Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:31 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Anything in the "Westover Hills" or "Westplex" area is NOT "Westside". I hafta agree with Mojo, we're just inside 1604 and NOT "Westside". (Don't exactly know where I'd "draw the line", so to speak, tho.)
Westover Hills is most certainly "West Side." I know there's a local stigma about the "West Side" because of the poor Near West Side but WH is West Side. Heck, Charles Wender (master mind/developer of Westover Hills) has told me personally that he gets upset when people say Westover Hills is in the "Northwest side." WOAI once did a special on the growth in WH and they called it the NW side and Charles just flat out said: "You mean the west side."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Westover Hills is most certainly "West Side." I know there's a local stigma about the "West Side" because of the poor Near West Side but WH is West Side. Heck, Charles Wender (master mind/developer of Westover Hills) has told me personally that he gets upset when people say Westover Hills is in the "Northwest side." WOAI once did a special on the growth in WH and they called it the NW side and Charles just flat out said: "You mean the west side."
Were you just trying to provoke an argument by starting this discussion? You seem to be ignoring the input you're getting from members.

I'm not offended that my own input was ignored, but the moderator part of me is growing suspicious based on the rather insistent tone of this reply. Without knowing more about your motivation and goal, I fear that someone is going to end up offended and the thread will take a turn for the worse.

Can you provide some more explanation? We need some help understanding what you were hoping to accomplish here.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
I agree it's pretty much how I define it. I've always wondered what the "official boundaries" are of the "northwest" "far northwest" and "west" sides are. With the massive growth of the area area Potranco and Culebra, which is west of 10 (and my definition of the Northwest side) I can see how people would not like to call something upcoming and new and supposed to be the "best" "westside," as per the stigma associated with it. When I hear someone say "far northwest side of San Antonio" I think of the Dominion area, not Alamo Ranch. I mean, look at a compass.

I'd also include Camp Bullis in your map of San Antonio, and like some others have mentioned, include the Schertz area, even that little . It's for sure part of San Antonio. I'd also stretch out the east and far southeast side because those are areas of San Antonio that people live in. When my family was looking to move out closer to Seguin a few years ago we looked in that area.

I just cannot see how people can associate Sea World and Fiesta Texas as the same side of town. But, to each their own.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:58 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
I remember a discussion along these lines last year. Again, I'm going to suggest placing a compass rose over a map of San Antonio. As everyone knows, there are 360 degrees in a circle, so you can divide it by 8 (for the major compass directions) and come up with 45 degrees for each area as follows:

North: 340-25
Northeast: 25-70
East: 70-115
Southeast: 115-160
South: 160-205
Southwest: 205-250
West: 250-295
Northwest: 295-340

No more "subjective" areas of town.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Were you just trying to provoke an argument by starting this discussion? You seem to be ignoring the input you're getting from members.
Not at all. I apologize if that last response came off argumentative or antagonizing. Didn't mean for that at all.

Quote:
I'm not offended that my own input was ignored, but the moderator part of me is growing suspicious based on the rather insistent tone of this reply. Without knowing more about your motivation and goal, I fear that someone is going to end up offended and the thread will take a turn for the worse.
TEXHWYMAN knows what the intent is but I'm not too sure if I can share it here without getting into trouble. But long story short, I'm starting a website and the boundaries of the "Sides" is important. Basically since it's not defined and basically ambigious I am going off my own definitions from years of development work as well as other things.

Quote:
Can you provide some more explanation? We need some help understanding what you were hoping to accomplish here.
Honestly I wasn't asking for personal suggestions as I know it differs from one to the other. I was simply asking if what I posted was as close as it gets.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
When I hear someone say "far northwest side of San Antonio" I think of the Dominion area, not Alamo Ranch. I mean, look at a compass.
I agree completely. There were times after I moved here when people would talk about whatever going on in the northwest part of town, and m sitting there confused after looking up the location and seeing it due west of downtown. Northwest is nothing south or Culebra Rd IMO.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'd also include Camp Bullis in your map of San Antonio,
Without giving too much away about my site, the capacity in which these map boundaries will be used does not support large areas of undeveloped land.

Quote:
and like some others have mentioned, include the Schertz area, even that little .
I did in the revised map.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/...67cdc0c7_b.jpg

Quote:
It's for sure part of San Antonio. I'd also stretch out the east and far southeast side because those are areas of San Antonio that people live in.
Like THM alluded to earlier, I am just using the urban area of San Antonio. Those areas of east and southeast SA aren't too populated. In time they will be added but as of now it's not something I will focus on.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
...TEXHWYMAN knows what the intent is but I'm not too sure if I can share it here without getting into trouble. But long story short, I'm starting a website and the boundaries of the "Sides" is important. Basically since it's not defined and basically ambigious I am going off my own definitions from years of development work as well as other things....
Well, as you can see the varying opinions based on just a few replies, I suggest you put a notice near the top of your web page stating what you said above (in bold).

Another thing. You keep referring to "population" as a determination of your boundaries. You're talking about areas on a map, not populations. Of course, it's going to be your web site, so you can use any criteria you want.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Well, as you can see the varying opinions based on just a few replies, I suggest you put a notice near the top of your web page stating what you said above (in bold).
I'm hoping to get the city to actually implement my definitions. I know a few insiders and most agree with my map boundaries.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:29 PM

Steel, check your DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio