Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
I think the point sapphire is trying to make is that for SOME people it is bad.....she obviously knows some people who have had their jobs impacted in some form due to the economy. For those people, Forbes can say whatever it pleases, it doesn't improve their situation. I can tell you my hubby who is in retail has seen a decrease in store profits and therefore store bonuses the last two quarters due to the economy. Has that impacted my bottom line. Heck yeah it has. I'm sure many "retailers" have seen this as the norm. For their families as well in San Antonio this is a big deal - regardless of what Forbes says. For those families the facts are in their checking account. NEISD is about to let alot of teaching positions go very shortly too.

Sapphire, hope I didn't step on your toes.....
No, you didn't step on my toes at all. And yes, for SOME people it's bad, and for others it's good. And again, the very first line of this thread was a challenge. And yes, for some people, people I know very well, the economy in SA is BAD. No, I don't hang out with a bunch of retired military civilian contractor-types (not saying they are the only ones unaffected by any means) but if things don't start to improve countrywide, then more of us are going to feel the effects. Like it or not.

Sorry about your husband's bonuses. It sucks and I'm sure it hurts in some way. That's all I'm saying when I post what I post. I am not a "copy and paste a bunch of charts, graphs, and boring statistics" type of person. Real people with real stories (anecdotes, if you will ) is where you are going to get a true feel for what is happening, and I'm so sorry to disparage San Antonio in any way. I hope anyone contemplating a move to San Antonio (without a job) will just completely ignore what I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:28 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
well said!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
You folks seem to not understand that the article isn't dismissing the economy just simply reporting on improvements, SA just happens to place 2nd in their list, that's all.

No where in that list or this thread has it been said that SA is peachy keen and there are no worries. It it just one or two posters taking an incident ranking and inferring from it something terrible as if it's spitting on anyone who is out of work or is suffering. No one is doing that.

Instead of recognizing it for what it is, they are blowing it up and bringing it down because misery loves company.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I am not a "copy and paste a bunch of charts, graphs, and boring statistics" type of person. Real people with real stories (anecdotes, if you will ) is where you are going to get a true feel for what is happening, and I'm so sorry to disparage San Antonio in any way. I hope anyone contemplating a move to San Antonio (without a job) will just completely ignore what I'm saying.
Literally all of my family, friends and associates in this town have remained employed and none have had their pay cut that I am aware of. If I apply your logic here, that means San Antonio's economy is perfect. Hardly true either...

Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
Literally all of my family, friends and associates in this town have remained employed and none have had their pay cut that I am aware of. If I apply your logic here, that means San Antonio's economy is perfect. Hardly true either...
I'm so very happy for you, your family, friends and associates. Really.

I'm not asking you or anyone to apply anything. I relayed what I know to be happening to people near and dear to me. You relayed what you know to be happening in your life. Again, I'm happy for you and I think I mentioned in a post on here that some people are doing well and some aren't doing so well. So, don't go blow your money on SUV's and designer purses! Save just in case there is a rainy day headed your way!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:05 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
You folks seem to not understand that the article isn't dismissing the economy just simply reporting on improvements, SA just happens to place 2nd in their list, that's all.

No where in that list or this thread has it been said that SA is peachy keen and there are no worries. It it just one or two posters taking an incident ranking and inferring from it something terrible as if it's spitting on anyone who is out of work or is suffering. No one is doing that.

Instead of recognizing it for what it is, they are blowing it up and bringing it down because misery loves company.

wrong. go figure. I was simply responding to the initial remark of "still think it's bad"....
because yes, I do still think from my own experience and others that I am familiar with that there is still alot of room for improvement in the economy.
It's not about misery. Not about bringing SA down. I actually love it here. Again, I've lived in cities with an economy that fared worse. This was our city to start over again after a year and a half of hubby working odd jobs due to the economy just so we could avoid foreclosure.

I have stated and been very clear on all my points.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:30 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
The San Antonio area's unemployment rate surged to 7.7 percent in January as employers shed a whopping 15,700 jobs.

It's the highest unemployment rate in San Antonio in more than 10 years.

Virtually all industry sectors in San Antonio slashed jobs in January. Retailers led the pack, cutting 5,700 jobs. Education and health services eliminated 3,300 positions, while the hospitality sector axed 2,900 jobs. Government jobs fell by 1,500.

S.A.'s jobless rate soars

Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM

NEISD is eliminating 100 or more positions as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Yea Max !

San Antone is booming, compared to the rust belt. It is great !
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Anyone still want to talk about the bad economy here?!?

Cheers! M2

Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
San Antone is booming, compared to the rust belt. It is great !
Yea Max? Do we have cheerleaders now? This isn't a contest. Speaking about reality isn't disparaging to this city. Some sectors of industry weigh very heavy in this city as MMM pointed out....the military. At this point in time, most career military are in a pretty safe place. (Including career military who are retired and may be on their second career.) That makes this city rank fairly well for those folks. The areas hardest hit are going to be the non-essential" industries and businesses where people can cut back....say on the swimming pool they planned on, or a new car, or usual spending habits on dining out, entertainment and clothing. There is nothing wrong with admitting to reality.
Honestly, I'd rather FORBES keep their facts and figures to themselves. We don't need any more new residents showing up to live here without finding a job first. Those that ARE hurting in this city should be first in line.....not someone who read Forbes and thought it would be peachy to live here only to find you have to join the military. Nothing against the military before anyone goes Ape-poop.....but some of us don't quality. I'd give anything to still have my military benefits that my father earned through his career service to our country.

Of course I'm being a tad sarcastic, but this keeping points and cheer squad is sort of silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio