Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:18 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,882 times

Advertisements

This is huge!!!!! I know SA isn't the most progressive or eco-friendly city (not complaining.. just stating the facts ) We only have one local store ( Eden's Baby The Natural Choice for Mother and Child, Cloth Diapers, Natural Organic Mom and Baby Products, Green Baby, (http://www.edensbaby.com/index.php - broken link) ) that carries cloth diapers... I've been hearing from some of my CDing friends that live in other, more progressive cities that their Targets have been carrying the brand BumGenius, bumGenius cloth diapers by Cotton Babies, which is an amazing diaper... and I've been searching all of our Targets but they have never carried it, until now! The Target location at La Cantera has the BG 3.0 diapers, wet bags (a way to store used diapers, but can also be used for swimsuits etc) Baby Legs, and even a baby carrier called Baby K'Tan (Baby K'tan Baby Carrier - Sling, Babywearing, Clothing, and more!)

Now, I'm still ALL about supporting the local stores like Eden's Baby. I'm just happy to see that our Target finally got some of those items in stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times
I am totally amazed. Target is stepping it up. I can't believe that they are making the move to cloth diapering though. That is really HUGE.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:02 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,100 times
I have to question you Eco people. wouldt washable diapers be more expensive than disposables? and more wastefull aswell. You still have to wash them. And chances are that most of you will use a washer and dryer. so whats the point of saving something here, when you are going to waste something there? and closing comments most kids only need diapers for the first 15-20 months so in the end they are going to be wastefull, unless you use them to wax your car.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I have to question you Eco people. wouldt washable diapers be more expensive than disposables? and more wastefull aswell. You still have to wash them. And chances are that most of you will use a washer and dryer. so whats the point of saving something here, when you are going to waste something there? and closing comments most kids only need diapers for the first 15-20 months so in the end they are going to be wastefull, unless you use them to wax your car.

Are Disposable Diapers Dangerous? (http://www.marriagearticles.net/Article/Are-Disposable-Diapers-Dangerous-/941 - broken link)

Enjoy!!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
#1) washable diapers are cheaper even if you include washing and drying.

#2) your not filling landfills with diapers.

#3) children that use washable diapers are potty trained faster because its not as comfy.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM

317 posts, read 1,751,227 times
I think its great to have these options here in San Antonio. We couldn't find any when shopping for a cousin's baby shower some time ago.

svg210- Kids can potty train at different times and some wear diapers until they are 2-3 years old. Given all those diapers a day, it adds up to an obscene amount of diapers and costs. You can rinse out cloth diapers, let them sit in soapy water, wash a load when it adds up and then hang them out to dry. Sure, its not for everyone--- but at one time, there wasn't a choice. Also, if your kiddo has a sensitive bottom, like one of ours did, some disposable diapers can cause a severe allergic rash and you might not have too many choices! Our youngest reacted to several name brand disposables- it was horrible. Cloth diapers are great for things besides diapering. They make the BEST shoulder rags for holding babies and keeping spit up off your clothes! Seriously! We had some that were specifically for shoulders and shirt protection. (we marked them with permanent marker) Baby drool can stain seriously your good clothes!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Average cost to cloth diaper a baby from new born to potty training is ~$500... and you can reuse the dipes on your next child.
Average cost using 'sposies- $2,500. Then you do it again for child #2...
You do the math.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
I think its great to have these options here in San Antonio. We couldn't find any when shopping for a cousin's baby shower some time ago.

svg210- Kids can potty train at different times and some wear diapers until they are 2-3 years old. Given all those diapers a day, it adds up to an obscene amount of diapers and costs. You can rinse out cloth diapers, let them sit in soapy water, wash a load when it adds up and then hang them out to dry. Sure, its not for everyone--- but at one time, there wasn't a choice. Also, if your kiddo has a sensitive bottom, like one of ours did, some disposable diapers can cause a severe allergic rash and you might not have too many choices! Our youngest reacted to several name brand disposables- it was horrible. Cloth diapers are great for things besides diapering. They make the BEST shoulder rags for holding babies and keeping spit up off your clothes! Seriously! We had some that were specifically for shoulders and shirt protection. (we marked them with permanent marker) Baby drool can stain seriously your good clothes!
Oh how times have changed!!!! You don't even have to "soak" your diapers any more... I am using what is called a "wet bag" to store my used dipes... I will wash every other day, so just 3 extra loads a week. I plan on line drying sometimes and using my dryer other times. They are SO easy now... they also have liner (sorta like a dryer sheet) that collects the 'poo. Drop that in the toilet, flush, toss your dipe in the wet bag and continue w/ your day.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
We tried cloth diapers 30 years ago! Not worth it!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Yes, and our generation won't look our children in the eye and tell them that we overlooked green alternatives becuase it "was not worth it".

Our generation is willing to put in the extra effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio