Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:17 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candylipsgirl View Post
Really I would pay that fee!
To whom does Stoneoak pays it?
If you own a house in Stone Oak you pay a small HOA that keeps up the area. I can't recall exactly how much, I should since I pay the bills, but I don't think its much over $100 and it may be based on property value. Also, above that most neighborhoods within SO have another HOA which can run from a few hundred a year to thousands depending on amenities in your specific neighborhood. Generally the HOA has a management company that manages payments and checks for violations. Perhaps knowing all that, the people who move out here are those that are already the type that aren't rule breakers and respect the area. I would not be surprised if there were also requirements for businesses to maintain their property to high standards. We had problems for awhile when a lot of bars first opened out here and there was a lot of property damage. It seems to be under control now.

I have to say that besides the excellent schools in SO, one big draw for us was the quality of the surrounding areas. It's really insulated out here which was especially nice when they had the schools capped. The overflow schools were also great schools so while it was inconvenient parents didn't have to worry about other issues. Not to say SO isn't seeing some changes I don't like. Way too many apartments ruining the landscape and business going in everywhere but I don't think it's going to change too much in the near future.

Of course I had an edge in choosing where to live. I'm actually from San Antonio so I know first-hand my opinion on areas and didn't have to rely on someone else. When we moved to NC we ended up hating our school and realized too late that despite higher prices our neighborhood was inferior to Stone Oak. Fortunately we were able to move back.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 05-13-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 10:12 AM

12 posts, read 14,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
I would seriously question any realtor that said, "its very nice part of town, more potential than Stone Oak or I 10 Corridor."

Potential for what? The demographics are completely different. The quality of the housing stock is completely different. The shopping and restaurant selections reflect those differences. Only 1 of the subject areas is in relatively close proximity to areas that have historically housed the poor and lower middle classes. Your realtor should be admonished for even comparing those areas. If you don't expect graffiti and overgrown grass near Alamo Ranch, you don't know this city. I have not checked, but would be willing to bet the crime rate in 1 of those areas far exceeds the other 2.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Alamo Ranch or the people that live there, but it is what it is. If I had 300k and wanted to live in the burbs, I-10 North of 1604 and Stone Oak would be at or near the top of the list. Traffic would probably have me opt for 10.
Well, we believed him because the prices in Westover Hills were very similar to SO for a gated new subdivision. And it was near Sea World and Hyatt, etc.

On a cursory overview , it was nice.

Its when I started exploring outside a 2 mile radius I noticed the Jungle medians and unkempt city sidewalks and Graffiti on poles and signs.

Were moving to the 78257 zip in 2016, but I thought I point it out for future buyers who are in 3-5k budget.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
Quote:
Well, we believed him because the prices in Westover Hills were very similar to SO for a gated new subdivision. And it was near Sea World and Hyatt, etc.

On a cursory overview , it was nice.

Its when I started exploring outside a 2 mile radius I noticed the Jungle medians and unkempt city sidewalks and Graffiti on poles and signs.

Were moving to the 78257 zip in 2016, but I thought I point it out for future buyers who are in 3-5k budget.

Historically, for what it is worth, being near Sea World or the Hyatt was not a great thing. Sea World was built there in the 80's because land was almost free. I didn't know AR homes were that much and can only wonder how many were sold either to new SA residents or those moving up from surrounding areas.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:27 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Perfect reason why you shoud rent and explore the city a bit before buying. I agree with most of what people have said. Traffic, the demographics, the amenities...there are much better areas in the city to be than Westover Hills/AR.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:44 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
But its kind of Ghettoish. I drive on Culebra and I see ample Graffiti and Unkept city sidewalks and medians.
Welcome to San Antonio.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Well, we believed him because the prices in Westover Hills were very similar to SO for a gated new subdivision.
A lot of average communities in SA are gated for some reason. It is a SA thing that never made sense. Personally, I would never live west of I-10 along 1604.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
A lot of average communities in SA are gated for some reason. It is a SA thing that never made sense. Personally, I would never live west of I-10 along 1604.
It is a national thing. Putting a gate, manned or not, in front of a low to moderately priced tract neighborhood makes it much more desirable to the average buyer. Add a pompous name like, "The Reserve at Lodi Dodi Hill" or "The Enclave at Privilege Palace" and watch the contracts come rolling in. It is not just here, I see it all over the US. I started noticing it about 10 years ago.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
It is a national thing. Putting a gate, manned or not, in front of a low to moderately priced tract neighborhood makes it much more desirable to the average buyer. Add a pompous name like, "The Reserve at Lodi Dodi Hill" or "The Enclave at Privilege Palace" and watch the contracts come rolling in. It is not just here, I see it all over the US. I started noticing it about 10 years ago.
No, it is not a national thing but if it helps make the local folks feel “elite” or “safer” to be living inside a gated community, then more power to them.

There are plenty of very nice neighborhoods in Austin, Dallas, and Houston with houses that are $500k+ that do not have a gate and they are doing just fine. Here, the communities with $250k+ houses have them. It is a perception thing that is over rated.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:37 PM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
I'm not sure why AR keeps getting drug into the conversation since it doesn't touch 151 and I haven't noticed the aforementioned grafitti (at the very least not with any regularity or persistence) on my drives through there. I do notice the grafitti inside 1604 on Military, Wiseman, and Culebra along the 151 corridor, around Seaworld, and even the sign advertising homes for sale in Westover Hills going west on Potranco from Culebra has been grafitti'ed since I moved to San Antonio in 2012.

For the record, I don't live in AR and do think they are overpriced for what are basically really large townhouses. I feel the same about all of the more recent builder developments.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:43 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Neither Alamo Ranch nor Westover Hills have graffiti. Culebra road inside 1604 does have graffiti and looks pretty run down in spots. I think people think Westover Hills is a larger area than it really is.

As for the medians that is purely the cities fault for not maintaining those. Alamo Ranch's medians are nice like Stone Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio