Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times

Advertisements

I thought the OP want to put aside any "principle" arguments here? We aren't doing a very good job of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 09:52 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,776,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I personally refuse to shop at wally world, but that's just on principle and that's almost a foreign word to most people..

I do the vast majority of my shopping at the HEB+ on Potranco and I also go to the commissary on Lackland. The best prices are usually at the commissary, but not everyone can shop there. I love Super Target, but the locations (Bandera Point and Crossroads) aren't drives I want to take. When the AR one opens I'll be a regular shopper there.
as far as milk, I don't really drink the stuff and get a plastic gallon of the Hill Country Fair stuff for cooking and cereal pretty much. We usually end up throwing some out and I wish they sold 3/4 gallon jugs. That would be perfect for my house
Can't you just buy three separate quart bottles????

Old 05-18-2008, 09:55 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
you know how prices vary with the different sizes. A pint is almost as expensive as a quart and a half gallon is almost as expensive as a gallon. You could probably buy two gallons for the price of three quarts. I find that annoying, but that's the old supply and demand thing in action..

Old 05-18-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you know how prices vary with the different sizes. A pint is almost as expensive as a quart and a half gallon is almost as expensive as a gallon. You could probably buy two gallons for the price of three quarts. I find that annoying, but that's the old supply and demand thing in action..
yeaaaahhh, buuuuuuut........
are you still spending the 'extra' money when you poor some down the drain??

I'm assuming that, like me, you shuffle bottles around to reach alllllll the way to the back and get the latest exp dates???
I go longer than most people on the 'expiration' date... but then you've got kids in the house; I might not do that if I had kids in the house.....

Last edited by PopsGuysRule; 05-18-2008 at 10:24 AM..

Old 05-18-2008, 10:55 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I do indeed dig deep for milk and pretty much everything else. The only problem with that is sometimes you get burned when you don't verify you have what you wanted. That's how I usually get funky cans of things I didn't want to buy.
and it seems milk sours the day after the date on the jug, or at least it does for me. Plus we don't always throw some down, just sometimes, but if I was to buy a half gallon, that would be gone in about 10 minutes.. That's just how these people roll.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:52 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Can't you just buy three separate quart bottles????
Yes, if the product is available in that size.

I buy the 1% lowfat milk in the 1/2 gallon jug, but I find HEB is sometimes out of stock on that size. They don't make the 1% lowfat product available in anything smaller than 1/2 gallon, so that leaves the 1 gallon jug which they ALWAYS have in stock, so I end up buying that size and dumping the rest out when in turns sour.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:10 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I feel the HEB I shop at has pretty good sales on meat. I can often find reduced priced meat there, also. I usually go to Walmart for everything else because we are on a budget and the price is right. I do like HEB Market, they usually have great produce prices.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Yes, if the product is available in that size.

I buy the 1% lowfat milk in the 1/2 gallon jug, but I find HEB is sometimes out of stock on that size. They don't make the 1% lowfat product available in anything smaller than 1/2 gallon, so that leaves the 1 gallon jug which they ALWAYS have in stock, so I end up buying that size and dumping the rest out when in turns sour.

oh, but they DO offer the quart sizes in other varieties... I buy the non fat in quart bottles, AND the low fat, whole milk and even buttermilk is also available in quart sizes! The HEB brand is there AND Bordens' brand also offers quart sizes of all their varieties, but Bordens' is more expensive....

Old 05-18-2008, 04:21 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
HEB is sky high. They catfish filets were 7.99 on HEB Plus at Blanco and 5.99 at HEB at Lincoln Heights. What gives? I thought the oil companies were the only ones gouging the consumer

Old 05-18-2008, 09:08 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
I've found that both HEB and Target prices vary by location. The HEB on the southside (I-37 & SE Military) is generally cheaper than those on the northside (Wurzbach, De Zavala). Of course, it also has less interesting stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio