Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM

21 posts, read 60,486 times

Advertisements

I was taking the long Bandera Road exit off of Loop 410 driving behind a gray car with a man who must have thought that the four car lenghts that I already had between him and me was not enough because he was waving is hands all over the place and screaming and whipping his head around. I really thought he was going to a heart attack. I had been coasting along (not pressing the gas) since the exit began because I could see how slow he was going (only 40 mph on the entire exit). He decided that still was not enough room and slammed on his brakes on the single lane exit. I had no problem stopping in time, however the car behind me was swerving all over the place. The man who slammed on the brakes was an idiot and a danger to all drivers. I had been told years ago, when I moved to San Antonio, that people were afraid of the roads that went too high and this is the only reason I can imange that this man was so freaked and thought he would fly off the road and be airborne, but if this is true why drive it? There is another Bandera exit that does not go high into the air.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Default BIG Trucks Blowing Horns While Going Through Red Lights

As the title says, I have been seeing this more often. Today I saw a cement truck lay on its horn about 50 feet back from the intersection (Loop 1604 South) as it drove through the red light. I realize that the truck is carrying a lot of weight and it's hard to stop, but this truck was obviously speeding in the first place. One of these days someone is not going to hear the horn and get creamed in the intersection. You're supposed to yield to a vehicle already "IN" the intersection when you have a green light, but that does not apply to someone who is way back from the intersection when the light turns red.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:11 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I nominate myself today, preemptively. First, I'll stop and get coffee, and do you know how hard it is to drink that hot stuff while texting, without dropping my Chic-Fil-A nugget of morning goodness? I mean, srsly. My left blinker is broken, which is only a problem like 3 times on the way in.....but smooth sailin' on the way home! But then I always forget to use the right one. Anyway, where's my prize????

Old 10-08-2009, 05:40 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I nominate myself today, preemptively. First, I'll stop and get coffee, and do you know how hard it is to drink that hot stuff while texting, without dropping my Chic-Fil-A nugget of morning goodness? I mean, srsly. My left blinker is broken, which is only a problem like 3 times on the way in.....but smooth sailin' on the way home! But then I always forget to use the right one. Anyway, where's my prize????
hahaha you're hillarious Saph!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:35 AM

247 posts, read 843,785 times
Mine goes to the idiot in the tan suburban looking vehicle with the gigantic Marine Corps Eagle, Globe and Anchor on his back window, that wouldn't let me over even when he saw my blinkers on and that I was being forced to merge when my lane was ending on Huebner over the weekend. Such a proud moment for a retired Marine, force a lady to slam her brakes on only to meet up with me at the traffic light, yes that was my finger you saw.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdsmom View Post
my lane was ending on Huebner over the weekend. .
Lanes get weekends off? holidays too?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
As the title says, I have been seeing this more often. Today I saw a cement truck lay on its horn about 50 feet back from the intersection (Loop 1604 South) as it drove through the red light. I realize that the truck is carrying a lot of weight and it's hard to stop, but this truck was obviously speeding in the first place. One of these days someone is not going to hear the horn and get creamed in the intersection. You're supposed to yield to a vehicle already "IN" the intersection when you have a green light, but that does not apply to someone who is way back from the intersection when the light turns red.
Are you saying that someone is going to have a hard time hearing a 150db horn? Are you serious?

Cement Trucks are the hardest to stop! if he's blowing his horn, it doesnt matter if hes doing 60 in a 40! Its a way for him to let you know that he's not gonna stop, and its up to you to decide if you want to live to tell bout it or not. Because the first thing that Accident investigators are going to ask you is... well obvious isnt it?

Although you are right they give anybody a CDL theese days, and Cement Companies hire drivers right out of Flipping burgers, so my best advice is stay away from them, Remember the Drum driver that flipped when he was trying to avoid getting stung by a bee? he flipped over on Loop 1604, and you know what the messed up thing is? He had His license for TWO DAYS!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
oh my gooosh. My nominee for the day is the nasty guy in the early 200s Dodge Ram. Today, I'm minding my own business, jamming out to Amy Winehouse on my way home. I was right in front of the De Zavala/ Silicon light in a line of cars (probably about four cars). Off to the left of me decided they didn't want to turn left on to Silicon anymore so they just slightly pulled over in to my lane. I honked like hell. No signal no nothing. He would have hit me pretty hard on the driver's side had I not honked at him.

I kept going... a bit shaken I could feel the truck coming up next to me (not any of the cars behind me!). It was so uncalled for. A slight flipping off would be appropriate for the guy and for me...but my lane was stopped (the left lane that always slows down because the lane goes down from 2 to 1 after the post office...) anyway..the guy stops in the empty lane next to me and starts yelling me. I have no idea what he was saying to me because after he flipped me off i stopped looking at him afraid he may shoot me or something. So uncalled for and not something I would have thought would have happened by my house!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Are you saying that someone is going to have a hard time hearing a 150db horn? Are you serious?

Cement Trucks are the hardest to stop! if he's blowing his horn, it doesnt matter if hes doing 60 in a 40! Its a way for him to let you know that he's not gonna stop, and its up to you to decide if you want to live to tell bout it or not. Because the first thing that Accident investigators are going to ask you is... well obvious isnt it?

Although you are right they give anybody a CDL theese days, and Cement Companies hire drivers right out of Flipping burgers, so my best advice is stay away from them, Remember the Drum driver that flipped when he was trying to avoid getting stung by a bee? he flipped over on Loop 1604, and you know what the messed up thing is? He had His license for TWO DAYS!
I've been driving for more than 40 years, from motorcycles to large fuel trucks, both here and overseas. And I'm WELL aware why he is blowing his horn. My point is that this situation is getting worse. I have seen thousands of cement trucks and they obeyed the traffic laws. However, this is getting out of hand the last couple of years. Just because you have a big rig it doesn't give you the right to run red lights.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I've been driving for more than 40 years, from motorcycles to large fuel trucks, both here and overseas. And I'm WELL aware why he is blowing his horn. My point is that this situation is getting worse. I have seen thousands of cement trucks and they obeyed the traffic laws. However, this is getting out of hand the last couple of years. Just because you have a big rig it doesn't give you the right to run red lights.
Cement Companies have been hiring people with no experience, Their Rates are almost slave cheap, causing harsh competition.

What Cement company was it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio