Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:04 AM

39 posts, read 39,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
I have been researching SA for a while now for a future move. This site has had so many postive things about the city. I have been very excited for our upcoming trip to check things out. I was on another site recently which has info on all the best cities. The message board there was terrible! Almost all negatives, very few positives. These posts portrayed SA as a garbage-ridden cesspool with tons of crime and very few nice areas to live. More than one poster said they are always scared and have to always be looking over their shoulder. What gives? Why such different potrayals? Thanks for your input!
I wouldn't be surprised if many of those bashing SA aren't former posters here who have been banned.

Aside from that forum, which I couldn't find, this is a great forum to ask and get answers as well as Yahoo answers.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by da jammer; 05-03-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 04:44 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
I can not speak for the "club" scene type of youth, because we are older than that....but as far as the education or great jobs statements, there are many of us on this board with degrees and skills that are living VERY comfortable lives in SA and do not leave because of the cost of living and all the city has to offer. In the past 5 years, the continued growth as all been for those that have skills and education, and they next 10 yrs inbound employers are all going to require the same.

My husband has been offered a HUGE promotion...but it requires moving to the DC area. We sat down and figured it out, and with the state taxes (none in TX) the cost of housing (4-5 times here) and the commute (you think WE have traffic issues!) we found that we would receive the HUGE promotion in name only...the cost and time that it would require would actually lower our standard of living. Besides, we would loose the charm, easy going, fun loving ways that San Antonio has to offer.

It's nice to be able to kick back, especially if you happen to have one of those jobs that can be a pressure cooker type of stress...the ying and the yang of life!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:19 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polacoster88 View Post
I'm going to agree that San Antonio has undergone a lot of growth, especially since the two years I've been here. However, the city still is lagging in a variety of facets.

First off, I'm 20 and not particularly happy here. Is it customary on this board to insult young people and their opinions? Or was that just an isolated event? I've been all over the US and the world (spent last summer in Japan) and coming back to San Antonio is just like living in a impoverished, sullen, vapid, retrogressive, deprived northern Mexican town.

As someone who's been to Mexico extensively (my parents own a house there and in Houston), San Antonio's culture, society and infrastructure is more reminiscent of places like Monterrey and parts of south Texas border towns in my opinion.

Everything here is slower, and let's face it...this still is a poor city compared to others it's size. Yes, it's impoving, but let's not fool ourselves into making it something it's not. And yes, the singles scene, young persons scene, diversity scene, and young professionals scene seems to be pretty much nonexistent.
With reference to the last paragraph, you're just wrong. Again, there's much (independent art, live music, theater, bars), and if you live near Trinity, you're close to much of it.

By the way, I'm a 31-year old "young professional", and was a single in this neighborhood for a number of years.

I'm curious - what would you require for a great "singles/young persons/diversity/young professionals" scene?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
dvlpr, I agree that San Antonio has all of those things. But, as has been stated extensively elsewhere, it's the quality of those things that is lacking. For example, a city may boast an art museum, but what's the point if it features little more than a display of kids' paper mache projects? (That is not an exaggeration by the way.) I do agree with Polacoaster's overall assessment. It is also my opinion that if you are single, and could win a third grade spelling bee, you will be miserable here.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 PM

Hello, why do you and others with that same delivery even have to ask why your comments are not appreciated here.

Do you even read your BS after you spew it?

Old 05-03-2008, 12:44 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
I'm not posting to be appreciated by locals (or anyone really), but to offer prospective transplants alternative views that may assist in their decision-making process. One is free to ignore my opinions.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 PM

You're not what's unappreciated, you're just a username and text. It's your comments and statements that are unappreciated here. Which is why you nor posters with the same delivery shouldn't have to ever wonder why people dislike you.

But I guess your response will be something to the effect of "I'm not here to be liked."

Old 05-03-2008, 02:08 PM

657 posts, read 1,937,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
It is also my opinion that if you are single, and could win a third grade spelling bee, you will be miserable here.
This is the kind of comment that draws ire..... There are lots of single people here who could win a third grade spelling bee who are perfectly happly, even transplants. It really is the broad generalizations that are insulting, especially to people who could win a third grade spelling bee, are single, and happy in San Antonio.

Last edited by smitty12; 05-03-2008 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
good example of why it's good to read other posts made by a person.. that way you can tell the difference between a person that actually knows the city and, say, a transplanted california college professor that doesn't care for the place and is trying to get out... hypothetically speaking of course..

Last edited by rd2007; 05-03-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 03:18 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,605 times
People... please. Everyone knows where hello, infinity, polecaster(?) and others are coming from. Do I agree with their comments? Generally not. However, getting into personal spats is not helpful to OP's, and only encourages these folks to continue their tired bile-spewing tirades. Why take it all so personally? They crave attention and giving them attention merely encourages them.

OP's with actual questions... please be aware that there are some posters who will post consistently negative, broad generalizations about SA. There are others that will post consistently positive, broad generalizations about SA. And then there are those who try to actually be helpful with specific comments. Readers, caveat emptor. Know who is feeding you commentary and what their agenda is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio