Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,811 times

Advertisements

When my brother enlisted in the Marines in 1966, I remember all of us going to eat lunch at a restaurant here in San Antonio. I thought it may have been a Luby's. Anyway, it looked out over a lake as I recall.

Does anyone recollect such a restaurant? I always thought it was near Woodlawn Lake, but it has been so many years (and I was only 12 at the time), I just do not remember...

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Marathoner View Post
When my brother enlisted in the Marines in 1966, I remember all of us going to eat lunch at a restaurant here in San Antonio. I thought it may have been a Luby's. Anyway, it looked out over a lake as I recall.

Does anyone recollect such a restaurant? I always thought it was near Woodlawn Lake, but it has been so many years (and I was only 12 at the time), I just do not remember...

The only other lake that comes to mind is Lady of the Lake.
I lived for a spell near the Lady of the Lake area around West Commerce.
I was too young to recall the restaurants.
Perhaps someone here can provide more information.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:39 AM

108 posts, read 119,521 times
Maybe it was Black Swan Inn and he just thought Salado Creek was a lake or part of one

Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Marathoner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
The only other lake that comes to mind is Lady of the Lake.
I lived for a spell near the Lady of the Lake area around West Commerce.
I was too young to recall the restaurants.
Perhaps someone here can provide more information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredandRetired View Post
Maybe it was Black Swan Inn and he just thought Salado Creek was a lake or part of one
I doubt it would have been Woodlawn Lake, as the surrounding area is mostly residential. I can't imagine anything at or around the Black Swan Inn that would have been like a Luby's or Wyatt's (the two dominant cafeteria chains in San Antonio at that time).

Elmendorf Lake, near OLL, could be a possibility. There are some commercial properties, especially along Commerce Street, where there could have been a cafeterial/restaurant with a view of the lake.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:26 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I doubt it would have been Woodlawn Lake, as the surrounding area is mostly residential. I can't imagine anything at or around the Black Swan Inn that would have been like a Luby's or Wyatt's (the two dominant cafeteria chains in San Antonio at that time).

Elmendorf Lake, near OLL, could be a possibility. There are some commercial properties, especially along Commerce Street, where there could have been a cafeterial/restaurant with a view of the lake.
I never knew it was called Elmendorf lake. Thanks.
Passing by the other day, I have noticed many changes in the area.
Cafes & shops no longer exist except in my fading memories.

I vaguely remember when the front of Mi Tierra restaurant facing towards the North was a street
with traffic. The market square had fresh produce from the farm trucks parked there.
I feel old for some reason...

Last edited by ranchodrive; 02-05-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 02:45 PM

62 posts, read 149,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Do you remember the Wolf & Marx Store at the corner of Soledad & Houston St.?

That was the location where James Bowie lived when he was married.
You’re probably too young to remember this.
No. Where the Rand (Wolff & Marx) Building is was the Garza Homestead & Mint. Across Soledad was the Veramendi Palace where Bowie's wife's family lived. His wife was Ursula Veramendi. She died in 1832.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
gone butt not forgotten -

the Wet and Wild

on N Main

listening to the J Geils Band tonight

can't help butt remember the strippers loved to flop em around to the geils boys

Old 03-31-2016, 08:21 PM

108 posts, read 119,521 times
[quote=*mud*;43556783].
gone butt not forgotten -

the Wet and Wild

on N Main

listening to the J Geils Band tonight

can't help butt remember the strippers loved to flop em around to the geils boys
.[/QUOTE
Wasn't the Wet and Wild on West ave near Blanco? I grew up in that neighborhood. Wasn't it called a lot of other names like Wild fire? Remember Crazy Darrells? How about Knot Hole Saloon? Peppermint Palace on San Pedro? I always liked Jerry Jeff Walker. I used to go see him at Cheatem street warehouse in San Marcos . My sisters were going to college there. It totally messed up their life but they are unaware of anything.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
I think you'll find the Wet & Wild on N Main right at Crockett Park. I dated a stripper from there for a while but the ride was too rough for me. I seriously doubt she lived over the huge amount of drugs. That's not my kinda party. Her nickname was Cadillac for those with a better memory than mine.
The Peppermint was built and owned by Jerry Collins. He sold it, got a bunch of acreage for free in the Outback and moved to Oz. He was there maybe 5 years when I ran into him again. Seems life is hard with no electricity and the closest gas station is over 150 miles away as is the grocery store. He had lots of stories though.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:18 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredandRetired View Post

Wasn't the Wet and Wild on West ave near Blanco?
I'm guessing you meant near Basse.

if so, you're probably thinking of The Doll House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I think you'll find the Wet & Wild on N Main right at Crockett Park.
snip
The Peppermint was built and owned by Jerry Collins.
snip
Wet & Wild was a dirty little hole in the wall.

The Peppermint was a rung or two up the ladder.

a friend of mine was driving by The Peppermint when it was being bulldozed.

he saw one of the signs sticking out of a dumpster.

so he grabbed it, and it hangs in his Roadhouse now.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio