Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:01 AM

69 posts, read 99,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
Ah, welcome to a city that will readily vote to spend hundreds of millions on an NFL team, but when you try to put it into local transportation, they shoot it down.

Keep SA lame
One thing this city council is good about it is shooting down beneficial lucrative ideas faster than you can say "Draw!". Leave it up to our elected officials to run the city they want to,straight into the ground.

If they wanted an NFL team we would have had one obviously there are under the table deals that If it doesn't benefit them it doesn't benefit the city. Good Ole Texas Two Step, One step forward and two step back. Repeat: Every time a proposal comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM

Default Throwing money at Pro Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by trill_hippy210 View Post
We only have 1 major league sports franchise here. Since when have we been throwing money at pro sports teams?!
Obviously the one major sports team we have is not complaining and neither is Jerry Jones his adopted city that will help him keep Cowboy faithfulls in San Antonio.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Default NFL franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
If Mark Davis knows what's best for his franchise he'll move the Raiders to Texas. With no sales tax the players, staff and ownership would immediately pocket millions. He would also almost certainly enjoy the support and loyalty of a city so desperate for an NFL team that it's palpable. The fact that there are fans of other NFL teams that reside here wouldn't change that at all.

What gets me about this and other forums is that people often refer to the owners of the Texans and Cowboys as some sort of untouchable, all-powerful and influential God like characters with the unlimited power to affect happenings in San Antonio. The last time I checked they are just two of the 32 individual owners that would have to vote on a Raider relocation. So I wouldn't be too worried if these two particular owners were not totally in love with the idea of a third team in Texas. In other words the decision to relocate the Raiders to San Antonio would require 24 of the 32 owners votes to win approval and not necessarily those of Jones and McNair.

I support and have supported the idea of an NFL team calling San Antonio and South Texas home 100%. And now it finally looks like it may happen which would be a relief and a certain vindication for those of us who have carried this torch for so long.
It is not only Jones and Mc Nair but maybe even Tom Benson (Saints) who might not favor this move. There are other teams that have local blackouted games because they don't have enough fan support. For the NFL to say San Antonio is too small of a market is just a plain stupid. One of the biggest states in America and close to one of the weathiest. South Central Texas is one of the fastest developing areas in business and some of the biggest companies Amazon, Dell, USAA, Valero. I'm not a Raiders fan or (Cowboys/Texans) but I have always supported the idea of San Antonio being more than a one horse town.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:50 AM

The Raiders are probably in no position to bargain with Oakland /Los Angeles getting a new stadium built. The NFL wants to bring in a new team into Los Angeles not named Raiders. The Raiders got a chance to move into Los Angeles after the Rams left for St. Louis thinking they would double their fan base and profit margin. The Raiders (Al Davis) paid each NFL owner one million dollars to approve this relocation which became disasterous. Not only did the Raiders lose fan support in Los Angeles they lost fan support from Oakland faithfulls.

Mark Davis looking at this in retrospect would know he has very little chance or influence convincing the city that this team will benefit both sides. Any bluffing or threat to leave the city will leave the Raiders with no choice but stay put and keep quite or move to San Antonio and not look back. The Raiders want a smaller venue and rejuvenated fan support, they want to be able to make a deal that would make Mark Davis look like Jerry Jones.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Billionaire Red McCombs told the San Antonio Express-News on Wednesday that he and his family would be interested in buying a piece of the Oakland Raiders "if that's what it would take to get them" to San Antonio.
[+] EnlargeCharley Gallay/Getty ImagesBillionaire Red McCombs thinks San Antonio has a shot to persuade Mark Davis to relocate his team from Oakland, and he's even willing to buy a piece of the team to make it happen.

McCombs, however, said he's not sure whether Raiders owner Mark Davis would seek out local investors if he was to relocate the team.
"But I told him if he wanted some, they wouldn't be hard to get," he told the newspaper.

Red McCombs: I'd buy into Oakland Raiders to get them to move to San Antonio - ESPN
I'll bet he would be ready to buy in. What a deal for him. He has the capitol to get in on a deal where the biggest cash outlay and the most risky is paid for by the tax payers. It's easy to roll the dice with someone elses money. If he wants in let him build the new stadium that they will have to have. Oh, and let him build the next one they will 'have to have' in ten years or so. Just keep your hand out of my wallet. If I want to invest in the Raiders I'll buy a ticket and go to the game and invest an afternoon. What does it cost for two people to go to an NFL game from the time you leave to the time you get home? A couple of hundred bucks if you watch your spending? Probably more than that really.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
I don't mind paying a few bucks for a stadium and team. I'd like the chance to root for a local NFL team.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:58 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
You can pay my share too then, I'm not interested in paying any more than I already do to make some rich guy richer.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:00 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
You can pay my share too then, I'm not interested in paying any more than I already do to make some rich guy richer.
No, I'll pay mine and you'll pay yours...if that's what is determined by a vote etc.. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 PM

24 posts, read 27,649 times
I'd love for the Raiders to move to San Antonio, I'd actually make the drive from Houston to attend home games.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,301 times
When you talk about SA football, the Raiders would have all the support of San Antonio to Austin, Corpus and all of the lower valley. Don't forget there's this big country just to the south of Texas (Mexico) which would bring in fans from all over! Then the Cowboys and Texans would be instant rivals! I hope this happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio