Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:07 PM

258 posts, read 323,972 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to the redevelopment of downtown SA. Noticed new apartments in South Town, Broadway, and the Pearl Brewery. Now if we could get more renovations of existing buildings and turn them into housing. I personally have looked at moving downtown and will do so in a year. Having traveled to San Francisco and New York I really love the feel of a busy downtown.

Plans for Rivercenter mall should make it a bit exciting. Also hoping HEB or any other chain would build a neighborhood grocery store. It's really foolish being the headquaters for HEB that they have not done so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,822,777 times
Just because the local media is only now picking up on things in Down/Southtown doesn't mean the area hasn't been on a upward swing for years now.

Cevallos Lofts, Blue Star, The Pearl, Broadway, SoFlo and more are building new, re-purposing old, attracting a slew of new residents and creating a real community far from the suburbs. It shouldn't take another year to make the move to the area. There are more than enough places to live already that have originality, history and are unique city dwellings. You've just got to make the effort to contact the right folks who know the areas.

BN

Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,822,777 times
PS: Rivercenter plans are falling through, unfortunately. The supposed H&M for the old Joske's building is a dead deal. They pulled out. It appears the whole revitalization of RC has stalled.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 PM

I've already looked into the areas and my Step-father owns apartments/residential in the King William area. Just excited about the people moving back into downtown SA. Hoping for a more vibrant urban feel downtown

Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Sad to hear about Rivercenter. I would think that something would eventually happen be it residential or retail. It's a prime spot and I don't see the owners sitting on this vacant opportunity long. Another investor down the road will make it happen. As far as H&M I've heard through a friend that they would be building a store at the RIM next door to Off 5th Ave (Saks).

Old 07-10-2012, 04:05 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
PS: Rivercenter plans are falling through, unfortunately. The supposed H&M for the old Joske's building is a dead deal. They pulled out. It appears the whole revitalization of RC has stalled.
Bummer. I expected as much. I hope something else comes of it. Great space.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 AM

262 posts, read 433,753 times
I, too, hope that downtown continues to pick up. As for the Joske building, I can't imagine that it would be worth it for a quality retail company to rent it. I know that it's right in the middle of the tourist area, but if you actually stand on a street corner and look at the kinds of people the tourists are, you'll get what I mean when I say that it would have to be a nothing of higher grade than a Walmart. As for the lack of grocery options, I have no idea, but if I were to give it an uneducated guess, it would be that there's pressure against it from those who represent the hotels and cheesy riverwalk restaurants. The hotels and restaurants do NOT want tourists and conference attendees to have access to more affordable food and drink options! Think about it...

Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM

I recall reading an article in the Express News that Rivercenter was going to begin their renovations in the fall...I am trying to locate that article. This would be exciting and would hopefully get more locals downtown or be of better use for residents moving in the area. If I locate this article I will be sure to post

Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 PM

16 posts, read 28,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
I recall reading an article in the Express News that Rivercenter was going to begin their renovations in the fall...I am trying to locate that article. This would be exciting and would hopefully get more locals downtown or be of better use for residents moving in the area. If I locate this article I will be sure to post
Jeff, this article was from March of this year. Not sure if it's the one you are referring to:

Former Joske's building could see return to retail - San Antonio Express-News

...I hope the lack of an H&M deal doesn't stall the whole project.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker Stand View Post
Jeff, this article was from March of this year. Not sure if it's the one you are referring to:

Former Joske's building could see return to retail - San Antonio Express-News

...I hope the lack of an H&M deal doesn't stall the whole project.
Thanks! That was the article that I was searching for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio