Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times

Advertisements

I would like to point out a really good post in the politics section. Nothing to do with politics, more with media treatment and lack of treatment for true heroes:
True Heroes

Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I was on a the USCGC Hamilton (Ham Bone) for almost three months in 1999 and I was impressed with them. Being Navy I never thought much of the CG, but that changed after my deployment. They were actually more "Navy" than most of us were and I found that interesting. Only problem with them was the size of their boats. The Hamilton was as big as they got at 378' and that's about the size of the LA class attack subs I was on

Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 AM

We always got Navy hand-me-downs. When I went through boot we had a fire engine that was from the 1920's and 1930's. I was on the Coast Guard Cutter Dexter for two months. Made a trip to Honolulu and Van Couver, BC. The Dexter was Navy and had served in WW2 in Italy. The ship was only about 230 feet ion length. I served in 1965 and not long after the ship was sunk and made into a reef in the Pacific.

During WW2, the CG were the guys manning the landing craft at Normandy and other beaches. We lost a lot of Coast Guardsmen that way.

Back when I served the uniforms were Navy issue. The only difference was a patch onb the sleeve that designated CG. Now, I believe, they have their own uniform.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Got this in my e-mail today and thought it was kinda cute..

Rules for the Non-Military

Dear Civilians,

We know that the current state of affairs in our great nation has many civilians up in arms and excited to join the military. For those of you who can't join, you can still lend a hand. Here are a few of the areas where we would like your assistance:

1. The next time you see any adults talking (or wearing a hat) during the playing of the National Anthem - kick their ass.

2. When you witness, firsthand, someone burning the American Flag in protest - kick their ass.

3. Regardless of the rank they held while they served, pay the highest amount of respect to all veterans. If you see anyone doing otherwise, quietly pull them aside and explain how these veterans fought for the very freedom they bask in every second. Enlighten them on the many sacrifices these veterans made to make this nation great. Then hold them down while a disabled veteran kicks their ass.

4. (GUYS) If you were never in the military, DO NOT pretend that you were. Wearing battle dress uniforms (BDUs) or Jungle Fatigues, telling others that you used to be 'Special Forces.' Collecting GI Joe memorabilia might have been okay when you were seven years old, now, it will only make you look stupid and get your ass kicked.

5. Next time you come across an Air Force member, do not ask them, 'Do you fly a jet?' Not everyone in the Air Force is a pilot. Such ignorance deserves an ass-kicking (children are exempt).

6. If you witness someone calling the US Coast Guard 'non-military', inform them of their mistake - and kick their ass.

7. Next time Old Glory (the US flag) prances by during a parade, get on your damn feet and pay homage to her by placing your hand over your heart. Quietly thank the military member or veteran lucky enough to be carrying her of course, failure to do either of those could earn you a severe ass-kicking.

8. Don't try to discuss politics with a military member or veteran. We are Americans, and we all bleed the same, regardless of our party affiliation. Our Chain of Command is to include our Commander-In-Chief (CinC). The President (for those who didn't know) is our CinC regardless of political party. We have no inside track on what happens inside those big important buildings where all those representatives meet. All we know is that when those civilian representatives screw up the situation, they call upon the military to go straighten it out. If you keep asking us the same stupid questions repeatedly, you will get your ass kicked.

9. 'Your mama wears combat boots' never made sense to me - stop saying it! If she did, she would most likely be a vet and therefore would kick your ass!

10. Bin Laden and the Taliban are not Communists, so stop saying 'Let's go kill those Commies!' And stop asking us where he is! Crystal balls are not standard issue in the military. That reminds me - if you see anyone calling those damn psychic phone numbers, let me know, so I can go kick their ass!

11. 'Flyboy' (Air Force), 'Jarhead' (Marines), 'Grunt' (Army), 'Squid' (Navy), 'Puddle Jumpers' (Coast Guard), etc., are terms of endearment we use describing each other. Unless you are a service member or vet, you have not earned the right to use them. Using them could get your ass kicked.

12. If you ever see anyone either standing for or singing the national anthem in Spanish – Kick their ass.

13. Last, but not least, whether or not you become a member of the military, support our troops and their families. Every Thanksgiving and religious holiday that you enjoy with family and friends, please remember that there are literally thousands of soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen far from home wishing they could be with their families. Thank God for our military and the sacrifices they make every day. Without them, our country would get its ass kicked."

It is the Veteran, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press.

It is the Veteran, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.

It is the Veteran, not the community organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Military who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

This is totally offensive. I hope that most military personell respect and consider poets, community organizers, journalists, etc. as much as members of the military wish to be respected and considered.

In addition, I see people doing things that go against my own morals work related and otherwise every-single-day and I do not feel compelled to "kick their ass". The inclination towards violence, especially by those who are armed, is even scary.

If an email like this about my job/profession was floating around I would be so sad.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Military people are some of the most respectful people you'll find on this earth. They fight and die so YOU can say what you want. Some people actually might find what you say/do to be offensive, but it's your RIGHT to say and do these things.

Don't be sad. You should be thanking a military member for your freedom to spew.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
rd....it's for you.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
rd....it's for you.
How DID she find him here? LOL!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
ROFLMAO!!! She is DEFINITELY here for you, rd!!!!

(That was one of the funniest things I've seen on here in a long time! Had to copy it for future prosperity! )

Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Military people are some of the most respectful people you'll find on this earth. They fight and die so YOU can say what you want. Some people actually might find what you say/do to be offensive, but it's your RIGHT to say and do these things.

Don't be sad. You should be thanking a military member for your freedom to spew.
Sapphire, I'm glad you said it first. I was trying to reply but my keyboard battery died and I wasn't sure what the? When I noticed that it wasn't working for email either, I caught on and recharged my battery. I thought C-D was mad at me.
I know that RD was saying that people should respect the military. Please read the post I made with a reference to two military heroes who also died in June and not one word was mentioned in the media, instead we got all this hype on MJ.
True Heroes

Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
Put the torches away. I was not rude, did not criticize the military, rd or any of you. I stated that the email was offensive to me; specifically the mention of violence and the suggestion that other members of society otherwise have 'nothing' of value to offer becuase they don't save lives or perhaps literally fight for the rights of our society. I found the overall tone of the email to be sad. Relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio