Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:00 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times

Advertisements

Most people of a different socio-economic class will get dirty looks or the like when going vastly outside of their element. I am sure they would not be totally welcomed outside of their side of town either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM

314 posts, read 2,539,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The farther someone comes from also usually carries with it some fascination, at least for me.
I have never felt unwelcomed here. We moved from the Seattle area almost 2 years ago. I have met a few others from Seattle, but not many. Many of my co-workers find Seattle fascinating. I hardly ever bring it up, but they often ask questions and tease me about Seattle (in a friendly way). As many other posters have said, this is a military town, so transplants are expected and accepted.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2sa View Post
Hello, I have been reading several of the threads about SA for the last 5 months. (Most of which are very positive) I visited in September and liked it very much and found the people very friendly.

My question is one that I would appreciate the honest truth. I currently live in a city where transplants from other states are not welcomed. So my question is just that; are transplants from other states welcomed and accepted by the locals? Will I be snobbed by adults when they find out I have relocated? Will my daughter be tormented and not accepted at school because we are transplants?

I am a very positive person and love meeting people and getting involved and here people are so childish I feel like I'm in high school again.

Now just in case you are wondering I did visit my current city a couple of times and the people here were friendly while we were visiting; but I guess that's because we may have been viewed as tourists and not transplants. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Locals and Transplants - thank you in advance for your posts and all of the information you have provided thus far it has been very helpful.

I think we are a very friendly place...and with so many military bases and colleges in SA, there are probably more transplants of some type than "natives".
This is my home, and I love it here...but would LOVE to move back to Hawaii...it is just not something I am willing to do given the standard of living changes that would accompany the move back to Honolulu. Our home here would be 2+ million in Hawaii. We opt to live here, travel extensively because we LOVE other places to see and visit and enjoy...but we CHOOSE to live here.

Just like anyone, we have feelings too. If you invite me to your home as your guest and I tell you how much I HATE your house, food and everything you try to bestow on me as a host...you will probably be THRILLED to see me go!

It is fine to love where you are from, or miss it beyond belief...but to put on the "I AM SUPERIOR hat because I am from _____ and all you here are uneducated/uncultured morons" confirms how insecure a person really is.

When you get here, you will see a bumper sticker on lots of cars that read "I was not born in Texas but got here as fast as I could"....that says it all!

Welcome and can't wait for you to get here!!!

Last edited by Paka; 01-05-2008 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 07:05 PM

454 posts, read 505,574 times
Honestly, the only time I hear anything negative about transplants is generally referring to Californians who make a big deal about buying up property here - and it's not people who come to live here, it's those who snatch up a bunch of houses and try to rent or flip that get the cold shoulder.

being a former Californian myself, I've been happy here.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 PM

380 posts, read 1,280,047 times
FYI,
The ongoing joke for natives to foreigners is....

Tex: So where abouts you from?
Foreigner: Idaho (or any other state)
Tex: Idaho? Where abouts in Texas is that?

I think we are accepting of other folks so long as they don't try to force us to change.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:15 PM

486 posts, read 1,114,156 times
I guess I could be considered a transplant we came here in Aug 2006 to Randolph AFB from Kansas. Ill add to the list of feeling welcomed here, I can honestly say that people have always been good about helping me when Im lost Which doesnt happen as often anymore but still.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:58 PM

87 posts, read 294,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody84 View Post
We are military central so transplants are always welcome! Altough I've lived here my whole life I still get "dirty looks" when visiting my mother in law on the inner part of the westside. I don't think a lot of people over there like white blondes?? Or maybe it's because they see me a "white woman" married to a hispanic man? Who knows? You shouldn't have any problems on the North/NorthWest side.
Hey I get the same stares when I visit the inner westside. I'm white/mexican but I guess my green eyes scare people or maybe because my husband is a very dark hispanic and I'm as pale as they come. True story, I went to middle school in the westside and my nickname was "Goldilocks" even though my hair is brown, go figure

Old 01-07-2008, 04:11 PM

213 posts, read 568,254 times
Been here about 50 days, definately a transplant, and it has been good when it comes to people accepting me. I just met a few people from this board about 10 days ago and they were simply fantastic to me...

Old 01-09-2008, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,680 times
Thank you all again for the warm welcomes and insight. Can't wait to get to SA.....as soon as my house sells I'm on my way. Sell, Sell, Sell! Please!!! To all the Two Buck Chuck Fans: I'm bringing some wine with me to celebrate. I read that Thread as well.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
to play devil's advocate...the people who don't like SA will have already moved and are in other city forums on this website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio