Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 AM

56 posts, read 106,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davi78239 View Post
Anyone have an idea what the other restaurants planned will be?? I know it's in and out, a hotel, and another restaurant.
Living in windcrest I'm very interested in this as well...

Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 AM

64 posts, read 85,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
There are TONS more californians in Austin. I just had an In n Out today. As I said before, their burgers are VERY consistent from store to store. I cannot say the same for Whataburger. That proposed building site already has a good number of beggars that ask for $$. Everytime that I gas up at the Valero on Walzem & 35, someone always will ask me for some $$.
Neighborhood keeps going downhill.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 AM

153 posts, read 198,281 times
I personally can't wait.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Tried the In -N-Out in Round Rock today. Honestly do not get the hype. I have had that before and it was called Steak and Shake. Nothing special, really. I had a Double Double 'Animal Style', and while it was a tasty burger, I did not see halos on the grill staff as the hype led me to believe. Whataburger is just as good. Anyone claiming anything else is just homesick for California.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:21 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Tried the In -N-Out in Round Rock today. Nothing special, really.Whataburger is just as good.
You can't tell the difference? The french fries at In and out were still a potato when you walked in the store. The meat is fresh and never frozen.

If you like the frozen, reheated and processed food at Whataburger, more power to you.

I'll take fresh any day.

Food Quality - In-N-Out Burger

Old 03-15-2014, 04:32 PM

It isn't anywhere near the level of hype would indicate. Sure, I like the freshness aspect of it, but frankly, the fries were the weakest part of the menu. That isn't just me. In - N-Out is known for subpar fries. Taste wise, nothing special. As I said, it was good. Just nothing approaching the cult status it has attained.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM

172 posts, read 238,644 times
You have to understand that for a lot of us California transplants, we grew up on In-N-Out, just as native San Antonian's grew up on Whataburger. Personally I don't get the hype for Whataburger at all, to me it's just like Burger King with more grease (don't get me wrong sometimes you want grease). In-N-Out is an institution where we came from, and honestly I really like the burgers and fries (gotta do animal style fries, love them). I'm not saying In-N-Out is the best fast food burger joint ever, but to us who grew up on it that's our perception of it, just as other's say Whataburger. Personally I think In-N-Out will do just fine out here and will always be crowded, but I also know a lot of people just don't get it.

For those who say they have subpar fries, once again, it's because they are fresh, so therefore they don't have that crisp crunch to them and the overprocessed preservatives as most other fries. They are fresh and anyone who has ever tried to make fresh fries at home, they never come out like fries at Whataburger, McDonalds or Burger King because they haven't been frozen and are truly natural fries. But like I said above, if you grew up on a certain style of food, that's what you love and if someone just doesn't like it, that's okay too, but to say that it sucks or anything along those lines, well that's because you didn't grow up on it. I don't get the hype of Tex-Mex or Whataburger, but that's because I didn't grow up on it.

Lastly, if In-N-Out sucked it wouldn't be able to expand into Texas from California, it would have died on the West Coast. Quality chain places will always be able to expand to new areas if they truly are quality.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
The secret to getting good fries at in n out is to order them well done

Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
You have to understand that for a lot of us California transplants, we grew up on In-N-Out, just as native San Antonian's grew up on Whataburger. Personally I don't get the hype for Whataburger at all, to me it's just like Burger King with more grease (don't get me wrong sometimes you want grease). In-N-Out is an institution where we came from, and honestly I really like the burgers and fries (gotta do animal style fries, love them). I'm not saying In-N-Out is the best fast food burger joint ever, but to us who grew up on it that's our perception of it, just as other's say Whataburger. Personally I think In-N-Out will do just fine out here and will always be crowded, but I also know a lot of people just don't get it.

For those who say they have subpar fries, once again, it's because they are fresh, so therefore they don't have that crisp crunch to them and the overprocessed preservatives as most other fries. They are fresh and anyone who has ever tried to make fresh fries at home, they never come out like fries at Whataburger, McDonalds or Burger King because they haven't been frozen and are truly natural fries. But like I said above, if you grew up on a certain style of food, that's what you love and if someone just doesn't like it, that's okay too, but to say that it sucks or anything along those lines, well that's because you didn't grow up on it. I don't get the hype of Tex-Mex or Whataburger, but that's because I didn't grow up on it.

Lastly, if In-N-Out sucked it wouldn't be able to expand into Texas from California, it would have died on the West Coast. Quality chain places will always be able to expand to new areas if they truly are quality.
This is the cult like devotion I am talking about. Post an honest review of your experience, and if you aren't finishing with a rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus, people get all butt hurt. I never once said it sucked
In fact, if you reread my posts, you'll see that I said it was good, just not worthy of the inflated hype. What is with the whole processed food fascination too? Do you think the "sauce" is made fresh in store each day? H ow about that cheese? Processed. Again, it is a good burger, and I fully grasp being excited that something you grew up with will be available locally.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post

So fast food you grew up with is better than fast food you didn't grow up with?!?

Sorry, I've tried In-N-Out and since I didn't grow up in San Antonio, I guess I have a more unbiased opinion of the stuff but I still don't see what the hoopla is all about!

I travel all the time, which gives me a chance to try these "exotic" fast food joints people rave about. Most times, it's nostalgia on their part. I grew up eating Krystal burgers and love them, but admit they aren't the best choice out there (but I still grab some when I pass thru the Atlanta airport!).

I also went to a Taco John's late last year after not having been to one since the 1980s, and it sucked. I guess I had a less particular palate when I was in my 20s!

So perhaps my worldwide travels give me a greater opportunity to sample fast food across the globe (I recently ate at a McDonald's in Brazil, and it sucked too!). Fond memories are one thing, but they don't make the food any better and despite your claims concerning In-N-Out, it's simply not that good (but hey, if it makes ya feel any better, I can't take Whataburger either!).

Lastly, a chain expanding is no indication of quality. Acting like opening a restaurant in San Antonio is some big accomplishment is hilarious, this place probably has more fast food eateries per person that any other place I've been!

If anything, a new fast food chain is probably the last thing this city needs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio