Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:42 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,864,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bre8player8 View Post
All you have to be a commissioned officer in TX is to be 18 years or older you have to be 21 to buy a hand gun, all he needs to do is go to the gun store and fill out a back ground check and have someone 21 years or older buy the gun. U.S Security will not work someone commissioned under the age of 25
Unless that person is their parent/guardian, that's a good way to be facing charges for making a straw purchase!

The son can LEGALLY purchase from an individual at the age of 18, just not from a licensed dealer. We let 'em die for our country at 18, but heaven forbid they can defend themselves.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:00 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,801,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Unless that person is their parent/guardian, that's a good way to be facing charges for making a straw purchase!

The son can LEGALLY purchase from an individual at the age of 18, just not from a licensed dealer. We let 'em die for our country at 18, but heaven forbid they can defend themselves.....
Is this is a state law preventing those under 21 from buying handguns?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,929,073 times
I'm sure anyone who was looking at this thread has already found a job. They've probably been through several, if they're doing security. But in case anyone is still looking...

Someone mentioned Citywide above...my husband worked for them in 2000 and they required overtime but said they were exempt from paying time and a half for it. I don't know if they're still doing that but it wasn't legal. We were too young and dumb to know better back then but he worked at least 20 hours a week of overtime at straight pay.

Armored car work is a good thing to be able to put on your resume. The hours are usually long and the work can be a lot more physical effort than most security jobs. They pay about $12 an hour and you have to be able to pass a DOT physical.

The real goal when you're doing security is to find a nice cushy in-house position, with good benefits and a nice work environment. And preferably not for a nonprofit because security is the first thing they downsize when they run out of funding.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,499,525 times
AllianceData often hires in-house. I think they call their security guards safety officers or safety security officers. I saw an ad that said they're paying $12.50.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:12 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,022,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Is this is a state law preventing those under 21 from buying handguns?
Federal law (18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)) for licensed firearms dealers...

"Under the Gun Control Act of 1968, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement."

Source: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/lic...-business.html

Old 09-19-2014, 08:57 AM

733 posts, read 1,049,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwallace_85 View Post
Have him come in to Citywide Inv. and Sec. located at 6008 Grissom Rd, SA, TX 78238. (210) 681-8268. Office is open from 9am-4pm.
oh hell NO dont go to these jerks! they tried to withhold a check from me because when i (stupidly) used to work for them i had to use the bathroom, and the job site i was on didnt have one, meaning we had to go down the road to the gas station.

supervisor and job site owners ended up checking on me then (was a bad bathroom break) and since i wasnt there, i was canned. thankfully, i was canned in person when i got back (they were still there trying to find me). supervisor blamed me for not calling in on radio or cell. i retorted with 'you stupid sack of sh*t, your phone is OFF and your radio ISNT WORKING'. i proved this by calling him and his phone didnt ring, went straight to voicemail.

still canned.

so payday rolls around, they want me to sign some form (you dont have to sign **** btw) before they would release my paycheck. i told them to f*ck off and give me my check. they refused. i had to contact TWC and file suit against them. they ended up getting fined because of it and the old tard who handled payroll was supposedly fired.

DO NOT WORK THERE unless you want to work for people who break the law all the time. TWC ruled in my favor. i got my check 3 months later AND vacation time they tried to deny AND i got unemployment off of them.

jerks.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bre8player8 View Post
The best paying security company in san antonio is ALLIED BARTON, i think who ever is doing the heb contract is paying 13.00 an hour on a commissioned card. It cost a lot of money to be a level three officer the course for the commission is about 150.00 to 175.00 depends on which company you go with. Dont forget the 85.00 fee for your card not to mention buying a handgun which ranges from 500.00 to 600.00 dollars did i forget the gun belt a level three holster and hollow points which range from 45.00 to 52.00 dollars. Buy time it is said and done you will spend 800.00 to 1000.00 dollars to be commissioned.
this is actually true. they have contracts with CPS energy (maybe, last i heard they may have lost that one). they pay on time, and usually have tons of work available.

however allied barton has a bigot/racist working in the hiring dept and likes to say 'we dont need people like you here' when you dont fit the description. he never clarified what that ment, but since he said that, hes still working the same dead end job while myself and my wife have both surpassed the pay he is making

Old 09-19-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm sure anyone who was looking at this thread has already found a job. They've probably been through several, if they're doing security. But in case anyone is still looking...

Someone mentioned Citywide above...my husband worked for them in 2000 and they required overtime but said they were exempt from paying time and a half for it. I don't know if they're still doing that but it wasn't legal. We were too young and dumb to know better back then but he worked at least 20 hours a week of overtime at straight pay.

Armored car work is a good thing to be able to put on your resume. The hours are usually long and the work can be a lot more physical effort than most security jobs. They pay about $12 an hour and you have to be able to pass a DOT physical.

The real goal when you're doing security is to find a nice cushy in-house position, with good benefits and a nice work environment. And preferably not for a nonprofit because security is the first thing they downsize when they run out of funding.
this is a flat out lie by citywide. legally, ANYTHING after 40 hours (unless salaried) MUST be paid 1.5x base pay. this is a federal law. yes, i got them in **** for this when they tried to refuse to pay me overtime. i had to get texas workforce involved.

as for your final point, someone im very close with started at allied, and now that person works for the county police with the absolute best healthcare plan in texas, a personal 401k, a government pension and tons of sick/vacation pay.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:01 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,929,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
this is a flat out lie by citywide. legally, ANYTHING after 40 hours (unless salaried) MUST be paid 1.5x base pay. this is a federal law. yes, i got them in **** for this when they tried to refuse to pay me overtime. i had to get texas workforce involved.
It's not unheard of in security work though and it's something to watch out for...some of the armored car companies do the same thing and say it's because their employees are considered truck drivers. There's a class action suit going on against one of the bigger armored car companies right now because of it.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:27 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,801,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Federal law (18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)) for licensed firearms dealers...

"Under the Gun Control Act of 1968, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement."

Source: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/lic...-business.html
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio