Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:19 PM

251 posts, read 1,066,333 times

Advertisements

I was there for three days. A short visit, but that was enough. I have decided not to move there at this time. Below are some random thoughts... not all complete sentences. Please bare with me. LOL

I stayed in a hotel just north of the airport, near 281 and 1604. Traffic was a nightmare all day long. Anytime I went out, I was fighting traffic. Access roads are nice, but unless you're familiar with where things are, you spend an extra twenty minutes using the turnarounds to get back where you want to go. And if people didn't let you over, you had to play the turnaround game again.

Also, the road signage was horrible, especially on the access roads. There were few signs announcing that a turnaround was approaching, or the lane you were on was actually taking you back onto 281 (for example). Sure, there were signs, but by the time you saw them, or were at them, it was too late to change lanes.

As I traveled away from that area, moving towards downtown, and basically further south, I found the traffic and congestion to be the same. And again, this was at all times. I also took 410 to the east side of the city and it was more of the same. Traveling to the part of 410 around Dave and Busters where construction was worst was frightening. Quick, unannounced exits was, in my opinion, very dangerous. Not only did I have to often double back to try making an exit again, but those familiar with the roads darting across several lanes to make the exit caused several near accidents. I actually had to go back to the hotel and print of directions on how to get to Dave and Busters because I couldn't for the life of me figure out which exit and roads to take to get there.

Traffic on the west and south sides was much better, as that area is fairly undeveloped.

I lived in Orange County, CA (Irvine/Tustin area) for awhile and would trade the traffic there for SA anytime. I currently live in Sarasota, Florida, where during the winter the population seems to double with the number of snowbirds visiting. There are not only more drivers on the road, but also those who have, shall we say, slower reaction times and limited visibility. Again, I would rather drive here than SA.

As for the businesses and attractions, I found the city to be very clean and safe. I went to the Rivercenter Mall and walked around the Alamo. Very much a tourist attraction, but the area was again clean and safe. I visited a few other businesses (shopping and the like) and had great experiences.

As mentioned in this forum many and many times, SA residents are very laid back and friendly. If it wasn't for the people that I encountered and the awesome hotel staff, I would have probably paid the penalties and drove back to Florida instead of waiting to fly out on Saturday morning.

Oh, and not to boost n0vember's ego, but Stone Oak was awesome. It was like a completely different world. I went from flat SA to large rolling hills, beautiful homes and buildings/businesses. It is more of an upscale area, much closer to what I’m use to in Sarasota and the OC. I previously owned a business that I think would thrive in Stone Oak and related areas. I just don’t know if being that close to SA would satisfy me.

Overall, I want to thank all the members of the City-Data San Antonio forum for the great information that they provided to me prior to my visit. They provided good and mostly accurate information.

Take care,

Chimp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 04:31 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,326 times
Glad to hear an outsider's opinion.

It's like I have been saying all along. There is San Antonio, then there is Stone Oak. Do not get the two confused...

Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,778 times
I don't blame you on not wanting to come to SA. It's a nice city, but I think for some of us younger members, it's just too slow and too simple (minded).

As for the roads and traffic situation, I told ya so. SA's infrastructure is completely disorganized, and the roadways here cannot handle the traffic. I'm gald someone else noticed the suicide exits on 410, and how dangerous they are, with NO signage indicating how sharp they are--I too have had a few near accidents.

As for Stone Oak, I think it is nice but a completely different world? It's not THAT nice. I have yet to see any true mansions like those in The Dominion in SO. I know there is some money there but it's not THAT great.

So Chimpie, let me ask you something--was it the roads alone that led you away from SA? Because if it was, I can see why.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
Chimpie, sorry you had to spend all of that money to find out what SA is like. I know that firsthand experience is the only way to figure out if it's right for you, but it's still a disappointment when it doesn't work out.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I envy Chimpie!!! I wish we would have noticed the traffic and took it into consideration before moving here. We were just completely jaded by the housing prices. I too would take LA/OC traffic ANY DAY over SA traffic!!! I am so happy to be moving back home on June 1st!!! I can't wait!!! (I know you guys probably can't wait for me to leave!)

Old 04-17-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I can't wait!!! (I know you guys probably can't wait for me to leave!)
Not really...

It will be sad to see one of the few people with class, dignity, and intelligence in this city leave.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,212 times
Evidently, Chimpie didn't drive on Stone Oak Blvd, or anywhere near Stone Oak during rush hour because that place has the worst traffic (IMHO) in the city. It's impossible to get anywhere quickly on SOB (how appropriate), and all the Stone Oak-ites waiting till the last second to get over to exit from 1604 makes that road a mess every day.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 PM

Yeah TT. You live in The Dominion right?

And November, where are the biggest mansions in SO?

Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
Yeah TT. You live in The Dominion right?

And November, where are the biggest mansions in SO?
It is not about having the biggest mansion.

Stone Oak is about having a place to have a good sized house and a safe area with lots of businesses and stores accessible to make it convenient to raise a family and make a true home.

Stone Oak is not all about having a 3 million dollar home. It is about living surrounded by hardworking people that share the same common interest in you and are willing to take care of what they have worked for.

Stone Oak is a community full of middle-upper class families that enjoy living in a safe neighborhood where they do not have to worry about gang activity and shootings.

I think Stone Oak is an amazing community and that is why it is such a popular place.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:13 PM

I never said it wasn't. And comparatively speaking, SO is much nicer than other parts of SA--even Alamo Heights if you prefer new construction.

But yeah, it's classy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio