Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:48 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,342,175 times

Advertisements

(OP #1) I usually listen to Sirius/XM but when I'm sitting on the freeway stuck in traffic and want to know why, I'll switch over to local radio and hunt for a traffic report. It'll be 8:00 in the morning and I can't find traffic reporting anywhere. I'm completely unfamiliar with San Antonio radio stations so tell me which are the best for regular traffic reports (at least every 10 minutes during rush hour). I listen to country, pop or news so please no recommendations for stations that play rap or classical. Thanks.

(OP #2) I usually listen to Sirius, but when I'm sitting on I-35 in the morning, not moving, I'd like to know why. I'll switch over to the radio and try various stations but it can be a half hour and I won't hear a traffic report. I've tried just picking one and leaving it there, but I'll arrive at work (late) before a traffic report comes on. Are there any stations that give traffic reports at least every 10 minutes during rush hour? I prefer to listen to country or pop, but will listen to a news channel if I'm guaranteed to get my traffic update.

Last edited by Bo; 02-02-2009 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Merged two threads and combined the original posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:30 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,442 times
I think a lot of AM stations will have traffic reports, such as WOAI 1200.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM

269 posts, read 914,136 times
I like the traffic report on I think it's 103.5 ... she has some quirky name ... kinda funny considering I am sitting in Austin traffic listening to San Antonio traffic reports!!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:30 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
I've been sitting in traffic--either a big wreck or just a lot of cars.....with WOAI on, during their traffic reports, and heard not a peep about the location I happened to be in. I've also heard reports of heavy traffic, and happened to be in that area, and it's clear for miles. I don't think they are in real time.

Not sure if there is good traffic reporting here.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
During rush hours, WOAI has traffic reports on the 10s and KTSA has them on the 5s.

I've had similar disappointments to those sapphire mentions. It seems like both of them regularly pass along stale information. Many is the time they've told me of an accident at some intersection, yet I see no accident when I get to that spot. IMO, there isn't a good local source for traffic info.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
IMO, there isn't a good local source for traffic info.
I would second that.

One morning there was a report of an accident at 1604@NW Military. About a minute later I got to the intersection - no accident. The accident was actually between military and wiseman. I called the radio station to let them know and their response was "we report what the police tell us", apparently they just list the closest major intersection. And they didn't correct their reporting to boot. IMHO less than useful information. If you're listening to the radio to plan your commute you need the best info. The stations in D.C. have been the best I've seen for reporting. They even go so far as giving you options getting around the incident.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:04 AM

276 posts, read 970,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
IMO, there isn't a good local source for traffic info.
+1

I cannot count the number of times they've failed to report major problems.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:11 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,179,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Not sure if there is good traffic reporting here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I would second that.
Yep, I concur. KTSA and WOAI are the best of the bunch, but even they leave something to be desired.

In this day and age of traffic cameras and immediate online access to real-time traffic data and accident reports, there is no excuse for crappy traffic reports.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
As someone who had to drive Loop 410 across the North Side every weekday at rush hour for several years up until a couple of years ago, I can attest to the fact that the traffic reports on radio stations frequently lag. I would hear reports of a problem along the stretch I was traveling on, only to find nothing at that spot one minute later. Then other times I would be at a standstill with traffic backed up as far ahead as I can see, frantically switching radio stations to try to find one actually reporting the problem, to no avail. Sometimes when they reported a problem, they would get the direction or the highway name wrong (reported as Eastbound, but was actually Westbound; Callaghan at I-10 turned out to be Callaghan at 410, etc.).

Another problem: a portion of Loop 410 cuts through the Castle Hills city limits. Small suburban cities like that apparently aren't always monitored, because I would get caught in traffic backups that were caused by major accidents on the Castle Hills portion of 410, and nary a word from any of the radio traffic reports I was listening to before or after I got through the bottleneck.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,964,378 times
Anyone from the Washington, DC metro wish for a WTOP around here? They are awesome--traffic and weather on the 8's, and the rest is news all day long. The traffic is real-time (sometimes takes up to 3 minutes to get through) and is fed from traffic cameras, police/fire reports, and call-in updates. I've been living here for just over a year and really miss that kind of information.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio