Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 12:28 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I thought someone said that Carls Jr was the same as GW Jr's???? It's not??? I don't know, don't remember ever eating at a GW and tried Carls and really didn't care to go back.
Two different chains. This was found after a brief search on the net:

"The son's owner of Church's Chicken started GW Jr. his father shut them down! GW JR, had higher sales then Church's did!"

Last edited by Deep Forest; 04-07-2016 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Thanks for clarifying Deep Forest. A shame they closed it if it had better sales than Church's. That chicken USE to be good, you could not pay me to eat at one these days. Shame, it use to run circles around KFC back in the day.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying Deep Forest. A shame they closed it if it had better sales than Church's. That chicken USE to be good, you could not pay me to eat at one these days. Shame, it use to run circles around KFC back in the day.
I believe the reason Church's chicken does not taste as good nowadays as it did is because they changed the way they fry the chicken...this comes from a former CC manager.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:28 PM

Whatever they did, I am honestly surprised they are still open they got so bad. Church's use to be busy, now you NEVER see one with much business, and I have not been into one for years and years. It use to be the "go to" place for fried chicken. Now Bush's chicken is SO much better (but don't even eat that much anymore to be honest).

Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Church's and GW Jr's. Great all-around fried food. I used to love the French fries at Church's. But they were different last time I went.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:22 PM

715 posts, read 1,356,841 times
Went to Frontier Burger tonight . Amazing!! It was packed but the line moved really quick.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:58 AM

443 posts, read 954,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Two different chains. This was found after a brief search on the net:

"The son's owner of Church's Chicken started GW Jr. his father shut them down! GW JR, had higher sales then Church's did!"
That's kind of hard to believe, but then I can't think of any other real reason because the location on Broadway was always jam-packed with people. Best chili burgers ever.

One Sunday I awoke to discover the cover on my transmission had come loose where the linkage connects from the shifter (standard transmission), and leaking. All the parts stores were closed. So, I headed up to GW jrs. to pick up a meal. It was all packed neatly in a white cardboard tray. It hit me that it was about the same thickness and rigidity as a gasket, so.... placed a piece of it over the gasket surface and lightly tapped out an outline with which to begin cutting with scissors. A little bit of form-a-gasket on the surfaces and the threads of the bolts, and I was back on the road. Lasted until I sold the car.

I agree, Church's isn't the same as it used to be. I can believe they changed something because it in no way resembles what it was in the 70s. Of course, neither is Kentucky Fried Chicken. Albertson's used to have a fried chicken that was pretty much spot-on for the old "11 herbs and spices" recipe from KFC.

Anyone remember the first time Church's rolled out their fried catfish? I think it was in about '83. There were huge lines and, more often than not, they were sold out. It was fresh and juicy, as good as anything from a restaurant. Then they ceased, and when they brought it back it was horrible, frozen and dried. Fred's Fish Fry beat them.

Wendy's had an avocado burger that was huge and delicious, that was another of my go-to meals back in the day. When I was struggling to make ends meet, I'd hop down to Taco Cabana to get two .50 cent bean & cheese tacos, two .99 cent al carbon tacos (don't have those anymore), and then divide up the ingredients to make 4 beef tacos with bean and cheese for a whopping total of $3.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 PM

Sounds right to me. Show up the old man and he punished his kid......and that's really bad when Fred's Fish Fry shows anybody up.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Sounds right to me. Show up the old man and he punished his kid......and that's really bad when Fred's Fish Fry shows anybody up.
They REALLY do serve fish at Freds??? We always thought it was a front for something, because you NEVER see anyone at ANY of their locations! LOL

Old 04-08-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
They REALLY do serve fish at Freds??? We always thought it was a front for something, because you NEVER see anyone at ANY of their locations! LOL
If they have one car in the drive-thru and two in front of the building they're getting "slammed"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio