Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 AM

259 posts, read 910,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
He, like Horn, is a hero and our society would be a much better place if people looked after each other like they did!
"I would never advocate anyone doing what I did," Horn said. "I know what a hero is, and that's not me."

I'm very much pro-gun, but Horn is lucky that he wasn't charged with a crime. He's absolutely straddling the line between justifiable action and vigilantism. I might *want* to shoot some punk who steals an orange from my tree or a candy bar from the store, but I wouldn't actually follow through with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 AM

115 posts, read 279,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I just found the video on the WalMart shooting, just
watch it and you will see how Due Moore saved the woman's life. He, like Horn, is a hero and our society would be a much better place if people looked after each other like they did!

Cheers! M2
Mr. Horn did not save anybodys life. He took the lives of two unarmed men who were trying to run away. At least look at the facts, nobodys life was in danger in this whole situation. He is in no way a hero. He is a double murderer who got away with it. And our legal system, I won't even go there.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,794 times
If you don't want a ticket, don't speed.

If you don't want to ruin your eyesight, don't look into the sun.

If you don't want to get shot, don't break into anyone's house.

The easiest way to avoid this whole thing is to not be a loser and break into someone's house. When someone sets foot in my house without permission in the middle of the night, they're getting introduced to a hollow point or two.

If these fools are breaking into a neighbor's house, they're obviously crazy enough to do anything, and that makes them dangerous to me. Especially when they rush me. Maybe they were running to get behind a car and pull their own weapon. Maybe they were running to get a gun and plan to come back.

By killing these two wastes of skin, he probably prevented someone else being hurt or killed by one of these scum. Even if it's two years down the road and they graduated from burglary to murder. Rarely to murderers start as murderers. It was a pre-emptive strike if nothing else, and I'm all for it.

If you don't want to get shot, don't break into anyone else's house. Pretty simple idea.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:29 AM

259 posts, read 910,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
By killing these two wastes of skin, he probably prevented someone else being hurt or killed by one of these scum. Even if it's two years down the road and they graduated from burglary to murder. Rarely to murderers start as murderers. It was a pre-emptive strike if nothing else, and I'm all for it.
That's some far-fetched reasoning.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,858 times
Video of Mr. Horn's first police interview:

Video from Houston Chronicle | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/07/templates/listpop.html?mcVideo=1640659830 - broken link)

Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
That's some far-fetched reasoning.
Not really. Murderers don't usually start off that way.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that had they not been breaking into someone's home, they wouldn't be dead. Make a stupid decision, live (or don't) with the consequences.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,996,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Mr. Horn did not save anybodys life. He took the lives of two unarmed men who were trying to run away. At least look at the facts, nobodys life was in danger in this whole situation. He is in no way a hero. He is a double murderer who got away with it. And our legal system, I won't even go there.
He did, he saved his own life. And a person does not need to be armed to commit an assault. I could easily beat you to death using only my hands, would you realistically just stand there and do nothing about it? I don't think so.

I like how you keep acting like the two criminals were innocently doing nothing but neglecting the fact that 1) they were committing felony burglary at the time and 2) they threatened and ran towards Mr Horn when he confronted them from his own property!

I guess he was suppose to just stand there and let the chance of them committing battery (they already committed an assault by threatening him, and felony burglary in the neighbor's house) against him happen before taking any action.

I hope you find yourself in a similar situation one day, it would be interesting to see how you conduct yourself!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,782,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
They should have had a grand jury from outside the area look at this case. I wonder if they had legal family in the area. They can still sue him for wrongful death.
Yeah, that's right! The answer to everything. Enlist a lawyer. Convict via the civil process. But, I guess if you need someone to manipulate facts and destroy credibility, that's the route to take. Next to these deceased thugs, imo, they're just as bad (not all, just most).

On the other hand, if you were to award the family damages based on these two thug's future potential income, I'd bet their financial worth would somewhere be in the neighborhood of negative numbers.

If some of these thug's family come out of the wordwork to seek out the money train, I hope the other victims of this debacle get in on it too. That includes the homeowners of the break-in and Mr. Horn himself. Had these two thugs not accepted the risk of their profession and placed themselves in that neighborhood, Mr. Horn and his neighbors would not be in the stressful position they are in today.

The thugs would be here too, albeit illegally.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:16 PM

348 posts, read 1,223,163 times
It would be interesting to see how other people in America would react in this same exact situation because I would be willing to bet that most people would panic and make irrational decisions as well. The uniqueness about this case is that the law actually protects the victim, Mr Horn.

As in the case with Mr Horn, you can tell from the tape he was stressed and scared yet concerned about is neighbors property.

Why are so many people throwing stones at him for the decision he made. He had enough with the crime he was witnessing and he was acting in good-faith to help his fellow neighbor out.

Many times we see our fellow Americans look the other way when someone else is being victimized or being taken advantage of. Many of us have viewed undercover stings organized by TVshows that tape the reaction of bystanders. Ex) an old man is being beat up in public or how a group of kids harrass another kid and no one invervened because they 'didn't want to get involved' and be liable and end up being sued.

Enough is enough. How tragic would it have been if Mr Horn sat in his house watching a crime in action and someone were being raped or attacked in that house? Oh well, according to the 911 operator, just stay away and don't get involved. However, I do understand why the 911 operator made those comments in trying to keep Mr Horn safe. But sometimes as a HUMAN BEING you just know that you can't stand by and watch. Joe Horn stood up while no one asked him to, he felt it was the right thing to do and our TX law protects him.

I know many times my neighbors have children home alone and I would not be able to sit and stare out the window. I would be concerned and try to provide aid to my neighbor and it's good to know that in TX the law will protect the victim.

He is a hero for the fact that he said ENOUGH and acted in good-faith to help his community.

We have bigger disparities within the legal system (rights for child sex offenders, rights for illeagal aliens who have committed murder, etc) and this situation should not take our focus off of the more important and dire problems.

Mr. Horn can be my neighbor any day.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:25 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
I'll never understand why people stick up for the thugs, criminals, rapists, murderers, thieves etc.
For some reason they suffer from the michael moore syndrome, which is where they hate themselves for being successful.. it's an awful disease and I wish there was an immunization for it. There technically is, but that's for a whole 'nother thread..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio