Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,287 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

We're new to the area and considering buying in the Estates of Lookout Canyon.

Is anyone familiar with the area that can offer any info about the neighborhood?? We're kind of in a crunch and need to make a decision pretty quickly.

Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 06:58 PM

51 posts, read 211,997 times
Hi.....The Estates at Lookout Canyon are apartments, I use to live there. If you are thinking of renting there, you should drive 281 at both rush hours...I am sure you will change your mind! If you are thinking of buying up there, same thing. Until they get the mess sorted out, it is not a very good time. Otherwise, the apartments are nice and they all have garages. The management is just ok.....Good luck.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:26 PM

actually i meant the wilshire homes just down the road from that apartment complex. i think the subdivision is called canyon creek. part of it is unnamed the other is "estates of lookout canyon creek".

noticed a lot of homes for sale and curious if there is a reason other than market pressure, bad mortgages, etc.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM

487 posts, read 1,117,489 times
Do you have children in middle school or high school? I almost sold a house out there but the distance to those two schools was a deal breaker. (about 15 miles) Other than that it's a very nice area. 281 traffic isn't great but if the Superstreet gets approved things will be better. Good luck to you.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 PM

Thanks so much for the response. We just have little ones right now, so the school issue isn't a deal breaker...

Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM

330 posts, read 936,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariMc View Post
actually i meant the wilshire homes just down the road from that apartment complex. i think the subdivision is called canyon creek. part of it is unnamed the other is "estates of lookout canyon creek".

noticed a lot of homes for sale and curious if there is a reason other than market pressure, bad mortgages, etc.

Those homes are very nice and we love this area except for the traffic ! They are in the process fo building a new strip mall down the block and you are near 281 and all the big stores ie Heb plus, super target Hobby lobby etc Good luck

Old 03-15-2009, 10:26 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,598,539 times
I live in lookout canyon - the crossing. Lots of homes for sale in this area generally, and I think the determining factors include commute and people who over purchased. The area itself is nice. Not too far from HEB, Home Depot, Walgreens etc. But there isn't really anything close either. The traffic can suck at times (rush hours), but if you don't have to be at work at 8 am on the dot (I go in around 830-845) the commute is bearable.

The schools is the ideal question. OF course, there is an elementary school here in the neighborhood, which is awesome - provided they have room for your kiddos. There are plans to do a middle school around borgfeld and 281 - which wil be very nice. But, until its done, the commute to get them to middle school is 15+ miles north - which means you will have to fight inbound traffic for an additional 15+ miles in. There are "express" buses which run out there now days - prior to this the kids were on the bus for more than an hour each way. This helps.

There are no real plans for another high school in the area. The school board kicks the idea around regularly, but can't seem to drum up enough support to get it pushed through. Too many of the "my kid has to be a "Ranger"" crowd to allow it to get split up.

There is a shopping center going in at the end of overlook parkway that may provide some easier access to life's necessities. However, there are no tenants in it yet, and there is no indication - firm - as to what will be in there.

If you have any specific questions, fire away. You can always dm me if you would rather.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:04 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,620 times
I live in the area as well.

The part that impresses me most about the area is the children. They regularly demonstrate responsible behavior.

I'm thinking the rowdy kids make the parents pull off the highway before they can even look at a house here.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariMc View Post

Did you end up buying a house in Canyon Creek by Wilshire homes, I am relocating there next month and considering building with them. Would appreciate any feedback on your experience, if so.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:25 AM

12 posts, read 25,770 times
Default Lookout Canyon/Canyon Springs/Estates at Stonegate

We are also looking at buying a house in the Lookout Canyon or Canyon Springs area. We lease a house in Canyon Springs right now and really like this area, but are concerned about the quality of the new homes (our Pulte home isn't terrible but does have some construction issues), plus the very small lots with little or no trees. We like Stonegate at Lookout Canyon for the mature trees in the yards but the homes are a little older, which is not a problem if the construction is good. Also, we just looked at the Estates at Stonegate (north of Overlook, off of 281) and although the homes are 20-25 years old, they have 1.5+ acres and the homes are gorgeous (we are focusing on the less expensive homes there!). Does anyone have any experiences/knowledge of The Estates at Stonegate or the Stonegate at Lookout Canyon developments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio