Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 30,263 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to New Braunfels, and were wondering what communities, or areas would be the best. We plan on building a new home. I have looked a little at the Heights at Oak run, It seems really nice, but could someone give us their opinion on it? I have never been to New Braunfels before, or anywhere in Texas. What's it like? Would it be a good place to live? We are moving from St. George, utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2006, 07:22 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times
New Braunfels is great,and any new home subdivision is going to be good.Like I've told others here,the Hill Country,which NB is in,is probably the best part of Texas.I don't know that there is a bad place in New Braunfels outside of the older,poorer section that you obviously wouldn't be building a new home in.NB still has a strong German heritage.The top waterpark in the world,Schlitterbahn,is in NB,and one of the largest outlet malls anywhere,with about 250 stores and growing,stretching about a mile long,is 15 miles down I-35.San Antonio is great also.

How does one end up in NB from Utah without just deciding you like the place and want to move there?

Old 04-21-2006, 10:43 PM

Lifertexan- Thanks for your reply. We have been interested in moving to Texas for about a year now. We have heard a lot of positive things about the Austin/SanAntonio area. My brother-in-law went to school in SanAntonio and loved it there. Living costs in Southern Utah are outrageous, so I was quite impressed by the price of homes there in Texas. It is also quite boring here. We look forward to having more things to do. I hear the people in Texas are very friendly, so I am really looking forward to that. It is definitly not like that here. My husband just finished Pharmacy school and accepted a job offer in NB. I was excited when you said there's a huge outlet mall there. I have done some searching about the area, and I have not come across that info yet. We are taking a trip there next month and are so excited. It is good to know that wherever we decide to build our house, it will be great. Thanks!

Last edited by lilmama; 04-21-2006 at 10:47 PM..

Old 04-22-2006, 12:04 AM

lilmama

The outlets malls,(there are actually 2 of them with over 100 stores each,but they are side by side) are in San Marcos,which is towards Austin about 15 miles up from NB.Here are the websites.Just choose San Marcos under "locations" if one of them doesn't take you straight there.They are so large they are actually a tourist destination now.

URLs removed

I guess you'll have to type the addresses in manually.I tried to edit out the url bookends,but it keeps putting them back in.

Be sure and visit the Riverwalk in SA
while you are there.And yes,the people in Texas are very friendly except for the odd crank every now and then.Far more so than I have experienced in other states I've been to.

Last edited by Yac; 06-01-2006 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-31-2006, 04:29 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
How did your trip to New Braunfels go?

Old 06-10-2006, 10:54 PM

My trip to New Braunfels was great! We just loved the town and are very excited to move there. We actually found a lot to build on while we were there and have started the process of building our home. I was amazed at all the friendly people there. We spent some time in Gruene. What a cool little town! We also went to San Antonio and had dinner at a place in the Riverwalk. We did get a chance to visit the outlet malls. Wow! We Definitley could have spent more time there. Living in Texas will be an adventure. I am very excited to become a Texan!

Old 06-23-2006, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 66,904 times
We will be glad to have you lilmama, welcome to new braunfels.I love my town

Old 06-24-2006, 06:50 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
Questions,Questions,Questions...lol
Does this area get much damage or bad weather due to hurricanes? It seems to be far enough inland but figured since everyone is so helpful I would ask anyhow rather than guess.BTW,Lifertexan and 210 you two are great and my husband and I value your opinions if your fellow texans are just as great we know we will be just fine when we finally move there.We can't wait.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:44 AM

Thanks,mystree.No,no hurricanes.And very little threat from tornados,although no place east of the New Mexico state line is 100 % free from the possibility.The biggest weather threat in NB is from flooding by the rivers there.They can overflow quickly in a thunderstorm,and every few years some people drown when they hit flood stage.The area is popular for summer camps,and some groups always seem to get trapped in this.

And 210 and I are probably just like other Texans.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:09 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
Sounds like here,when it rains it rains real hard and doesn't really last long but because of the real dry soil conditions it will flood. We get quite a few of the pop up thunderstorms during the summer caused by the afternoon heating,usually in July and August. Last week we got the remnants of Alberto and our road looked like a stream,but shortly after it rains you can't tell that we got anything.
So the road flooding here is short lived.
It's good to hear there really isn't a threat of hurricanes,although even so there is time to prepare for it unlike tornadoes.Unfortunately they can happen most anywhere.
Another ?? Are there any online newspapers? I found links removed any others?
We appreciate all your help and hopefully will get to check it out first hand soon. Still trying to convince my husband to fly thats a long road trip from here

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2006 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio