Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times

Advertisements

It's not negative to tell someone it's hot here. The word you're looking for is.....um....wait for it..........HONEST. Sheesh. It's hot here. That's definitely not a negative to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 AM

52 posts, read 126,037 times
I'm with you M2. I have traveled all over the world, I still think Texas is the greatest place on earth. I would certainly prefer to live there than anywhere else. There are all sorts of great places to visit in the world. I have loved all the travel I have done, but at the end of the day I want to come home to Texas.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
It only seems that way because it's not what some folks want to hear. Sort of like scratching on a chalkboard. Most of the time the writing is smooth, but every once in a while the chalk makes a screeching sound and that's what people hear.
I can't agree that Texas is the greatest place on earth, just can't. It's definitely not for me.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Glad you read my comments, I stated that it wasn't for everyone; but you can't argue that the vast majority of people who live in or visit San Antonio like it here!

And I bet if you look at the forums for the northern cities on here, you will find a lot more people complaining about the cold, wet, dreary winters!

Seriously, it is southcentral Texas...what were you expecting weather-wise?!?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Just leave it alone please. It's my opinion and you won't change it, no matter how many highlights you use. Most may be indeed happy, but we're not, not even close. I'm not talking about most, just me. Capiche? Just me.
You can have the last word, as I'm sure you would like.

It's not the weather, trust me.

I'm out. Have a great day.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
The most important thing in threads like this is not to be right, but to be helpful. Folks who post here with the prospect of relocating are looking for opinions. Posting your opinion is helpful. Trashing opinions that disagree is not helpful. If the opinions disagree, the OP can ask clarifying questions or use opinions acquired elsewhere to sort that out for themselves. Please try harder to be helpful.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 AM

I agree. There is no right or wrong. I offered my opinion of SA simply because I relocated from the same general area as the OP only 2 years ago. Of course, the OP is free to DM me any questions they may have...as well as post any questions here.
Gotta run now.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
To the OP, San Antonio is a popular destination not only for tourists but also those who look to relocate here. The vast majority of those who visit or move to SA are happy they did, it has a relatively low cost of living and a strong economy based mainly in the military, tourism and medical areas (but others as well). But note this is southcentral Texas and the climate is one of very hot summers and usually mild winters.

There is a lot to do in this area as evident by the number of tourist attractions (which are not only for tourists) and the Texas Hill Country. It is easy to enjoy an active lifestyle here, but you do have to make provisions for any outdoor activities during the summer months.

Moving to an unknown location is always stressful, I've did it constantly as a child and adult thanks to the military; and the majority of my moves were overseas. Granted, one aspect was taking care of, I already had a "job:" but living in a new location always causes angst and even moreso when you going to a country where you speak little if any of the language.

However, San Antonio is a wonderful town with plenty of opportunity. While it may not suit everyone, the vast majority of those who move or even just visit here end up liking it a lot. Hopefully this will be your case, and with the right attitude your experience will be as positive as ours has been!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Keep in mind that is completely different to visit a city on vacation than living in that city.
Maybe the best example of that is San Francisco, amazing city to visit, but good luck finding a house that anybody can afford.
Agree. Visiting a city is a different experience than living in one. Be sure to check out different parts of the city. The typical tourist spots in town (Riverwalk, downtown, Sea World, etc.) will look and feel very different than majority of the city which to me looks run-down except for most everything along 1604 and north of it.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
To the OP, San Antonio is a popular destination not only for tourists but also those who look to relocate here. The vast majority of those who visit or move to SA are happy they did, it has a relatively low cost of living and a strong economy based mainly in the military, tourism and medical areas (but others as well). But note this is southcentral Texas and the climate is one of very hot summers and usually mild winters.

There is a lot to do in this area as evident by the number of tourist attractions (which are not only for tourists) and the Texas Hill Country. It is easy to enjoy an active lifestyle here, but you do have to make provisions for any outdoor activities during the summer months.

Moving to an unknown location is always stressful, I've did it constantly as a child and adult thanks to the military; and the majority of my moves were overseas. Granted, one aspect was taking care of, I already had a "job:" but living in a new location always causes angst and even moreso when you going to a country where you speak little if any of the language.

However, San Antonio is a wonderful town with plenty of opportunity. While it may not suit everyone, the vast majority of those who move or even just visit here end up liking it a lot. Hopefully this will be your case, and with the right attitude your experience will be as positive as ours has been!

Cheers! M2
While I definitely have a different opinion of SA than this poster, this post was well thought out and said. I hope the OP has a better experience than we have had as well.
I cannot say whether or not the vast majority who have moved here like it a lot, or not.
Yes, the population increases every year, but the reasons vary (job,relatives,military,economy,weather). I simply don't know whether the vast majority of folks like it a lot..and I wouldn't think anyone else knows either, unless they are a clairvoyant or have surveyed these folks.

FCF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio