Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:41 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,176 times

Advertisements

I have two TW cable boxes @ different locations.

One cable box has the features which allows for more hours to record and keep
for later viewing.
The other is the standard which has a limit on how many I can record.
The $$$ for the box with more hours to record is not that much.

The standard cable box malfunctioned.
Went to TW for replacement.
I had decided to go for the model that allowed for more recordings.
Was told that they are no longer available.

“What happens when the one I have breaks down?” I asked.

TW told me that I would get the standard cable box. And they would
adjust the price as well.

“why were they being discontinued?” I asked.

TW replied, "I don’t know, perhaps TW-Spectrum will bring them back if
enough customers ask for them.”

Btw:
There are a “gadzillion" of channels that I will never ever watch.
Why not take a poll on how many are not watched....get rid of them...&
pass on the savings to the customers?

I’m a dreamer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:50 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
I just got mail from AT&T that they are now offering gigapower for my neighborhood. I guess this means both Google and AT&T are doing the fiber installation at the same time.

I know it is too early to get input from people that used both, but I am wondering what people would go with if they have the option of going with google fiber or AT&T gigapower? Will AT&T do data caps on gigapower?

Old 09-29-2016, 11:54 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I just got mail from AT&T that they are now offering gigapower for my neighborhood. I guess this means both Google and AT&T are doing the fiber installation at the same time.

I know it is too early to get input from people that used both, but I am wondering what people would go with if they have the option of going with google fiber or AT&T gigapower? Will AT&T do data caps on gigapower?
Google Fiber contractors appear to be wrapping up in my neighborhood, and AT&T contractors were through here just ahead of Google. I'm starting to see some of my neighbors on NextDoorNeighborhood post about being notified of AT&T Gigapower availability, and one neighbor around the corner from me says he already has it installed.

Doesn't look like my block has either one as of yet, though. Nor do I have an ETA when they go live. AT&T top tier is still only 45mbps max. download at my address. I guess I would go with the provider that offers the most reliable service, assuming pricing is competitive. I don't personally see myself as having a need for gigabit speed, although a lot of people would consider AT&T's current 45mbps max. marginal by today's standards.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 AM

49 posts, read 164,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
... I can record programs received with the OTA antenna, but there is no DVR function with Sling, and you can't record programs using other means, like a DVD recorder, for example. Many of the channels do have on-demand for at least some of the shows. Sling also offers free previews of some of the premium channels (like HBO) from time to time.
If you want DVR functionality with Sling TV then give a look at Channel Master DVR+.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepanda View Post
If you want DVR functionality with Sling TV then give a look at Channel Master DVR+.
The DVR capability only works with OTA channels. From the Channel Master website:

"However, DVR functionality from Channel Master is not available for any Sling TV content."

Old 10-03-2016, 01:16 PM

49 posts, read 164,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The DVR capability only works with OTA channels. From the Channel Master website:

"However, DVR functionality from Channel Master is not available for any Sling TV content."
Hmm I've never tried recording, but I do know pausing works with some Sling TV channels. Then again that could be a feature of Sling TV handled through DVR+ and not DVR+ itself...

Old 10-03-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepanda View Post
Hmm I've never tried recording, but I do know pausing does work with some Sling TV channels. Then again that could be a feature of Sling TV handled through DVR+ and not DVR+ itself...
Some SlingTV channels do allow pausing, but that's a feature of SlingTV, not the Channel Master DVR+.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:43 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,633 times
Just called and checked with the monopoly company Spectrum (formally Time Warner), and the cheapest and only internet speed they offer is 100 Mb/s for $50 a month. At least Time Warner offered slower speeds as an option for a lower price.

Those that had slower speeds before Time Warner changed to Spectrum, are you now bumped up to 100 Mb/s or do you have the slower speed you had before?

Also, if you automatically got bumped up to Spectrums only speed offering (100 Mb/s), did your bill go up?

Old 10-26-2016, 01:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,176 times
I called last week to cancel with TW because the billing on my cable/internet had gone up.

After a few minutes, the lady lowered my bill by $40 and also added all the premium channels.
I only had HBO, now I have all of the Premium Channels to enjoy at no extra charge now or later.
Also, I now can record many more movies with plenty of storage space available.
After doing this over the years, you can tell the differences with the cable box.

I've had no problems with the internet speed.

She told me the reason she did this was because, “ I was a long-time TW customer”.
I gave her an “excellent” feedback when TW called later for my review of how they
were treating me.

At times, I feel like I’m asleep & will wake up to realize, it was just a dream.
But so far...it's good for now.
We’ll see....

Last edited by ranchodrive; 10-26-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 06:10 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,633 times
Just called and checked with the monopoly company Spectrum (formally Time Warner), and the cheapest and only internet speed they offer is 100 Mb/s for $50 a month. The bill comes to $68.65 per month. At least Time Warner offered slower speeds as an option for a lower price.

Those that had slower speeds before Time Warner changed to Spectrum, are you now bumped up to 100 Mb/s or do you have the slower speed you had before?

Also, if you automatically got bumped up to Spectrums only speed offering (100 Mb/s), did your bill go up?
What are you paying for internet only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio