Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:31 AM

74 posts, read 252,501 times

Advertisements

I have been researching SA for a while now for a future move. This site has had so many postive things about the city. I have been very excited for our upcoming trip to check things out. I was on another site recently which has info on all the best cities. The message board there was terrible! Almost all negatives, very few positives. These posts portrayed SA as a garbage-ridden cesspool with tons of crime and very few nice areas to live. More than one poster said they are always scared and have to always be looking over their shoulder. What gives? Why such different potrayals? Thanks for your input!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM

148 posts, read 504,332 times
Can you give me the link to the other place?
I already know all the good things about San Antonio, but I've been wanting to know the bad ones.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,463,441 times
People just have varying opinions. There are some really nice areas and some not-so-nice. Having been born and raised in SA, I am biased and would say, while it isn't paradise, there are a lot of positives. It's a great place to raise a family, there's a lot to do and quite a friendly place. Some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining, so my suggestion is to just see for yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 AM

380 posts, read 1,281,055 times
Yes, please provide the link.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,017,891 times
Believe it all. Everything you read on the Internet is true.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-02-2008, 12:11 PM

74 posts, read 252,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Believe it all. Everything you read on the Internet is true.

Cheers! M2
No, but these are people who live there.

I don't know if I can post the website here. It is bestplaces.com.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:15 PM

111 posts, read 715,163 times
I have lived in Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. I will tell you this, I have never really had a place that I called my home town. When I left SA last year, I will admit I was home sick and still miss it. It is a city that is large enough to give you the "big town" things in life and small enough that you feel comfortable. It is a great place to raise kids, with great medical facilities, lots to do, and the people are exceptional. I have made friends for life from SA. Now there are the city's down falls - crime, gangs, whatever. Not to be rude, but what city or small town doesn't have these issues? So base your own opinions when you visit the city. I have lived in SA for 15 years and call it my home town with pride

Old 05-02-2008, 12:15 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,424,403 times
absolutely true. matter of fact, I'm a 19 year old former Ms. America

actually, I'm a multi-billionaire with nothing better to do with my time..

San Antonio is the 6th or 7th largest city in the country (I can never remember which one we are) and because of this it has plenty of good and bad. I'm rarely happy with it in the summer because I hate hot, but I also enjoy lower than average energy costs.. San Antonio is no Utopia (although there is one near by), nor is it the cess pool of the nation. It's great at being both bad and good and also awful at each one. I'm sure it would be easy to find someone here that loves everything I dislike and hates everything I enjoy.

make sense?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:32 PM

200 posts, read 122,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
I have been researching SA for a while now for a future move. This site has had so many postive things about the city. I have been very excited for our upcoming trip to check things out. I was on another site recently which has info on all the best cities. The message board there was terrible! Almost all negatives, very few positives. These posts portrayed SA as a garbage-ridden cesspool with tons of crime and very few nice areas to live. More than one poster said they are always scared and have to always be looking over their shoulder. What gives? Why such different potrayals? Thanks for your input!
I'm sorry but many on this site give a very inaccurate picture of what San Antonio is really like. First off, San Antonio is a poor, working class, and largely uneducated city. A lot of the sentiments expressed on that site - about the lack of decent paying jobs, lack of importance of education among a large number of the population, and high crime rate are just the way things are here.

The fact of the matter is that if you've traveled like I've traveled, and then come back to San Antonio, you can really see how this city is just a big bordertown like Brownsville. The city has neither economical or cultural significance and is very provincial in regards to change and progress.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:37 PM

200 posts, read 122,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
absolutely true. matter of fact, I'm a 19 year old former Ms. America

actually, I'm a multi-billionaire with nothing better to do with my time..

San Antonio is the 6th or 7th largest city in the country (I can never remember which one we are) and because of this it has plenty of good and bad. I'm rarely happy with it in the summer because I hate hot, but I also enjoy lower than average energy costs.. San Antonio is no Utopia (although there is one near by), nor is it the cess pool of the nation. It's great at being both bad and good and also awful at each one. I'm sure it would be easy to find someone here that loves everything I dislike and hates everything I enjoy.

make sense?
Calling San Antonio the 7th largest city does it an injustice. Again, if you've traveled (something a majority of San Antonians have not done, I'm sorry to say), you'd realize this cities infrastructure is severely lacking in comparison to other top 10 cities, and arguably, to even smaller cities like Seattle, Boston, Miami, and San Francisco.

No kind of light-rail, poorly planned, executed, and laid out road system, virtually no culture, very little diversity, large number of poor and uneducated people, prevalent provincial mindset, lack of single life, lack of restaurants (unless you mean barbecue or Mexican), the list goes on.

In my opinion, if one is expecting a metropolitan experience, they will NOT find this in SA. This city just is not a true cosmopolitan mecca in the least bit. The fact of the matter is that, the way San Antonio is organized (with no suburbs and every area around the city counted as the cities population) you get an inaccurate picture of the cities true size.

The reality is that San Antonio is the 29th largest metro in the US. The city itself may have 1.2 million people, but the metropolitan area only has marginally more. Classifying San Antonio in this fashion, one can accept the cities small-town atmosphere, instead of comparing it to the likes of other top 10 US cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio