Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I can understand the frustration about the whole in person/phone thing.

The one thing you have to remember, though, is that the person calling in doesn't know how busy the establishment is, while, you, standing there, can see. The perfect thing to do would be to say, sorry please hold on to the telephone person. Unfortunatly, if they avoided the call, the person is probably going to call somewhere else. If you owned a business that worked the same way, you would probably want your employees to do the same.

Me personally, while, my time is valuable to me, it is not a big deal to wait on them to answer a "business" call. Now, if it was a personal call, or them shooting the breeze with others, thats a different story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,683,032 times
If I was an employee and the phone was ringing with a customer approaching, I would simply say excuse me for just a second,smile kindly, and then take the phone call. But, yes, that would irritate me if they simply answered the phone with me standing in front of the counter w/o saying a word.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,028,376 times
I must have low standards because this doesn't bother me.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:48 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,743 times
Yikes.

These complaints sound awfully high-maintenance. I mean, you're getting your food to-go - not receiving service at a sit-down restaurant. If your food is being served with plastic silverware, I think you mostly lose the right to be incredibly picky about "service".

And is it really that big of a deal to be inconvenienced for 90 seconds while some $6.50/hour employee tries to do his/her job? I think the suburbs are slowly driving the people who live there insane...

Old 10-30-2008, 09:00 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Yikes.

These complaints sound awfully high-maintenance. I mean, you're getting your food to-go - not receiving service at a sit-down restaurant. If your food is being served with plastic silverware, I think you mostly lose the right to be incredibly picky about "service".

And is it really that big of a deal to be inconvenienced for 90 seconds while some $6.50/hour employee tries to do his/her job? I think the suburbs are slowly driving the people who live there insane...
Maybe people are being picky-but as a paying customer I think you have a right to demand courteous customer service. These places are "cutting their own throat". If you get bad services somewhere, you are much more likely to talk about it than if you get great service. Again, word of mouth goes a long ways and the way the economy is, these business can't afford to lose customers over something so easy to fix.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
Maybe people are being picky-but as a paying customer I think you have a right to demand courteous customer service. These places are "cutting their own throat". If you get bad services somewhere, you are much more likely to talk about it than if you get great service. Again, word of mouth goes a long ways and the way the economy is, these business can't afford to lose customers over something so easy to fix.
Right. But, can they afford to not answer the phone and lose that business? What about that guy who called and doesnt have his call answered who then says "Screw X-Pizza Place, I'm gonna go to ______." I totally desire and respect great customer service. On same token, I know I am not the only customer out there.

I work at a call center that processes orders...easy to figure out. Sometimes, we are super busy, where people may have to wait on hold for a bit before we can help them. I can't tell you how many calls I hear or have taken as Supervisor calls where the customer wants to yell at me or a rep because they have NEVER had to wait this long. Then they proceed to rant and rave about it....all the while making the rest of the customers wait even longer to get through. They tell me how we should hire more people (mind you, we will have brought 500 extra people in to work), and that we should have known this would happen (we did, but didnt know that many people would call in), how they want a discount cause they had to wait, etc. Then, they have ranted so long that the item they called in to order has sold out WHILE ON THE PHONE COMPLAINING!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,294,766 times
Customer Service is such a double edged sword. The reason sometimes we get crappy service is because the person providing the service has had to deal with so much sometimes in such a short amount of time from the customers. Im not saying its right but alot of times its hard to not take it personal when a customer is screaming, yelling, and calling you every name in the book then to put on a happy face when the next customer in line gets their turn. Customer service people are human and its easy to become discouraged when you are servicing people, especially people who have no manners and dont know how to treat people right.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I totally desire and respect great customer service. On same token, I know I am not the only customer out there.
Exactly right.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
So, I forget, is Florio's a sit-down silverware type place, would anyone say? Because lots of people complain about the rude service there.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Customer Service is such a double edged sword. The reason sometimes we get crappy service is because the person providing the service has had to deal with so much sometimes in such a short amount of time from the customers. Im not saying its right but alot of times its hard to not take it personal when a customer is screaming, yelling, and calling you every name in the book then to put on a happy face when the next customer in line gets their turn. Customer service people are human and its easy to become discouraged when you are servicing people, especially people who have no manners and dont know how to treat people right.
Great response. I have to preach that to my employees, that they are just yelling at the company, not you, ect. People are just so rude, employees and customers alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio