Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:45 PM

824 posts, read 1,817,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42JetSet View Post
Firstly, may I just say, very nicely, that there are those of us who moved here recently and have not had the pleasure of voting in local elections yet.
Secondly, when we chose where our home would be we located, we thought about my husband's commute, the issues I would face toting kids about never really entered our minds. It is unfortunate we were not able to visit SA during regular working/traffic days and I do apologize that I was not more informed. Traffic is a fact of life, we get it, deal with the inconvenience and try diligently not to complain (there are those days like last week that just need venting). I know there are those with issues with "N of 1604-ites", but honestly we're just decent, hardworking, nice people who did our best to chose a neighborhood for our family. And I'm kind of hurt by the implications and stereotypes.
I kindly and very un-sarcastically recommend that one not read threads that one finds offensive or irrelevant, and therefore one will not be emotionally taxed.
Well that post almost takes all the fun out of taunting you poor suburbanites...almost.....

Kidding. I know that many people move to this area (and most suburban areas) for the new schools and cheap houses. I would never doubt that you are a decent, nice, hardworking person.

But I am truly mystified how anyone could go to that part of SA and have any doubts about traffic! A casual tour would reveal:

- 281/1604 don't have flyovers;
- 281 doesn't have overpasses;
- The two other main North-South roads (Blanco & Bulverde) are two-lane country roads;
- Most of the other thoroughfares don't connect through;
- The local streets are in gated subdivisions that don't connect to one another;
- Walking anywhere is virtually impossible (and certainly unsafe), making driving mandatory for virtually everything.

And I'm even more mystified that people don't leave once they discover how bad the traffic is. You suburbanites are literally driving yourselves crazy!!!

But please don't take it personally. Remember, there are an equal (if not greater) number of people who think I'm crazy to live 1.5 miles north of downtown in a 90-year old house in a not-so-great school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,833,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Remember, there are an equal (if not greater) number of people who think I'm crazy to live 1.5 miles north of downtown in a 90-year old house in a not-so-great school district.

Yup, and I'm one of them!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,009,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Speaking on behalf of my half of the San Antonio moderator team, I can assure members that the only threads that will be stopped are threads which break rules or which bring no value to the community. I have offline friends who live north of 1604 and if they posted here, they'd say that traffic is probably their #1 concern about their neck of the woods.
Traffic is something you can move away from. It is not something that was forced upon anyone (unless you lived in this area 20 years ago which is about 1% if that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How about a "I hate 1604 & everything" thread
Haha I would but I live North of 1604 and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
i just blame Terri Hall. If it wasn't for her nonsense and insanity, 281 would have been DONE a year ago. Now construction still hasn't started and might not till '09-'10 thanks to this SECOND hold back
If we already did have the funds then I only blamer her for fighting the tolls and having no back up plan. I don't see her hitting the pavement to find an alternative but she sure did to stop the tolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Agree with the OP.

Yes, traffic is (and will remain) horrific in the 1604/281 area.

Moderator cut: off-topic
Some would argue with that on this board.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-13-2008 at 12:08 AM..

Old 11-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,145,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Traffic is something you can move away from. It is not something that was forced upon anyone (unless you lived in this area 20 years ago which is about 1% if that.)
That's your solution. Isn't it a bit simplistic? Or is moving away the best solution for whatever your biggest gripe is about the area of town you live in?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:01 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,814,006 times
Quote:
Speaking on behalf of my half of the San Antonio moderator team, I can assure members that the only threads that will be stopped are threads which break rules or which bring no value to the community.
I concur with Bowie, unless a thread is outside the guidelines of the ToS or does not pertain to the SA area, each will remain.

And, just as a reminder, folks, these forums are here to serve ALL of our members... equally and in a welcoming manner... not for the preferences of just a few. They exist, first and foremost, for relocation information gathering... and secondly, for sharing local information among yourselves. Not all threads/posts will interest everyone here. So what? Just read the ones of interest to you and move on, no biggie.

It also might well serve everyone to try to remember these statements within the Terms of Service:

Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
Thanks all!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
That's your solution. Isn't it a bit simplistic? Or is moving away the best solution for whatever your biggest gripe is about the area of town you live in?
No my solution is do your homework. Just like all the people that did not "understand" the mortgage they where getting into. Picking the place one lives is one of the biggest decision's in life. Especially if you are buying the home.

I live in Stone Oak and do not mind the traffic one bit or clearly I would not moved to this side of town.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
I concur with Bowie, unless a thread is outside the guidelines of the ToS or does not pertain to the SA area, each will remain.

And, just as a reminder, folks, these forums are here to serve ALL of our members... equally and in a welcoming manner... not for the preferences of just a few. They exist, first and foremost, for relocation information gathering... and secondly, for sharing local information among yourselves. Not all threads/posts will interest everyone here. So what? Just read the ones of interest to you and move on, no biggie.

It also might well serve everyone to try to remember these statements within the Terms of Service:

Thanks all!
I guess my statement was mis-understood. I was not saying asking the mod's to go and close all the threads about traffic it was a general post to the "folks" of Cd.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:02 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,181,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
If we already did have the funds then I only blamer her for fighting the tolls and having no back up plan. I don't see her hitting the pavement to find an alternative but she sure did to stop the tolls.
For now.

Terri's solution is to go back to the original plan, which essentially was to build a toll-free version of the tollway plan. However, her lawsuit to stop the toll project on environmental grounds also stopped any chance of the original toll-free project getting done as well, because they both had the same physical characteristics and therefore both were contingent on the same environmental clearances (which have now been withdrawn), a fact that Ms. Hall has yet to comprehend.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:44 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,562,206 times
I haven't followed that whole thing nearly enough to understand it. But the thing that sticks in my craw is this ~ isn't that chick from California, and fairly new to SA when she started the whole thing? NOT that I have anything against Californian's, being a former one myself. It's just that usually Texans don't take too lightly to "outsiders" coming in and trying to take over. Just seems like that's what she did.

Is there a "Terri Hall and the Whole 281 Toll Mess for Dummies" or Readers Digest condensed version????

Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,010,747 times
No worries, it will all be taken care of by the third loop (46) and the new toll roads!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio