Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 AM

13 posts, read 57,801 times

Advertisements

I know Boeing has several offices in San Antonio, and I should be interviewing within the next couple months for thier office in Port San Antonio. I'm aiming for a chance to work within their logistics/supply chain positions? The whole thing is really exciting, especialy since I am finishing my Bachelor's degree in a couple of months. But I had a couple questions.

How are veterans treated, I was in the Army for nine years and took a couples month off to finish my degree?
What do coworkers expect form contractors that work over there?
Do people get along fairly well?
What are the work hours like, is it typically in the day or are there shift positions?
How is the traffic to/from Port San Antonio in the morning?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Port San Antonio...formerly known as KellyUSA, and Kelly AFB before that.

I don't know about Boeing specifically (you may find some answers here); but it you live on the west or northwest side of San Antonio you will have a relatively easy commute, dependent of course on when you are making it. On the west side you can take Highway 90 all the way in, and from the NW you can run down Highway 151. They get busy once the rush hour kicks in but for the most part traffic moves. Just to give you an idea, I live 22 miles away on the NW side from Lackland AFB (which is adjacent to Kelly) and I get from my door to the gate in about 20-25 minutes. Of course I come in at 6:00am...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks I appreaciate some info on the traffic, I actually live about 5 miles from Randolph Air Force Base in Univiersal City.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,227 times
that is a hike. like 45mins I35 is bad in the mornings

Old 01-18-2008, 02:18 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I leave Kelly @ around 6:30 AM every day and it's a steady flow of traffic coming on. I like the place though, because it's really quiet. Much more quiet than you would think a place full of aircraft would be.
As far as traffic, that's all dependent on when you come in. Our 6:00 shift has relatively no problem getting in, but I would not want to imagine that commute for a 7:00 shift. Plus 35 is notorious for awful traffic. A coworker of mine took an hour and 35 minutes to get in last night because they closed down 35 for some emergency work and he lives near Randolph.
As far as Boeing, the son of a guy I work with has worked for them for about 7 years and his dad says he really likes it. The money is pretty good and it's not like the Air Force is going to stop flying anytime soon...

Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 PM

30 posts, read 123,384 times
Jules07 told me about this thread when it first came up, sorry it took me so long to respond.
While I can't add anything about the commute from the Randolph area as I leave by Sea World, I can fill you in about Boeing. I've worked for them for going on 19 years now, and they have always treated me well. Of course I've had bosses I've disliked more than others, however the Company itself has always been consistently good to us. Better than average pay, great benefits, and aircraft! As to your questions:

How are veterans treated, I was in the Army for nine years and took a couples month off to finish my degree? I'm a former Marine and have never received any thing but fair treatment. I think a majority of our employees are veterans or at least come from families with a military background.
What do coworkers expect form contractors that work over there? We have a large number of contractors, they are just one of the team and are treated just like the directs.
Do people get along fairly well? I would have to say yes. Compared to working in Ca. and Wa., I have seen many less issue here in SA
What are the work hours like, is it typically in the day or are there shift positions? A lot of the groups work a 9-80 schedule (80 hours over nine days, or "cool I get every other Friday off") 9 hour days Monday through Thursday, and an eight hour Friday every two weeks. We do have shift's (1st and 2nd) out on the floor. But the offices are day shift only.
How is the traffic to/from Port San Antonio in the morning? Sorry can't help from your local, but working a nine hour day means at least one of your trips won't be during the rush...

Good luck with your interview, look me up if you get on

Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM

Thanks for all the great info, I appreciate it. Traffic info and times help me make arrangements for taking care of my kids.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Another question???
What is the typical dress attire, I am going to assume that the office positions probably have a business casual dress policy? I am looking at a logisitics position, so I am assuming that I won't have to pull out my steeled toe construction boots.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergoose79 View Post
Another question???
What is the typical dress attire, I am going to assume that the office positions probably have a business casual dress policy? I am looking at a logisitics position, so I am assuming that I won't have to pull out my steeled toe construction boots.
otherhalf said, "yep, business casual in the office, i.e. "dockers" and collared shirts" (polo's are ok).

Old 01-31-2008, 03:11 PM

Good news, I finally got an an interview Monday at the Embassy Suites for a logistics position with Boeing (:= !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio