Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 12:06 AM

6 posts, read 50,735 times

Advertisements

Greetings all.

I'm considering moving to San Antonio from Houston in the not-so-distant future, provided an employment opportunity materializes. There are many things I want in a city as a whole, but several things I need in a place to live. I'll list those and maybe you all can tell me where I should start looking (or if I should stay in Houston!).

1. Commute to SwRI (I-10 and -410) and to UTSA (I-10 and 1604) not more than 30 minutes. (side note, anybody work at SwRI?)
2. Serviced by good (recognized or exemplary) schools (elementary). I've found so far NISD and NEISD.
3. Housing prices no more than $200k.
4. Preferably not cookie-cutter house filled neighborhoods with perfectly straight streets, etc. A little older and/or with plenty of trees would be great.
5. Reasonable crime rates. I don't want to deal with rif-raf.

Do any areas snap to mind?

If any from here are familiar with Houston, the neighborhoods like Meyerland/Heights/Bellaire/Oak Forest are sort of what I had in mind. Granted, many houses in these areas of Houston have prices well above $200k, but those are the representative areas I can think of.

Thanks in advance!

Erik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
My hubby interns at Swri (has for 3 yrs) and also attends UTSA. SWRI is closer to the 410/90 area then 10/410. We live at De Zavala and 10. On a good morning takes him about 20min to get to SWRI bad morning...well you are from Houston you know... There are going to be alot of houses in your price range on the NW side of town and I Would stick to this side, Almost anything NEISD is going to be a drive that is not far by HOU standands but its nice to make it shorter. You might try Northwest Crossing area, I am sure other folks can help you on that! What divison are you going into?

Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. This is very preliminary as far as actually getting a position, but it would be in the mechanical and fluids engineering area.

Sixty five views and only one reply? Come on now...y'all can do better than that!

Old 03-19-2007, 08:06 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
You might look at the Helotes area and even the newer Alamo Ranch area I don't think that those commutes would be to bad.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:30 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,551 times
Would you prefer to be inside or outside the 1604?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:33 PM

I think that inside the loop would be better, unless there are compelling reasons to live outside the loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: