Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:51 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times

Advertisements

Maybe they are just taking the path of least resistance. If there is too much traffic on the access road, some people will drive around it to avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 07:26 PM

163 posts, read 546,177 times
To skip the light at the intersection...

I personally think there's too many freeway entrances though.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:40 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,631 times
I'm all about skipping lights, but I think the OP was referring to those times where there aren't any intersections to pass. I actually do this in reverse on 1604 to skip the backups there sometimes...I'll take the access road which is way faster in spots than the actual expressway (but I'm not telling you where because I don't want my shortcuts getting all gummed up =-)

Old 05-15-2007, 12:04 PM

94 posts, read 654,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
I'll take the access road which is way faster in spots than the actual expressway (but I'm not telling you where because I don't want my shortcuts getting all gummed up =-)
LOL!!

Old 05-15-2007, 02:11 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,364 times
Looks like folks need to learn how to drive, when they're not driving!

I drove out to the Post Office during my lunch break and witnessed someone (car #1) reversing out of a parking spot and right into the direction of an SUV (#2) that was sitting there waiting to proceed on forward. In trying to avoid being hit, the driver (#2) then puts his SUV into reverse and tries to back up out of the way of the car that's reversing (#1). Well, there was a car (#3) behind this guy (#2) as well! This third car was honking his horn, but the #2 kept his SUV in reverse and smashed into him. And he kept hitting the gas after impact!!! Maybe he thought that one impact was better than two?!? One second later, car #2 smashes into the rear driver's side door of #2. I was sitting there watching the whole thing just knodding my head in unbelief.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:13 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,364 times
Quote:
I'm all about skipping lights, but I think the OP was referring to those times where there aren't any intersections to pass. I actually do this in reverse on 1604 to skip the backups there sometimes...I'll take the access road which is way faster in spots than the actual expressway (but I'm not telling you where because I don't want my shortcuts getting all gummed up =-)
I know a few of those myself. But it seems like more people are catching on as I see more cars taking these access or "back" roads!

Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 34,980 times
I just wish people would learn that an access ramp is to speed up and merge at hwy speeds...not pull up to the yield sign and tinker around at 30....

Old 05-18-2007, 09:40 AM

545 posts, read 2,283,631 times
Default I think I understand now...

Since this thread started, I started paying a little more attention to what actually goes on with the cars around me.

Seems that there are an awful lot of people here in SA who want to drive under the posted speed limit by 5-10 MPH. On 1604, this causes huge problems because then the people driving the speed limit, or even those who are driving 5 under have to pass those doing 60, which slows the left lane down to 70 or less, which upsets those of us who understand that it's OK to go slightly over the limit. Add that to people merging slowly and those already on the expressway slamming on their brakes at the last second to let people in, rather than creating space gradually and it leads to backups.

Of course, then there are those who just are yapping away on their phones at 5 under in the left lane....

Old 05-18-2007, 07:40 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,568 times
Quote:
Since this thread started, I started paying a little more attention to what actually goes on with the cars around me.

Seems that there are an awful lot of people here in SA who want to drive under the posted speed limit by 5-10 MPH. On 1604, this causes huge problems because then the people driving the speed limit, or even those who are driving 5 under have to pass those doing 60, which slows the left lane down to 70 or less, which upsets those of us who understand that it's OK to go slightly over the limit. Add that to people merging slowly and those already on the expressway slamming on their brakes at the last second to let people in, rather than creating space gradually and it leads to backups.

Of course, then there are those who just are yapping away on their phones at 5 under in the left lane....
Maybe TXDOT should put up 55 MPH signs like they have on the far West side of Loop 1604. Then everyone would go 70-75+ MPH like they do now.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:41 AM

370 posts, read 882,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the411 View Post
I have been reading all your posts and just thought I add my 2 cents worth. I just like some education on the matter on why the heck do people who take the entrance ramp to enter the freeway immediately take the next exit off? This is utterly pointless since no intersections are passed in this manner yet and on the slow lane have to slow down/speed up for no reason! Please don't use the excuse that excercising this manuever will get he/she to yield driving on the access roads to slow down or stop for those idiots coming off the exit ramp. I believe TXDOT alleviated by doing away with most yield signs and placing " do not cross double white lines" or something like that

Hi there,

This thread makes me realize that San Antonio may not yet be ready to "share" things like folks must adjust to living in a big city. Thank you for the reminder.

When I lived in the Suburbs near Chicago I too felt like I had wide open roads and my own bubble of space.

Now that I moved back into the city I realize that no, these roads are for everyone and we all have places to get to and need a place to park and that we really need to be a bit more generous and gracious and to stop thinking like spoiled kids.

If the person gets on the highway for only one exit...who cares? Same way as if the person on the bus doesn't fit into the seat next to you and their body touches you, who cares? Same issue as if the white haired older person needs some extra time to climb up the buss steps...who cares, we can wait a second. If we are in such a darn hurry that one extra second will make us too late then we left too late anyhow and it does not matter one bit.

Edit to disclaim: However, I no longer have commutes that require me to drive for an hour and a half though because the drive is too much time to be in the car and is stressful, perhaps this is the issue?

Gen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio