Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 05:51 PM

61 posts, read 84,914 times

Advertisements

Hello all....again.

I'm not enjoying where I'm living right now in Stone Oak (Canyon Golf/Wilderness Oak). So I've started researching different areas of SA and would like to ask your opinion.

My office building is at the corner of San Pedro and Thousand Oaks...going North. I'm very tired of the traffic going to work and coming home....no matter which way I go.

Believe it or not to go home nowadays, I go south on 281, take Bitters all the way to Blanco, turn right, and then turn right onto Wilderness Oak.

I also want to be closer to downtown and museums, etc.

I'm thinking of NW area like Medical Center. I don't think I want to be closer to I-10/1604N loop than that.

Are apts/houses fairly new in this area?

How safe is this area?

Other than La Canterra and The Rim (which I know are further north), is it easy to get to shopping in the area especially for groceries?

Would using Wurzbach to go to/from work be a good idea? Would going East in the morning and West in the evening on this road be going against traffic?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

tks very much,
bje
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 06:03 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Why don't you look form Bitters to Thousands Oaks off 281? ( 2 miles on either side of the freeway)

I live near Brook Hollow and Henderson Pass and it takes me 10-15 minutes to get to the Forum, Pearl, La Canter/Rim, Downtown, and the medical center.

I actually work in Westover Hills and you would have just as much traffic getting to work, from the medical center, as you are now via 1604, 410, or Wurzbach....

Old 12-27-2015, 06:14 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
The MedicaI l Center is a nice area. You are near several different grocery stores and shopping areas. There are HEBS at Babcock and Huebner, De Zavala and 10, Wurzbach and 10 and Bandera and 410. Shopping is close with Huebner Oaks and Fiesta Trails nearby as well as some shopping near Bandera/410 if you are closer that way.

There are a few luxury apartments in the area and some newer homes, but for the most part the housing was built between the 70s and mid 90s. Do not take Wurzbach to work, unless you move closer to the start of Wurzbach Parkway. Wurzbach is heavy on lights from the Medical Center to the start of the Parkway near NW Military (which may also be a good area, say Castle Hills?). Both ways are full of traffic, there is no going against traffic. I took Wurzbach Parkway from O Connor to my apartment that was at Evers/Wurzbach and things went moothly until I hit the end of the parkway at NW Military. It took about 15 minutes to get to NW Military and nearly 40 to get to my apartment with the lights. I spent nearly the same amount of time in that traffic as I did driving from Austin to O Connor and 35. To get to work you'd want to take 10 to 410 to 281. 281 can get very backed up during rush hour (and even not during rush hour).

It's a nice area, but I would reccomend checking the traffic for yourself before even looking in the area.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The MedicaI l Center is a nice area. You are near several different grocery stores and shopping areas. There are HEBS at Babcock and Huebner, De Zavala and 10, Wurzbach and 10 and Bandera and 410. Shopping is close with Huebner Oaks and Fiesta Trails nearby as well as some shopping near Bandera/410 if you are closer that way.

There are a few luxury apartments in the area and some newer homes, but for the most part the housing was built between the 70s and mid 90s. Do not take Wurzbach to work, unless you move closer to the start of Wurzbach Parkway. Wurzbach is heavy on lights from the Medical Center to the start of the Parkway near NW Military (which may also be a good area, say Castle Hills?). Both ways are full of traffic, there is no going against traffic. I took Wurzbach Parkway from O Connor to my apartment that was at Evers/Wurzbach and things went moothly until I hit the end of the parkway at NW Military. It took about 15 minutes to get to NW Military and nearly 40 to get to my apartment with the lights. I spent nearly the same amount of time in that traffic as I did driving from Austin to O Connor and 35. To get to work you'd want to take 10 to 410 to 281. 281 can get very backed up during rush hour (and even not during rush hour).

It's a nice area, but I would reccomend checking the traffic for yourself before even looking in the area.
The intent of Wurzbach parkway was not how you tried to use it. That is like taking Blanco from DT to 1604 instead of using 281. You will never beat a freeway with a surface over a long journey in SA. (We actually upgrade our freeways 5 years after the need and not twenty)

Old 12-27-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The intent of Wurzbach parkway was not how you tried to use it. That is like taking Blanco from DT to 1604 instead of using 281. You will never beat a freeway with a surface over a long journey in SA. (We actually upgrade our freeways 5 years after the need and not twenty)

It was more to just see, for me. For OP it sonds like they would like to take it all the way to Thousand Oaks. My example was a way to show that it probably isn't a good idea to rely on it that way. But they may clarify later on.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Why don't you look form Bitters to Thousands Oaks off 281? ( 2 miles on either side of the freeway)

I live near Brook Hollow and Henderson Pass and it takes me 10-15 minutes to get to the Forum, Pearl, La Canter/Rim, Downtown, and the medical center.

I actually work in Westover Hills and you would have just as much traffic getting to work, from the medical center, as you are now via 1604, 410, or Wurzbach....
This is a good idea. Some of the apartments in that area are very run down and should be avoided, but the area itself is safe and convenient to everything. I lived over there for a long time and liked it.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:53 PM

Tks everyone for your info and ideas.

I'm bummed to hear that Wurzbach would not be a good idea. Was it not built for easy access across town? Not sure I understand why roads that seem to be a type of "highway" have traffic lights! I don't understand why 281 which is a "highway" has traffic lights either. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I agree that Bitters etc would be easy areas but I would prefer to be in a newer area with newer apts. The complex I'm in right now is quite old and I got spoiled when I was in Denver in a brand new building. But every apt here has an attached garage which is wonderful. In Denver we had underground parking garage.. Both it and this garage are no extra charge.

I also am concerned about flooding. I'm new to SA so do not yet know which areas flood quickly and often. I want to stay away from them.

I thought of renting a house but I think then I would be responsible for yard work and that's not for me.

Are there any nice newer areas/apts near 410 north loop? Maybe west of 281? Is that a safe area?

Tks again to everyone! I need to do a better job researching this time.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:07 PM

You will not find the newness you are looking for in the medical center. You may find it near la cantera and the westover hills area. I have also heard of newer apartments on 1604 near be military that might be a fit (but traffic would be equally as crappy). Fwiw, wurzbach parkway is great, wurzbach road is your problem. I would really steer you closer to the wurzbach parkway area closer to 281. Shopping is good and you would be close to work.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:44 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Not to confuse the issue even more but their is one new apartment complex along Harry wurzbach inside 410 and along Austin highway that you might be interested in. Lots of shopping in this area and convenient access to your work and downtown.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:02 AM

where is westover hills area? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Is Austin Highway the same thing as I-35? I haven't had much luck whenever I've been on it...not sure I want to be close to it and have to use it.

Tks everyone for all the info. It's really helping, but actually giving me more to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio