Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Could be Mud. I do a google look at it. Great phone book listings. Pays to save them old trees. Jordan Ivers at the future Rosario's location. Think it was you that showed us a nice pic of it earlier. Wonder if Jordan part of the franchise was same Jordan we know today. Which was once located just a couple blocks further north on St.Mary's. Winerich Motor Sales at Third and Broadway puts it at the old Trailways bus terminal. I knew Bob Lee that ran Trailways here.

Tindall and Sons Pontiac is another oldie that comes to mind. Not as old as the ones you list though.

Just googled it Mud...that's the building! That's bound to have been a car dealership unless it was just parking for tenants below. I've been all over up stairs when it was apartments or could have been offices I forget. Maybe 20-30 years ago. Thanks for finding it! Great looking old building. I see they fenced in the lower area.

Or of course it could have been the Witherspoon Oil building.
My father was good friends with Henry Tindall, one of the "sons" of Tindall and Sons. Their dealership was on San Pedro where Absolutely Catering is located now. They moved their dealership out to Boerne in the early 90's. I think they sold it around 2000 or a little earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
@SATX56-- you beat me to the punch--yes it was Otto Dukes.... Now before my time I was told by a longtime Sherman's employee that the building was once used as an auto dealership. On several occasions I got to 'go upstairs' into their warehouse and it clearly had an indoor parking garage, complete with level to level wrap around ramps. They used to use a cannibalized VW flatbed to haul inventory from floor to floor.
I miss Sherman's too and later Electrotex at IH-10 and Hildebrand. Good sources to feed my radio hobby.
Otto Dukes is still around, its located on San Pedro about a block north of 35. I drove by it recently.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
detail from my old map.........

I work just a few blocks from that location, I may swing by the area on my way home today...

Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Otto Dukes is still around, its located on San Pedro about a block north of 35.

I drove by it recently.
what's recently??

they closed shop a few months back. probably 5-6.

there was an auction, bought a few items.........

Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
My father was good friends with Henry Tindall, one of the "sons" of Tindall and Sons. Their dealership was on San Pedro where Absolutely Catering is located now. They moved their dealership out to Boerne in the early 90's. I think they sold it around 2000 or a little earlier.
Didn't know that GW. Was the catering place there since the 80's maybe under different name? I recall renting tables and such for a party early 80's from a place there on San Pedro. Aladdin maybe?
Superior had the big Indian I guess. Is the Indian still on w Loop 410?
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
what's recently??

they closed shop a few months back. probably 5-6.

there was an auction, bought a few items.........
Bet they had some great power tools.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM

With all the hoopla around the Pearl Brewery... I may as well say something about the Pearl Wranglers and Adolph Hofner.

Adolph Hofner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is where he lived for many, many, years....

google maps san antonio - Google Maps

I wasn't a fan but lived a couple blocks away as a child. Been in the house in later years and met the man and his family. He used to park the old Tour bus in the alley. Met his brother also he lived over Highlands area.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Adolph was a truly kind and friendly soul - he used to come into our store in Leon Valley, always with a smile and a joke. Lots of the local country talent received encouragement and mentoring from him.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 PM

Yep, seemed like good down to earth folks. His daughter went to High School same time I was there. There was another band that traveled around in a Lone Star Beer bus. Used to be on Hart Ave near Mission Rd. back in the 60's and 70's. Both those buses ...Pearl and Lone Star were oldies.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
With all the hoopla around the Pearl Brewery... I may as well say something about the Pearl Wranglers and Adolph Hofner.

Adolph Hofner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is where he lived for many, many, years....

google maps san antonio - Google Maps

I wasn't a fan but lived a couple blocks away as a child. Been in the house in later years and met the man and his family. He used to park the old Tour bus in the alley. Met his brother also he lived over Highlands area.
Here ya go Dave...

Adloph Hofner - Westphalia Waltz.wmv - YouTube

Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Gee thanks Fred! LOL! That's 'ol Adolph always a smile and that debonair hair. Darn an Austin Gig. That was probably when the haze still hung over the city. Oh still does.. I really didn't mind the music as long as they left out the accordion crap. You know there's a Dave Hofner that plays crazy good piano for Michael Martin Murphy and others. Always wondered if they're related. Here's Dave Hofner on the piano.

Michael Martin Murphey - "Carolina in the Pines" - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio