Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:12 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times

Advertisements

I actually like the backside of it more than the front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 PM

318 posts, read 570,584 times
Agreed that this building is a beast. The man who built it held onto condo plans from Florida from about 40 years prior that he had fallen in love with and wanted to build it as his last hurrah going into retirement. Huge mistake at what could have been a great location. Still, the condos at the back of the Rim are far worse. I hate that we get such horrible architecture in San Antonio on these types of properties....

Old 08-23-2014, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 819 times
Too bad this building isn't selling, but after looking at its website ([URL="http://www.fouroakstower.com)"]www.fouroakstower.com)[/URL] I can see why. It's poorly designed and doesn't have any of the amenities that similar high-rises offer (places like The Broadway, The Vidorra, etc.). The photos showing one of the units make it look just ugly, cheap and uncomfortable. There are a lot of Baby Boomers in this area who are downsizing and have money to spend. They don't want to live downtown in a raunchy neighborhood like the Vidorra. They don't want to be near too many office buildings. They don't want to live over a hotel like at The Altezza. They DO want to be near the medical center and Stone Oak. They DO want to feel like they live in a neighborhood, and have an area where they can walk their dogs, do a little shopping, go to a restaurant or movie theater, and have easy access to the highway without feeling like they live in the middle of the road. They'd like a nice view. They would like to live in a place that has guest suites, a business center, an exercise facility and pool, a communal area for entertaining groups (like a rooftop patio), covered parking, storage, and great concierge and maintenance service. Some smart developer/builder needs to either buy this place and renovate it, or start over and build a new one in the IH-10/Loop 1604 area. Baby Boomers with money are starting to look for condos that meet their needs. We don't want big houses or cheap apartments, and we're not ready to retire. So why isn't someone picking up on this market???

Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 AM

163 posts, read 199,170 times
Interesting thread as my parents have just moved into a kind of "ugly" (IMO) building near downtown Denver...the difference is the opposite of that link to Four Oaks. The insides of these condos where my parents bought are gorgeous and they are FAR from cheap. My parents are the boomers truford is talking about. They wanted to downsize and the 2500 sq. ft. place they purchased and completely remodeled was NOT cheap despite the rather plain look of the building. I love their new place to death. It's awesome and, even though I am young, it's similar to the lifestyle I like to live. Only problem is that I am a huge car guy so a personal garage is a must and that's why I "settle" for luxury apartment living where I can get 1400 sq. ft. 3 bedrooms and an attached garage as well as being able to back it out of said garage, walk around the side of the building, hook up my hose, and clean it myself (God forbid anyone here in SA touch my paint).

Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 AM

501 posts, read 776,764 times
Thanks for posting truford! Enjoyed looking at the photos on the link, interesting that they only finished out FOUR units out of 46 before the project got abandoned originally (2006?). Location is great (USAA, Med center, groceries, shopping, etc) and I'd always wondered why it never flew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio