Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:25 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,422,744 times

Advertisements

how about the police drive around with their eyes open? I have absolutely no problem spotting many cars every day that obviously have intoxicated drivers in them.. it's not like you really have to look hard in this town. Hanging outside of bars at closing time is another excellent way to find stupid drunk drivers and it's not like they're hard to spot... Someone needs to do something around here because it's getting worse instead of better. The huge amount of drunk drivers is one thing I really don't like about this city/state and anyone that denies there is a problem is either blind, ignorant of the facts, or in complete denial..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,031,368 times
We could reduce alcohol related fatalities by hiring EMS that will check pulses and getting rid of a police chief that lies to the city in press releases...

Old 03-14-2008, 02:47 PM

yes, because the EMS people went out, got drunk, and slammed into another car... Wow..

Old 03-14-2008, 03:12 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,031,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
yes, because the EMS people went out, got drunk, and slammed into another car... Wow..
I already stated my views on the subject. This additional statement was just a remark regarding EMS that doesn't follow procedure, and what is becoming a corrupt police force led by a man that believes he is an autocrat. Of course the EMS is not litterally at fault.

However, EMS failed to do their job properly when they ignored procedures. McManus made things worse when he made some controversial statements. Now, in an attempt to redeem himself, he is proposing methods to reduce drinking and driving in the city. He is fake. He only wants to look like he is the defender of victims because he angered a lot of voters. McManus is not thinking of the city, he is thinking about the best way to ensure he keeps his job.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:19 PM

I completely agree with you on the chief, but the EMS thing is a sore subject for me.. It would be nice if everyone was perfect and mistakes didn't happen, but the root cause is still responsible for 100% of the blame..
It is definitely time to clean house at the SAPD, though, and that includes a lot of its uniformed employees and it should continue to the Sheriff's Department as well.. the level of incompetence and corruption reminds me more of LAla land..

Old 03-14-2008, 03:50 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,025,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I read in todays paper that the police chief want to start charging a 10 cent tax for every drink that is served. That figures. It worked so well for cigaretts and topless bars now they are looking to see what else they can tax us on. I think McManus has his eye on the mayors office. Maybe he thinks he is already mayor.
the problem with this is that the bar owners would not charge 10 cents, but would most likely "round it up" to 25 cents. liquor is already taxed enough and doesn't need to be even more taxed than it is already.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:53 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,069,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
We could reduce alcohol related fatalities by hiring EMS that will check pulses and getting rid of a police chief that lies to the city in press releases...
Obviously EMS wouldn't be out there scraping people's brain matter up, and the police would not feel a need to cover their a$$es if stupid "alcoholics" would just keep their butts at home when they decide that getting drunk is the most important thing/they are the most important people in the world. Of course, it's a disease, so they aren't really deciding to do these things but they've gone and done it, so now innocent people suffer?

You could charge a drunk (at a bar) an extra $5 a drink--more than half the time they have no clue what they just shelled out.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:57 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,025,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Obviously EMS wouldn't be out there scraping people's brain matter up, and the police would not feel a need to cover their a$$es if stupid "alcoholics" would just keep their butts at home when they decide that getting drunk is the most important thing/they are the most important people in the world. Of course, it's a disease, so they aren't really deciding to do these things but they've gone and done it, so now innocent people suffer?

You could charge a drunk (at a bar) an extra $5 a drink--more than half the time they have no clue what they just shelled out.
i'm also concerned that the police would "single out" certain types of bars, like gay bars for example. then you would they be discriminating based on the policemens' prejudices.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:58 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,069,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i'm also concerned that the police would "single out" certain types of bars, like gay bars for example. then you would they be discriminating based on the policemens' prejudices.
So they don't do that now, but they'd start if they implemented the 10 cent tax?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,563,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
how about the police drive around with their eyes open? I have absolutely no problem spotting many cars every day that obviously have intoxicated drivers in them.. it's not like you really have to look hard in this town. Hanging outside of bars at closing time is another excellent way to find stupid drunk drivers and it's not like they're hard to spot... Someone needs to do something around here because it's getting worse instead of better. The huge amount of drunk drivers is one thing I really don't like about this city/state and anyone that denies there is a problem is either blind, ignorant of the facts, or in complete denial..
Good points rd!!! Has anyone SEEN how many cars pile outta Graham Central Station at closing time? And I'm sure they're not all DD's!! And then there's the times when they let underage drunk drivers go home with somebody else's mommy instead of arresting them!! (Like they did with the idiots that slammed into my daughter and made her car roll twice. ) But Sapphire's right, it doesn't matter if you add 10 cents or 5 bucks to the drink, it's not gonna keep idiots from driving when they're drunk! And I think that the problem is larger than just alcoholics driving drunk. There's also a ton of weekend partiers (and weekday, for that matter) out there who are just too freakin' ignorant (or lazy or whatever) to arrange for a DD. I wish that laws were way tougher and strictly enforced! (Like take away their license for like.... forever on their first offense, and if they kill somebody, well I know I'll get slammed for this but I say lock 'em up for life!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
$.10 per drink
x
10 drinks
=
$1.00

You have 10 drinks on your typical night out Jules?!?
Heh! Nah, not all 10 for me. Otherhalf is almost always DD (since he really doesn't like drinking), so he'll maybe have one early in the evening. (And I wondered if anyone would catch that! LOL! )

Last edited by jules07; 03-14-2008 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio