Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The "official" unemployment rate doesn't count lots of people

Merrill Lynch Estimates Real Unemployment Rate at 13.9% | The Economic Populist
IF you want say the actual unemployment numbers are 14%, you are going to have to recognize that 95% is considered full employment.

As far as 14% numbers, BLS reports various degrees on unemployment, from strict to a more lax number like mentioned above.

IF there was actually 14% unemployment it would be obvious even to the most optimistic people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 PM

155 posts, read 373,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
People keep talking about the "foreclosure crisis" but isn't the number something like 1 in almost 500 homes are in foreclosure?

While that's still too many, that's VERY few homes compared to those paying their bills and doing things the right way. This "crisis" is being made out to be MUCH worse than it is by the talking heads on the news and in the government, who are USING this to get legislation passed that under normal circumstances most people would be calling them idiots for.

Instead they're now our "saviors".

It's not as bad as everyone is saying, people. 10 years from now we're going to look back and see how people have used this to systematically try to destroy our country.
Citibank and Bank of America are insolvent. I call that "bad".

We're paying the price for years of horrendous trade and budget deficits.

Is Obama exagerating the threat? Absolutely. Could his rhetoric be making things worse? You bet. But Obama is probably closer to reality than the years and years of NAR propaganda that helped lead to this crisis. Pure emotion inflated the housing market. Pure emotion is deflating it. Overnight, "I better buy a house before I can't afford one" changed to "I better sell my house before it loses value", which then changed to "I'm 50k under water. Who the heck did my mortgage get sold to so I can mail them the keys?!"

Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 PM
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWeatherman View Post
Citibank and Bank of America are insolvent. I call that "bad".

We're paying the price for years of horrendous trade and budget deficits.

Is Obama exagerating the threat? Absolutely. Could his rhetoric be making things worse? You bet. But Obama is probably closer to reality than the years and years of NAR propaganda that helped lead to this crisis. Pure emotion inflated the housing market. Pure emotion is deflating it. Overnight, "I better buy a house before I can't afford one" changed to "I better sell my house before it loses value", which then changed to "I'm 50k under water. Who the heck did my mortgage get sold to so I can mail them the keys?!"

The trade and budget deficits are not so bad. This was caused by the government pushing freddie and fannie to give more loans. They created the market for the risky loans.

Cheap loans and we got ourselves a nice bubble.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:38 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,747,049 times
An interesting article:

The Economy: Why it feels even worse - (1) - CNNMoney.com

Granted this is on a national level - but it plays into the mentality of our country right now.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 PM

43 posts, read 95,811 times
im not buying it

Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,827,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager674 View Post
im not buying it
No one's buying anything..that's part of the problem.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:29 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
I totally agree with you on that one FCF and I blame the media for it. I can't even stand to watch the news anymore because of all the lies and manipulations of words. I think people are hording money because they see all the doom and gloom on the news and of course they do not want to be a part of it. There are certain areas that are hurting (california, nevada, arizona, and florida hold over 50% of all foreclosures), but most of that can be attributed to greed and sheer stupidity.
My main worry about the housing market in SA is the influx of people from the above mentioned states. I would normally call them the retarded states, but I'm sure that's not acceptable. I worry that they will bring their greed and ignorance of financial reality with them and try to destroy our market too.

BTW, since I'm a big opponent of people posting incorrect opinions, here's who to blame for the current situation: Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending - New York Times They should be held 100% accountable and severely punished, instead of virtually reelected..

Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,747,049 times
More data that shows things are getting worse not better....

Economy shrinks most in 26 years (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/Economy_shrinks_at_worst_pace_in_25_years_.html - broken link)

It will be interesting to see how the housing market reacts to this news.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
More data that shows things are getting worse not better....

Economy shrinks most in 26 years (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/Economy_shrinks_at_worst_pace_in_25_years_.html - broken link)

It will be interesting to see how the housing market reacts to this news.
Actually economic leading indicators are starting to turn positive. And that is even before the government starts taking money out of our right hand, to give back to our left hand.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:34 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
I like that description of the "stimulus" cwh. Someone should draw a cartoon of obama pickpocketing a guy and then handing him his own cash. Just give me credit for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio