Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:55 AM

191 posts, read 188,125 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about San Antonio or government Affordable Housing so any help would be appreciated. I am asking this on behalf of another member here who is a bit "shy" and a bit reluctant because of the sensitivity of their situation. Here goes:

Person is a low-income disabled person who currently lives in North Dakota. Has arthritis so the winters are unbearable and people there are more to themselves so help is challenging. Anyway, she has just qualified for a "Housing Program", for the disabled which accommodates low-income individuals, disabled and seniors. She says she has contacted persons for rentals there, but has not received positive results. She is looking to move to a better climate with friendly people and low cost of living. Since she had qualified for "low income housing" she has been shunned and looked down upon. She thought this was a good thing to have help with rental finances, but instead has made things worse. Anyway, she was looking into relocating to Texas because of weather and people acceptance, but doesn't know about the Housing here.
How is the acceptance of persons with this dilemma? She is concerned that because she is on a "government subsidized" housing this would be frowned upon and she would live in a crime ridden area due to it's stereotypical status of this type of housing.
I know nothing about subsidized housing programs, other than it helps people with the rent that cannot afford it.
Any info, suggestions etc. that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Default Section 8

I'm not sure I understand completely, but it seems like there are two issues going on here. One of financial need and one of negative social stigma. Unfortunately, to qualify for any "social services" one pretty much is at the mercy of the assisting agency. It's hard to keep private when it's publicly funded. I'm afraid she will find that challenge anywhere she moves. It's not easy accepting help, but when you have no other choice, survival takes precidence.

As far as assisted housing......check into Section 8 properties. I don't know the qualifying requirements, but Sec 8 covers a wide variety of needs. It does hold some negative stigma because often low income is equated to higher crime.....some valid stats for various reasons. But she might be surprised at where some of the Section 8 properties are. I have heard they are mixed in all over town.

She might want to start with calling an Apartment Locator service here and explain her situation. They handle all types of properties and income levels. If they can't help her, they may be able to point her in the right direction.

Best of luck to her in finding a new home that will meet her needs.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:52 PM

Thank you WCAT. Your post was so informative and gracious. Not sure how the San Antonio area is for it's over 55 persons, so more info on that would be great. You understood my post nicely and that is exactly what it going on. I feel for her, as she wants a safe, friendly place that would accommodate her both physical and financial needs. Are there alot of opportunities for affordable rentals in SA? She also would need transportation, as she is not able to drive anymore.
It is really tough to be in a situation where one has to rely on government. I did tell her once she finds a nice community that will accept her no matter what, her pride will be restored.
Any other ideas, options etc. would be great!

Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
You're very welcome SL62! Here is a short summary of section 8 housing subsidizing. It sounds as if availability varies in different cities. She would have to contact the local governing agency to find how long it would take to qualify and if and how long of a waiting list there might be.Hopefully a relocating service will know who to contact here in town.

The "tenant voucher" sounds like what would suit her best as it would not necessarily limit her to a certain property. Section 8 is not limited to apartment "communities", but can be applied to single family homes. The one thing that I did note is that property owners have the right to refuse acceptance of section 8 tenant vouchers.

BTW - Classified ads often say "Sec 8 ok" by these properties

Summary of the programCurrently, the two main Section 8 programs are tenant-based vouchers and project-based vouchers.

A Public Housing Authority can choose to project-base up to 25% of its total vouchers, meaning that the vouchers are linked to a particular apartment. Eligible families pay 30% of their income while living in the apartment, but cannot take that voucher with them to another complex or private residence.

Under the tenant-based program, eligible families with a certificate or voucher find and lease a unit in the private sector and pay a portion of the rent (based on income, generally around 30%). The local housing authority pays the owner the remaining rent, subject to a cap referred to as "Fair Market Rent" (FMR) which is determined by HUD. The owner cannot charge a Section 8 tenant more than FMR, even if the owner does so for non-Section 8 tenants in similar units.

One of the essential features of the tenant-based voucher is the idea of portability. Tenants can rent anywhere they choose, not limited to specific complexes. Eligible families may in theory move anywhere in the United States (and Puerto Rico) where there is a public housing authority operating a Section 8 program; however, in practice, some jurisdictions are unable or unwilling to take transferred vouchers, primarily due to the differences in the costs of program administration in different housing markets around the country.

In addition, landlords, though required to meet fair housing laws, are not required to participate in the Section 8 program. As a result, some landlords will not accept a Section 8 tenant, either as a result of not wanting the government involved in their business, or fear that a Section 8 tenant will not properly maintain the premises. However, other landlords willingly accept Section 8 tenants, due to the promise of prompt regular payments from the housing authority, and since a tenant under Section 8 can be removed from the program if s/he damages the rental unit or fails to pay his/her rent.

Whether voucher or project-based, all subsidized units must meet federal Housing Quality Standards, thus ensuring that the family has a healthy and safe place to live. This improvement in the housing stock is an important by-product of this program, both for the individual families and for the larger goal of community development.

In many localities, the waiting lists for Section 8 vouchers may be thousands of families long, waits of 3 to 5 years to access vouchers are not unusual, and many lists are closed to new applicants.

Families who participate in the program must abide by a series of rules and regulations, often referred to as "family obligations," in order to maintain their voucher, including accurately reporting all changes in household income so the amount of their subsidy can be updated accordingly. In recent years, the HUD Office of the Inspector General has spent more time and money on fraud detection and prevention.

Currently, there are no time limits for family participation in the program, though occasionally reform bills are introduced in Congress that suggest time limiting the program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_(housing)

Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
62, you may want to explore the San Antonio Housing Authority's webpage http://www.saha.org/. They have different communities around town that are affordable and government subsidized.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks again WCAT and SMUboy! Those were some helpful and key information for her to evaluate. I don't quite understand the subsidy detailing, but she can now contact SAHA to get some additional info.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 PM

69 posts, read 301,618 times
Don't know if you still need this but, They Built some Brand new Apts for Senior downtown San Antonio on the corner of Frio and Martin called Plaza del Sol (i think) but it's brand new. Accross from the Old Brady clinic the University Clinic Downtown and across also from BCAD and the Vista Verde Building. They go by low income and also accept Section 8.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 21,757 times
I just want to say as someone who is also disabled. There is a waiting list for SAHA and section 8 housing. Prelimitary housing applications are available on the SAHA website and they require a in person interview in order to get on the list. Most of the senior apartment complexes are in ok neighborhoods and can offer many additional extras you wouldn't get in a family complex. Also there is a program here for people once they get into public housing that helps with acquiring your own house so you won't need to be on public assistance anymore.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
I might suggest checking Austin, too. Very similar weather and a pretty friendly city. You might also check the nearby towns of San Marcos and New Braunfels. These are pleasant communities between San Antonio and Austin--safe and low cost of living. Folks there are modest, very casual, and easy going. However, these towns have no public transportation and limited hospital facilities.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 17,208 times
Default Plaza del Sol

My grandfather lived at these apartments and my mother's friends currently live here. They were terrific. They provided commodities (canned and dry goods) and an onsite lunch program and community center. They provided transportation to medical appointments and grocery stores. We were quite pleased with the complex. They accepted govt. assistance dollars for my grandfather and his wife. they had a nice 2 bedroom apartment overlooking a nice courtyard. It was completely gated with access remotes, near hospitals and restaurants... The cable company provided low-cost service to seniors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio