Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:33 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
with a comparison of other houses in my neighborhood and saying that I'm paying almost 20k more than I "should."
You aren't paying "20K more than you should". You may be paying taxes on 20K in value that BCAD has determined...but I highly doubt that you're actually paying 20K more in taxes. More like $400-$500 more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 09:36 AM

322 posts, read 774,910 times
haha, maybe I am neighbors with david robinson?!

just kidding, good catch, i'll fix it! besides correcting my word choice do you anything to add?

-- I guess I can't edit it the next day. doh!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
[quote=deek102;8945836] do you anything to add? ;-)

/QUOTE]

Yes, it has been rumored that once one uses the sale price to protest...it can be quite difficult to win a protest during the subsequent years. Also, folks have said that BCAD tries to jack you even higher during these years...I'm sure there are exceptions though.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer[/QUOTE

Yes, it has been rumored that once one uses the sale price to protest...it can be quite difficult to win a protest during the subsequent years. Also, folks have said that BCAD tries to jack you even higher during these years...I'm sure there are exceptions though.
BAD doesn't get mad when they have lower your appraisal...they just get even again, and again...

Their motto is payback is a .....

Old 05-24-2009, 07:32 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
Has anyone ever hired a company or individual to protest their Bexar county appraisal? BCAD didn't raise mine that badly this year, unlike years past, but I got a letter from a company out of Houston, O'Conner & Associates, with a comparison of other houses in my neighborhood and saying that I'm paying almost 20k more than I "should."

Has anyone used this particular company? If not, any recommendations? Also, I feel kind of guilty hiring this out... how does this stuff normally go over with BCAD?

The first year we lived in the house I did exactly what Bowie & sinsativ suggested -- took the sales record over there along with evidence of the amount of work I'd need to do to fix up the house.

This year I don't really have that option but if I can get my property taxes down you're dang right I want to! :-)

Quick responses are appreciated! I only have until May 31st to protest!

Thanks!
I just got a solicitation in the mail Saturday from the same Houston firm. Although my assessed value decreased slightly this year, they included some comparables in my neighborhood (all showing 2008 values) that show my property is assessed more per square foot than other comparables in my neighborhood.

It looks to be legit, and there is no fee if they cannot reduce your taxes (in fact, they'll send you a $50 gift card if they are unsuccessful). But in sending out the comparables on that spreadsheet, they just showed you their hand. Now you can take that info, obtain updated values from BCAD's website, and handle the protest yourself and save the commission. It all depends on whether you have the time (like taking a day off work) and inclination to handle the protest yourself.

One final note: Based on my observation in the past, even if you or your appointee are successful at winning a reduction this year, BCAD will likely jack the value back up next year as high or higher than they were proposing this year.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:18 PM

322 posts, read 774,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I just got a solicitation in the mail Saturday from the same Houston firm. Although my assessed value decreased slightly this year, they included some comparables in my neighborhood (all showing 2008 values) that show my property is assessed more per square foot than other comparables in my neighborhood.
Thanks for the reply. I got the same solicitation and I looked up the houses, using BCAD,they compared to mine. I don't think they are fair comparisons though. I think they're reaching... only 1 of the 5 has a pool -- and mine is brand spakin' new (3 yrs old).

Like you said though, it might be worth trying. I really doubt they'll get it cut down but maybe I'll get myself $50 worth of free gas!

I'm really curious about reputation of these solicitors and how the BCAD reacts to home owners hiring someone to hassle them about this stuff. If I worked for the county I probably wouldn't take kindly to'em!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM

36 posts, read 116,802 times
Thanks for reminding me! I just sent off my protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio