Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times

Advertisements

Lakers could go down tonight.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:14 PM

933 posts, read 1,979,244 times
hmmmmm...interesting...there may be more significant restrictions on grey water in recharge zones...that being said...is all of SA in a recharge zone? I may have to look that up. I am wondering about possible runoff of laundry detergent, fabric softener...bleach? though I am sure Anthony has the quick and easy answer.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:18 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,557,517 times
zactly, spam. Intersting tho, my grandma always used that "old fasioned" not-necessarily biodegradable detergent and REAL bleach. That grass was flat out GREEN!! Anyway, I'm thinkin' about trying it in the back yard, especially since we could use more of the "eco-friendly" type stuff that would be gentler on the yard and re-charge zone. Iunno, just seems silly to dump all those gallons of water down the drain when it could be being used to water the lawn ~ instead of "good" water from the tap.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:19 PM

Spamatdan, why does your blog say you are in a 2BR apt? I thought you guys bought a house? Is that an old blog you brought over?

Class of '82. Yeah, baby!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:36 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,247,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I love Wayne's World! *lol*
likewise

Old 06-15-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
zactly, spam. Intersting tho, my grandma always used that "old fasioned" not-necessarily biodegradable detergent and REAL bleach. That grass was flat out GREEN!! Anyway, I'm thinkin' about trying it in the back yard, especially since we could use more of the "eco-friendly" type stuff that would be gentler on the yard and re-charge zone. Iunno, just seems silly to dump all those gallons of water down the drain when it could be being used to water the lawn ~ instead of "good" water from the tap.
No kidding! I agree its a waste to let all that water go down. Especially when your sewer (well at least mine) is based on your water usage. So water you are dumping on the grass, you are still paying a stipend for. If it was doable, definitely would be worth the small amount of coin to run that line! I posted this in another thread, but the greenest part of my yard is where the condenser drains to.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Spamatdan, why does your blog say you are in a 2BR apt? I thought you guys bought a house? Is that an old blog you brought over?

Class of '82. Yeah, baby!
Yup yup! I posted it with this disclaimer as the first sentence.

"I originally wrote this one on November 3, 2007, but it gives a very interesting spin on the people we ran into both before and after we got here."

And go class of '82!!!

I finally caught up with a really good friend of mine from high school. He moved to Dallas in 1999!!! A mere 7 years after we previously connected at our 10 year reunion!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamatdan View Post
Yup yup! I posted it with this disclaimer as the first sentence.

"I originally wrote this one on November 3, 2007, but it gives a very interesting spin on the people we ran into both before and after we got here."

And go class of '82!!!

I finally caught up with a really good friend of mine from high school. He moved to Dallas in 1999!!! A mere 7 years after we previously connected at our 10 year reunion!
Oh, yeah it does say that! Missed it the first time. Gotta read these posts more carefully, as I've been told!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,247,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamatdan View Post
hmmmmm...interesting...there may be more significant restrictions on grey water in recharge zones...that being said...is all of SA in a recharge zone? I may have to look that up. I am wondering about possible runoff of laundry detergent, fabric softener...bleach? though I am sure Anthony has the quick and easy answer.
That would be a hydrology/civil engineering question. I'll go ask my professor tomorrow... I'm not an expert in that area just yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Gonna show my ignorance ~ anybody know if there are any restrictions about "grey water" in the city? I wanna run a hose to my yard from my washing machine. My grandma always did this when I was a youngin' in Phoenix. She always had the greenest, most sweet smelling yard around!!! Why dump all that water down the sewer, when it could make my grass green!!!
It's a far stretch from an "official" answer, but my Mom keeps telling me that it's "perfectly legal" to do this.

In our case because I wanted to move the washing machine out of where it currently is (in my eldest's room... the room was a kind of all-purpose room that the previous owners added on to the house)... and put it on my covered back porch instead. Mom says there's no restriction about letting the washer drain onto the yard. I just haven't done it because, aside from not knowing if will have negative ecological side effects, I'd be limited to cold water washing only (unless I could figure out some way to get a hose from my water heater ...which is near the porch... to the washer?)

But wouldn't bleach kill the grass? I don't use bleach in the wash that often, but sometimes.

ETA:

Interesting article on graywater, condensate, etc.

http://www.buildsagreen.org/Press/news/07-09-04_savingwater.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 06-15-2008 at 10:03 PM..
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio