Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 07:32 PM

424 posts, read 609,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
I am amazed at how seriously folks take a hamburger in this city

Whether they do well or not, they have mystique going for them and that's going to keep them busy for awhile as they open in San Antonio. People will want to see what the fuss is about. That's gold to any new business, but also an ultimate achilles heel if they don't respect local tastes. Many chains have opened to acclaim in this city, only to close early or close several locations (Krystal, Krispy Kreme, etc).

We can only wait and see
KK closed two of their locations here because their company overbuilt nationwide. Hundreds of KK closed back in the mid 00s because KK was losing too much money. It went from a company that barely expanded to.one that was opening hundreds a year. They were ill-prepared.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Why does everyone keep saying this city?

Austin and Dallas both couldn't stop salivating over the prospect of In & Out coming and lined up for hours. When a new Chick-fil-a opens anywhere in the country people line up for days.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
Bottom line, this forum can do without the immature, mean and insulting garbage.
But when it comes from you, it's ok?

Feel free to give me grief about how I post here when you've been around for more than a month. Until then, you might want to tone down the self-righteousness.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
But when it comes from you, it's ok?

Feel free to give me grief about how I post here when you've been around for more than a month. Until then, you might want to tone down the self-righteousness.
My response to your comment was neither immature nor mean. It was only insulting in the sense that I insulted your comment by calling it garbage, but then again, if it quacks like a duck...

P.s.

I have to have been a poster here for a select amount of time to post what everyone is probably thinking? And you're calling me self-righteous.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
And you're calling me self-righteous.
Definitely.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Jesus guy, what's your problem? Do you like to be insulting for the sake of being insulting? Back when Krispy Kreme opened here, they were such a national fad that those lines were happening at every krispy kreme. San Antonians forming lines for the opening wasn't unique then and when it happens for I&O, it won't be unique then either. Just look at the videos online of when.they opened in.Dallas you'd have thought they were giving a way bags filled with millions of dollars.
First of all, nothing I said in my post was inaccurate. Having been to Krystals several times in other parts of the country, I was pretty pumped when I saw they were opening in San Antonio. I worked about a mile from where the Krystals opened in Ingram Park area. I am not exaggerating when I say there were about 10 people (not a single thin one in the group) camped out in front of the place for about 4 days before it opened and more than 50 in line 24 hours before it opened. Krystals actually brought in a mobile trailer (think food truck) to help relieve the rush. You still couldn't get into that parking lot more than 2 weeks after it opened. The Krystals grand opening in San Antonio destroyed company records for revenue during a grand opening and those records stand to this day.

I agree with you that it isn't uncommon for something new in any city to get a few diehards waiting in line for it to open but that novelty tends to wear off after a day or two. In San Antonio, it literally takes weeks in most cases for the novelty to wear off.

I say in most cases because, case study number 2, when the Krispy Kreme opened at I-10 and DeZavala, it was on the news for weeks how ridiculous the lines were. On a bet, I went to get a dozen A MONTH after it opened. I waited in the drive thru line for 2.5 hours and the person at the drive thru said it had been like that since they opened. I don't know where you get the Krispy Kreme was a national fad when it opened here. A local fad, sure, but Krispy Kreme has been open since 1937 and they've had hundreds of locations across the country for decades. Yet again, grand opening revenue records in San Antonio.

San Antonio takes openings like this to extremes. So, I watched a couple of videos of the Dallas opening at your suggestion. I can guarantee you that San Antonio is going to dwarf that effort. Not only that, I will guarantee you that San Antonians will be lined up like that AT LEAST a month after the In n Out opens.

I am sorry you don't like it and I am sorry you don't think it reflects favorably on San Antonio. I agree it doesn't look good but mark my words, it is going to happen whether you like it or not.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
When in n out opened in frisco, the first in Dallas it had lines and traffic cops for about 3 months. When the other locations came online it finally normalized. On the other hand when Krispy Kreme opened on Austin highway, the place was a ghost town. Cie la vie.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
When in n out opened in frisco, the first in Dallas it had lines and traffic cops for about 3 months. When the other locations came online it finally normalized. On the other hand when Krispy Kreme opened on Austin highway, the place was a ghost town. Cie la vie.
Which of those extremes do you think In n Out is going to be in San Antonio?

It's also important to note, the Krispy Kreme at I-10 and DeZavala and the 1604 near 281 store both opened in 2002. The Austin Hwy location opened in 2004.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
First of all, nothing I said in my post was inaccurate. Having been to Krystals several times in other parts of the country, I was pretty pumped when I saw they were opening in San Antonio. I worked about a mile from where the Krystals opened in Ingram Park area. I am not exaggerating when I say there were about 10 people (not a single thin one in the group) camped out in front of the place for about 4 days before it opened and more than 50 in line 24 hours before it opened. Krystals actually brought in a mobile trailer (think food truck) to help relieve the rush. You still couldn't get into that parking lot more than 2 weeks after it opened. The Krystals grand opening in San Antonio destroyed company records for revenue during a grand opening and those records stand to this day.
I already addressed this, as have others. This isn't unique to SA and I can bet a few of those people were transplants who couldn't wait to taste a piece of home. The average San Antonian I would assume had no clue what Kystral's was. And what does their weight have to do with anything other than a cheap shot and your need to be mean and insulting?

Quote:
I agree with you that it isn't uncommon for something new in any city to get a few diehards waiting in line for it to open but that novelty tends to wear off after a day or two. In San Antonio, it literally takes weeks in most cases for the novelty to wear off.
As it does in most other cities. Sometime's months.

Quote:
I say in most cases because, case study number 2, when the Krispy Kreme opened at I-10 and DeZavala, it was on the news for weeks how ridiculous the lines were. On a bet, I went to get a dozen A MONTH after it opened. I waited in the drive thru line for 2.5 hours and the person at the drive thru said it had been like that since they opened. I don't know where you get the Krispy Kreme was a national fad when it opened here. A local fad, sure, but Krispy Kreme has been open since 1937 and they've had hundreds of locations across the country for decades. Yet again, grand opening revenue records in San Antonio.
Again, not unusual for KK to pull that type of crowd (people would cross country road trip to new openings) at the height of KK-mania back then or even now when the hysteria is considerably less.

Here's Minneapolis.

Here's Richmond, VA.

Here's Sacramento.

I can keep going.

Seriously, you make me yawn.

Quote:
San Antonio takes openings like this to extremes. So, I watched a couple of videos of the Dallas opening at your suggestion. I can guarantee you that San Antonio is going to dwarf that effort. Not only that, I will guarantee you that San Antonians will be lined up like that AT LEAST a month after the In n Out opens.
No more than any other city. But us adults already know this.

Quote:
I am sorry you don't like it and I am sorry you don't think it reflects favorably on San Antonio. I agree it doesn't look good but mark my words, it is going to happen whether you like it or not.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
It's also important to note, the Krispy Kreme at I-10 and DeZavala and the 1604 near 281 store both opened in 2002. The Austin Hwy location opened in 2004.
Why is it important to note? According to you, it doesn't matter what year it is, San Antonians are going to camp out for weeks and cause lines for months.

Oh wait, now the year matters, when your "pulled from thin air" cynical garbage is proven incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio