Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:39 PM

139 posts, read 363,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

it pained me greatly to have to drill holes in the bumper of my brand new Toyota; but it had to be done.

Cheers! M2
Did you actually drill holes into the bumper, or have the dealer do it?
I ask because I have a car that did not have a bracket/area for a plate. Now that I have 2 plates, I have wondered this same thing. I do not dare do this myself, or even dare have my DH do it!
To the OP, Thank you very much for asking this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:33 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
I did it, and it is a gut-wrenching experience although it is not that tough. Just take your time, mark the locations of the holes and make sure it is level. I would check it twice before actually drilling.

You can also buy cheap plastic license plate brackets at most auto parts stores and probably WalMart as well that might make it fit a little better. I just mounted my plate directly onto the bumper as I know there will always be a tag on the front of this car.

The funny thing is that if this were my Jeep it wouldn't bother me a bit. Scratches and nicks are "trail scars" and badges of honor in the Jeep community. However, I go to great lengths to make sure Sprocket (my new Toyota) stays pristine. I don't think it is a battle I will win, but I plan to fight it every step of the way!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-29-2009, 06:17 PM

165 posts, read 463,988 times
I'm sure my Jeep is a rolling advertisement just asking to be pulled over. We just moved here from Kansas and they don't even give you two plates, let alone require two. So obviously, we don't have a front plate on there.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:22 PM

135 posts, read 551,076 times
Like sinsativ and I said, "front" is not defined. You guys need to read State v. Losoya, Tex.App.-Austin,2004 128 S.W.3d 413:
display of front license plate between dashboard
and windshield of vehicle did not violate section of
transportation code requiring that motor vehicle
“display two license plates, at the front and rear of
the vehicle.”

Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesmic View Post
I'm sure my Jeep is a rolling advertisement just asking to be pulled over. We just moved here from Kansas and they don't even give you two plates, let alone require two. So obviously, we don't have a front plate on there.
Technically, unless you are military, you have 30 days after arriving to switch over to Texas tags. If you are military, you don't have to switch over although you can if so desired. But given the large military community in San Antonio, it is not uncommon to see tags from other states (and other countries) around town. I actually drove on Belgian tags for a while after returning from being stationed in that country; and US Army Europe tags when we came back from Germany before that.

But if you don't have an active military ID card, you may want to get those Texas tags on before you get caught!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Yeah, read the whole story behind the State v. Losoya case then judge for yourself.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-29-2009, 08:51 PM

165 posts, read 463,988 times
Quote:
Technically, unless you are military, you have 30 days after arriving to switch over to Texas tags. If you are military, you don't have to switch over although you can if so desired. But given the large military community in San Antonio, it is not uncommon to see tags from other states (and other countries) around town. I actually drove on Belgian tags for a while after returning from being stationed in that country; and US Army Europe tags when we came back from Germany before that.

But if you don't have an active military ID card, you may want to get those Texas tags on before you get caught!

Cheers! M2
Thanks. We are military. We will eventually switch on over to Texas but see no reason to until our current tags expire later in the year. Of course as soon as we do register here we'll probably get orders out... the PCS here was our 7th in 14 years.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:02 AM

135 posts, read 551,076 times
Quote:
Yeah, read the whole story behind the State v. Losoya case then judge for yourself.

Cheers! M2
...beating a dead horse...

from your link:

The apparent purpose of section 502.404(a) is to facilitate the identification of a motor vehicle by its license plate number whether it is moving toward or away from the viewer. While a place to display the license plate is usually found on the front bumper, the statute does not expressly require the use of this location. The display of the plate in some other place or manner is not inconsistent with the language or purpose of the statute. The officers testified that they could see the license plate in the windshield. We conclude that Losoya's display of his front license plate in the manner shown here did not violate section 502.404(a) as to give the officers grounds to reasonably suspect a violation of that statute.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 AM

139 posts, read 363,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesmic View Post
We just moved here from Kansas and they don't even give you two plates, let alone require two. So obviously, we don't have a front plate on there.
Is where we just moved from too, and why I also do not have a front plate!
Thanks M2! I guess I will be looking around for the bracket.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:

Cheers! M2
I'm pretty sure you don't have to change over if you're a full-time college student either. Kind of like how they don't have to update their drivers licenses either when they move but everyone else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio