with sacrificing lot size.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM

That's a very good budget, especially around the West side of town. Through my experience as a Realtor, I find that a potential buyers always take notice of a small lot. Although you may be ok with it now, consider how easy it will be to sell in the future. Depending on the development, upgrading a lot may be only a few thousand dollars, that will save you a ton of headaches in the future.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,047 times
Default Endeavor Wall Homes

We just built a house with Endeavor Wall Homes. Needless to say it has not been an easy process. They have put in SEVERAL wrong items in our house. If you choose them as your builder watch them closely. We have had wrong fireplace, wrong cabinets, wrong floor tile, the list goes on. Quality of Cabinets is terrible and ours have been installed twice and still our not correct. We closed on our house over 3 weeks ago and still have problems with cabinets. The first 3 weeks in our new home and we couldn't put anything in our cabinets because they had to redo them. They charge 40 percent up grade charge for ANY thing above what they do normally, which would be OK, I am all for them making a profit, IF they installed it incorrectly and give you what you paid for. I was unhappy with the way things were going and thier upper management Kelly told me he would refund my money for the house and I didn't have to take it. Very unprofessional. If I didn't have two small children watching the house being built and emotions invested, other house sold, I would of told them to stick it and give me my $$ back. It's not a good feeling to have when you are spending your hard earned money on a home. The lack of caring, I even talked with the owner Mr. Wall who didn't have the curdiousy to call me back and follow up after his inital call. Time will tell if the house holds up.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:24 AM

221 posts, read 562,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowzee View Post
Thanks for the responses!
We probably don't want to go over 340,000-350,000 MAX absolute final price.
What we are leaning towards was the Jeffrey Harrison home out off of Culebra in the Remuda Ranch subdivision. Beutiful home, huge master bedroom. We love everything about it! Lot sizes are super small and we don't know much about the builder though. We really LOVE that house though, so I think we are ok with sacrificing lot size.
I am very familiar with Remuda Ranch I would NEVER EVER spend above 250k and be in the same neighborhood as DR Horton(yes I understand that it's a totally different section) TRUST ME

Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,374 times
We used none above. It is true you get what you pay for! Or not around to check on it being built.
Well, we lived out of state while the home we purchased from a custom builder. Brad Moore, if I cannot use company name mods please remove Thanks ahead of time.
The workmanship is the most awful and there was breach of contract, I was not aware I could have 72 hr kick out. But he knew I was Stuck housewhole goods were already in storage here. Day they delivered they were still working. What I bought in Va an what Tx builders charge, everything this is standard back east. I do have to say I am in my Sr yrs now, and my house is still nickle and diming me to great depression. I wonder why codes are so slacked here. I do hope the folks get their dream home and so many have anwsered their ? I had 10 days to find a home thanks to the gov. And it was during to much land an no cash flow coming in and I had sucker on my forehead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio