Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 10:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by els565 View Post
As I read these replies, I am just getting mad! What is up with the "blank stares" from people when waved to??? I am so sick of.
This is easy--most of the time people can't see these waves at a distance. It looks like someone is just trying to slap a fly out of the sky. I've waved at my friendly neighbor many times and he just doesn't see me. Same for me--sometimes we just don't notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 14,957 times
Default No big deal!

I don’t live in San Antonio but visited several times. Plus, I’ve lived in enough big cities to voice an opinion. Right off the bat, this post has blown totally out of proportion. This is NOT a race issue but a big city thing. In the initial post, the gentleman talked about Cleveland and San Antonio, both big cities. If you want neighbors who talk, gossip and help each other then move to little city Kansas. Big city people, like me, are prone to remain to themselves and take care of their family. Why, because honestly we don’t know who the heck you are, you could be “Chester molester.” Like any big city I am sure San Antonio News is full of crime that probably shocks the average person. Well that’s the big city. To further complicate the matter San Antonio is a huge military town which means constant moving. Maybe your neighbor has seen 10 sets of families living in that house. Finally, remember society as a whole has changed a lot. I’m a door guy, when I hold the door open I should hear thank you. In the past, thank you was common place but today people really don’t pay attention and walk through without noticing. I could get all worked up and complain but in reality people are swamped multi tasking something. Society has changed a lot. Who knows but honestly this is NOT a race issue, period. There are way too many factors to pin it on one thing.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
I'll agree that it isn't a racial issue by a long shot, but I disagree with the assumption that it is a "big city" thing as, despite its size, I don't consider San Antonio to be a "big city." And that is not due to its lack of a mega-skyline, I just find people much more friendlier down here (I've lived across the country courtesy of the USAF).

But I will also have to agree that folks are losing their "cordialness" to each other. I am also a "door guy" and I am trying to teach my 10-yr-old son to be the same. It is tough trying to explain that people are just plain rude when he holds the door open for them and they walk by without any word of thanks. Luckily, many times people understand the situation and they make an effort to let him know they are grateful, and I appreciate that!

I think you just have to accept that some folks aren't as open and friendly as others. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you are expecting otherwise it may seem rude. I am sure it is not deliberate, and even if it is there really isn't nothing you can do about it other than try to make friends with some of your other neighbors.

Cheers! M2

Old 12-28-2007, 11:51 AM

217 posts, read 1,758,457 times
I don't think it is totally a race thing but I do think that race plays a big part. As I have said I have lived in many places and my kids and I have been exposed to many different races but the way we have been treated here as well as other families I know have complained of the same thing it does have to do with race to a certain extent. Please note that I am not saying everyone is acting this way based on race but some have.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:07 AM

546 posts, read 3,105,195 times
I'm in the polar opposite position, we're like 98% white in my neighborhood, and if a hispanic walks around the neigborhood, out come several neighbors with 911 on speed-dial!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:02 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,871 times
While some hispanics do have a tendency of being less social, or shy, it doesn't exclude other races from being the same. So it can be a racial characteristic, while other times it has more to do with ones character regardless of nationality.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 AM

8 posts, read 38,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
I'm in the polar opposite position, we're like 98% white in my neighborhood, and if a hispanic walks around the neigborhood, out come several neighbors with 911 on speed-dial!
That's pretty harsh!!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
I think race relations have been stirred up more recently due to the illegal alien/border issues. In some neigborhoods anglo's are not really welcomed with open arms and vice versa. I think that fear is behind all feelings of discrimination. Fear of what we don't understand.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
You know, I kinda am confused by all this.

We are retired military, and adopted foreign born children while living overseas.

We have Chinese and Filipino children, along with Mexican, Black and even a "WASP" son-in-law's and grandchildren.

When I see rude/shy/happy/friendly/mean/wonderful people, I never find myself saying "it is because they are ______ that they are this way".....

I DO think that people, in general, are far more busy, far more likely to find all the "fill your day with stuff inside the house" then even when I was growing up in San Antonio...but I think with the advent of video games/internet/DVD's/Cable TV that is not just SA but everywhere.

When I grew up here, we only had window A/C units...and windows were open most of the time...you knew EVERYBODY AND THEIR BUSINESS with windows open...fights, lovemaking, yelling at the kiddos....it was all there for the world to see without central air conditioning. We also PLAYED outside in the yard and KNEW everyone in the neighborhood...now actual neighbors walk to the cluster mailbox and barely say hi in some areas. Our parents sat outside in the evenings watching the kiddos play...and moms actually sat outside in the morning, again watching the little ones play, watering the grass...all with their coffee in hand in little groups of 2 or 3. When was the last time you saw that???

I actually find the exact opposite with our friends...certain cultures treat you as "family" once you have become close, and our neighborhood is close and everyone on our street knows each other. We have whites, blacks, mexican, military, non-military and even a gay couple in our little cul-de-sac.

May I suggest if you are finding the "noone knows each other or are friendly"...organize a "block" party soon. You would be amazed how many folk are wishing to know more about you as well! JMHO!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 AM

12 posts, read 53,950 times
Aghhh! This thread is driving me crazy. First of all, do you live in a neighborhood with sidewalks? They are the best. It gets people out and about. They walk their dogs, they chat, they meet their neighbors. 99% of new subdivisions have NO SIDEWALKS. This is a barrier to the community and neighborhood getting together. The older neighborhoods I would assume are a lot more friendly than the new bland subdivisions way the heck out. I know mine has an extremely active neighborhood association that not only provides socialization with neighbors, but also does a lot of good work in the community.

It seems to me that the original poster has a small attitude problem. Your husband chose to join the military and you chose to marry him. Please stop complaining. You don't see the rest of us coming here to complain about our choices or employment! I also feel that the poster may be depressed and not very receptive to ANY advances from anyone for help, including those in this thread! Perhaps she should get a dog, go to the dog parks, to Brackenridge Park, etc. and meet other friendly people. You would not believe what a conversation starter a dog is!

I have lived in 4 other cities (all in the South) and not one was even close to as friendly as San Antonio. A lot of your perception is your attitude. Get out, get some exercise, and run into neighbors that YOU could perhaps help! Then they will most likely return the favor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio